Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Silly Open Day

Options
  • 05-12-2008 3:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43

Maybe I'm just being overly cranky what with upcoming exams and all but does anyone else feel that having the open day 3 days before exams start was a stupid planning decision. I was just in Quinn and found the place bombarded with groups of open day visitors, seemingly ignorant to our last efforts to do some major cramming. I wasn't the only one who was a bit frazzled by this and was just wondering why the administration decided upon this date? I don't remember it being on the same time last year, or maybe I'm mistaken and am just being cranky and cynical now that I am in second year.:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

Its always around this time of year. Its when the least students are on campus so it makes sense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 HoldOnTight

Yeah you're right I suppose. Maybe if I got off boards and started study I could channel my frustration into some productive study time. Oh if life were so simple...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

They need a date that suits secondary students, wont have too many students about and is before the CAO kicks in. When else would they have it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭33% God

I don't mind, at least there are people around at the weekend for once.
    I just study in the library, they can't get in there :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

...Its when the least students are on campus so it makes sense

Isn't it on tomorrow too? I think tomorrow would've been much better than today.

I'd say within the next few years there'll be library tours. Thank God they're not in yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭pimpy_c

Don't these kids have exams coming up too? I'm presuming the open day is for secondary school students where exams are relatively important. Maybe if they didn't attend these open days and stayed home to study they might actually get the points to come here!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

pimpy_c wrote: »
    Don't these kids have exams coming up too? I'm presuming the open day is for secondary school students where exams are relatively important. Maybe if they didn't attend these open days and stayed home to study they might actually get the points to come here!
    No, I wouldn't say their exams are relatively important. The only school exam that counts is the LC and most wouldn't have even started studying for that yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭pimpy_c

Mr.S wrote: »
    Yes, bescause half a day of study will make a lot of difference to them :rolleyes:

If they're coming up from country schools, as I used to do, then it's a whole day gone. Not a biggy but what do you really gain from an open day? Does it really strongly influence people to come to a particular college?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

It didn't hinder me in any way, shape, or form...

In fact, I was perving on this girl earlier -- as I am want to do -- when it emerged that she was in fact one of those 6th years. Then I felt icky.

By "icky" I mean "her ass".

If they're not in the library or hogging the computers (which they can't, since they don't have login details) then they're not bothering me.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Tea-a-Maria

I may be alone on this..but I felt that the open day in UCD was really helpful in helping me decide my course.Was really impressed by the way you could find the stall for your course and talk to lecturers and such.I decided to go just to see what was out there(and for the day out:p) and came away completely sure I was going there.

I'm not bothered by the crowds here.Hell,I liked the fact that there were students around when I was there as an ickle 6th year.Gave the place a nice atmosphere.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Dave! wrote: »
    In fact, I was perving on this girl earlier -- as I am want to do -- when it emerged that she was in fact one of those 6th years. Then I felt icky.

By "icky" I mean "her ass".
    lol :)

Open day kids do one thing: make me feel old.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

Isnt there another open day around the cheltenham festival? I vaguely remember signing in in 5th year and then heading off to the bookies for the day. happy times.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

It used to be on in March every year, but then (probably for maximum "get em before the CAO forms"-ness) it was switched to December. I remember planning to go to the open day in March of 5th year but it got cancelled because they thought all the culchies coming up might spread foot & mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

Some schools don't have christmas exams. They just have the pres and the LC.
    If they're coming up from country schools, as I used to do, then it's a whole day gone. Not a biggy but what do you really gain from an open day? Does it really strongly influence people to come to a particular college?

I'm also from the country and if I hadn't gone to an open day I wouldn't have come here

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭woop

yeh I remember it being a lot more packed on my open day.........and there were sabatical posters up

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Zounds

I think it should be on while the students are here myself. It would be far more representative and there would be a much better atmosphere than the dreaded empty-concrete-UCD. Also I think they should get clubs and societies involved in the open days. A lot of people have no idea that they exist and they ones that do are very short on details, I've heard many people say that they wouldn't come to UCD because of the size and then had their minds changed after a conversation about clubs and socs.

Must say this to someone in a position to implement it actually...

Advertisement