Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Midlands MMA?

• 05-12-2008 3:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

Would anyone know if there is anything available in the midlands area?
    Also if there would be enough interest we could start our own club down here, I know a great bjj instructor all we would need is stand up.
    All I can seem to find on the net is city based clubs and the midlands should really have something for this ever growing sport.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭spiral

AFAIK there is a muay thai guy in the GAA club once a week Phoenix MT I think . There is also a Sub wrestling club in Mullingar as well. I am from Tullamore originally and still go home a fair bit so it would be great to get a roll in at home when Im visiting.
    Who is the BJJ instructor ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭Marty Mc

i have a friend who has been working in tullamore quite abit recently and would no doubt appreciate some thai and bjj..

Are there any contact details avilable to get intouch with the respective instructors?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Jonny O' Dwyer

Hey guys my BJJ coach is Mariusz Domasat he is part of the Marcello Monteiro BJJ Association. More info at bjjcoach.com.
    I am currently doing kickboxing in Mullingar with David Doyle (IKF instructor).
    Realistically speaking though we could get a gym started between us and some coaches. As im sure if there was enough interest the coaches and rent would be well looked after.
    Anyways for any furhter info on these coaches please pm me.
    Also if you guys are ever around, I have a small gym with mats and equipment at home so id be happy to give you my details if you want to roll.:)

I forgot to mention that Mariusz trains out of the NUI Maynooth but would be willing to train us Tullamore for 70 euro an hour

What belt is your instructor Marius ?
    Cant find this on the site ?

• Advertisement

Mariusz has black belt (Traditional Jiu-jitsu), Purple belt (Gracie BJJ) and waiting to be graded by Marcello Monteiro which is the most prestigous BJJ in the world. I doubt you would find that info on the site. It would only tell you that he is a registered instructor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

Marcello Monteiro which is the most prestigous BJJ in the world.

that's a very grand statement

that's a very grand statement

I know, but by many top instructors around the world he is regarded as the best bjj technician in current times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Drunkmonkey79

Where is the proposed gym going to be?

jonny who did mariusz get his purple belt from ?

• Advertisement

^Oh im not really sure mate^ I will have to ask him next time I see him.

Where is the proposed gym going to be?

I dont know for sure yet but a place central to most of the midland towns would be best.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Tyler MacDurden

I am currently doing kickboxing in Mullingar with David Doyle (IKF instructor).
    Realistically speaking though we could get a gym started between us and some coaches. As im sure if there was enough interest the coaches and rent would be well looked after.
    Anyways for any furhter info on these coaches please pm me.
    Also if you guys are ever around, I have a small gym with mats and equipment at home so id be happy to give you my details if you want to roll.:)

Hi Jonny, just wondering where you do the kickboxing with David Doyle? Not part of Phoenix Muay Thai I presume?

Also, I hear that the grappling club has moved into Phoenix MT's premises, not been to either yet myself due to injury.

My mates and I have a pretty decent set up (mats, bags, weights, etc.) in a vacant store unit in Mullingar, unfortunately we're pretty restricted as to who we can bring along. Damn it, just broke the first rule again. ;) It would be nice to get a proper club going in the midlands though, let's see how much interest we get here...

The kickboxing is held in the new community centre in the new part of Dalton Park @ 7pm on mondays and Rathwire Hall, Killucan @ 7pm on Fridays. It is full contact. Is Pheonix MT full contact? I used to train with a guy called Pat in Mullingar but his class was poor and only allowed semi-contact. I am very competetive and like to both strike and grapple with 100% effort.
    To pay rent and trainers we would probably be looking at 20 members @ 120 euro membership per month. This would provide classes every day monday to saturday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Roper

Doesn't Very Nice Pat run a grappling club in the midlands? Think it's Mullingar.

Roper wrote: »
    Doesn't Very Nice Pat run a grappling club in the midlands? Think it's Mullingar.

Yeah, it's Pat's club that has found a home in Phoenix MT's gym. Can't wait to give it a shot, good guy by all accounts.

D'Alton Park, eh Jonny? You're guaranteed your urban combatives as well in that case. :D

I was in the other Pat's kickboxing class too, wonder if we ever air-sparred each other? Classes like that are a waste of time to be honest, you'd get a black belt without ever throwing a punch.

As far as I know, Phoenix cater for all levels and have a wide range of classes as well as open training slots. http://www.phoenixmuaythai.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

vnp is one of my favourite people to train with

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭Furious-Dave

The kickboxing is held in the new community centre in the new part of Dalton Park @ 7pm on mondays and Rathwire Hall, Killucan @ 7pm on Fridays. It is full contact. Is Pheonix MT full contact? I used to train with a guy called Pat in Mullingar but his class was poor and only allowed semi-contact. I am very competetive and like to both strike and grapple with 100% effort.
    To pay rent and trainers we would probably be looking at 20 members @ 120 euro membership per month. This would provide classes every day monday to saturday.

Sorry to interrupt but I just wanted to ask a question about this post. When you say you "like to both strike and grapple with 100% effort" do you mean regular sparring during training? I ask because to me 100% effort is when you're fighting with the intent of doing serious harm to your opponent. More importantly it's impossible to learn when going at 100% so it has no place in regular training.
    I know I'm probably digging myself into another whole here but I really hate the whole sparring = fighting, and the "BEEFCAKE!" attitude seen far too often in combat sports. I'm not saying that you have this attitude which is why I'm asking the question.

Yeah, it's Pat's club that has found a home in Phoenix MT's gym. Can't wait to give it a shot, good guy by all accounts.

D'Alton Park, eh Jonny? You're guaranteed your urban combatives as well in that case. :D

I was in the other Pat's kickboxing class too, wonder if we ever air-sparred each other? Classes like that are a waste of time to be honest, you'd get a black belt without ever throwing a punch.

As far as I know, Phoenix cater for all levels and have a wide range of classes as well as open training slots. http://www.phoenixmuaythai.ie/

Thanks for the link mate. I think im gonna stick with dave and mariusz for now though as they both have a high level in their respective disiplines imo. I will definately get in touch with pheonix though and check out there scene. Funny enough we dont have any guys from D'Alton Park training with us now, LOL at the comment though!:D

Furious Dave, I like to create the fight enviorment with the thought in mind that ''I am training'' and ''this is my partner, not opponent''. I like to go hard as possible to better prepare myself and training partners for the real fight situation and I expect the same from my partners to me.
    Hope this answers your question.

• Advertisement

Is ''Very Nice Pat'' and '' other Pat'' the same or no???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭Furious-Dave

Furious Dave, I like to create the fight enviorment with the thought in mind that ''I am training'' and ''this is my partner, not opponent''. I like to go hard as possible to better prepare myself and training partners for the real fight situation and I expect the same from my partners to me.
    Hope this answers your question.

Ye that's cool, thanks. I only asked as when I saw "100% effort" I thought, hmm, I wonder what would happen if I or some of the people I train with threw a low kick or knees at 100% effort and I shuddered :)

Is ''Very Nice Pat'' and '' other Pat'' the same or no???

Nope, VNP is the grappling coach and "other Pat" is the lad who used to do the TaeBo-ish classes. :D Pat McHale or something, wasn't it? I should remember, I got many multi-coloured belts of little value from him. ;)

Great stuff lads, I got in contact with pheonix and got the ''low down''. They do full contact muai thai and wrestling. Id love to roll with them some time but for now im sticking with my respective clubs.
    Lol, Tyler. That is so true!
    Anymore midland interest in a club keep posting here and let me know what you are currently doing and where.
    :D

Advertisement