Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things that annoy me in Dundalk !

Options
  • 05-12-2008 3:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭

i'm in an irritable mood today and some of you are going to reply just stating what a moanig b**ch i am but i'm giving out about things that really bug me in dundalk. i suppose most of it could be classed as general throughout the country but i'll start with dundalk as a starting point.

1. people at traffic lights on hill street bridge, who just will not move until 15 secs after they go green.

2. whoever designed the marshes must never shop, or eat, everything is too far away, surely the food court should be central. and don't even get me started on the banking machines.

3. the self service tills in tesco, 'unexpected item in bagging area'!!!!! yes it's
    the bloody bag ! then the assistance they ask you to call for is too busy telling her mate what she's wearing out this weekend to even bother helping you and has a face on her when she does bother coming over. i wonder how far i'd get if i attempted to walk out of the shop without paying.

4. the fact that when i pay park and the machine is broken, i have to walk 4 mile to get another one.

5. The craters on the ard easmuinn side entrance to dunnes ! i mean seriously ! not to mention the grand canyon as you take a left from dublin st down the side of sherry fitz

i'm in a bad mood, and i'm just not gonna take it anymore !

feel free to add, refute or agree.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,579 ✭✭✭kingshankly

1 queues in the bank of ireland was great when we had 2
    2 atm in the marshes never working bugs me surely it can be too hard to maintain a fecking cash machine
    3 the hospital situation could go on all day about that
    4 crap cinema (new one on the way)
    5 and last but not least everyone knows your buisness

but i have to admit dundalk has seen some great changes in recent years with the introduction of some leading retailers and brilliant leisure facilities incuding jjb ice dome and felda

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

If I had something to give out about it would be the seriously high cancer rates, the number of familys nearing, or already on the breadline, a hospital that's being closed department by department with over a dozen patients on trolleys and a bunged A&E in the nearest one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 rayme1

that y every1 goes to newry,no payparking there to shop...and they wonder y it does so little business?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭indiewindy

The disappearing atm machines of Dundalk bugs me as over the past few months more have gone
    Hill Street Bridge please knock it down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭TommyT

As mentioned above, we have to pay to park in The Marshes while parking is free in Sainsburys in Newry.
    Peak time in Aldi, you only popped in for half a dozen items and there are only 2 tills open and the place is packed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭up the town

Let me think...........
    Overpricing of basicly everything, food, clothes Taxis
    Romanians selling roses after niteclubs.
    Lack of garda presence on roads, (amount of drunk drivers is serious)
    Lack of a decent niteclub, they just seem to all be dropping their standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭bush Baby

Ohhhh don't get me started, the entire town should be bulldozed. I'm making a list of the people who shouldn't be told when the bulldozing starts.

My pet concern is the hospital. If they don't want it open then why can't we go to Newry which is closer to most of the population than Drogheda?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

bush Baby wrote: »
    Ohhhh don't get me started, the entire town should be bulldozed. I'm making a list of the people who shouldn't be told when the bulldozing starts.

My pet concern is the hospital. If they don't want it open then why can't we go to Newry which is closer to most of the population than Drogheda?

Why can't you? :confused: I'm not being flippant, it's a genuine query. I honestly don't know the answer but have often thought about it. Can't Dundalk residents access services in Newry, which although in another jurisdiction is still within the EU? Whether its private or otherwise, or emergency or otherwise? Anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

I think you can, though I'd imagine you'd have to go private. We wouldn't be covered by the national health service. Lots of woment book in for maternity, usually seeing a consultant privately. Vhi or Bupa cover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Bad mood or not you have little to complain about. We're burying a close friend tomorrow after cancer (aged 30), the recession is costing many people their jobs, the credit crunch is making business harder and buying a house more difficult, the number of homeless is growing...

As for Bette's moans: The traffic Lights thing is by no means unique to Dundalk, The Marshes food court thank God is not central as the smell from Subway and others is very off-putting, The Tesco Self-service problem is also not unique to this town, If you take 4 minutes to walk from one ticket machine to another then there's something wrong with you but I agree it's annoying when they don't work - again Dundalk is not the only place this happens, and the Pot Holes are by no means as bad in Town as elsewhere around the country. Bette you need to get out more. What in Dundalk annoys you? Not a lot, but plenty of things in the country as a whole seem to annoy you. Are they worth being annoyed about? Most certainly not. If these things are at the top of your list then life must be very sweet girl!

• Advertisement

I think Bette was only having a light hearted rant, I don't think she really is seriously upset about all them things:). Very sorry to hear about your friend, that really is tragic. This time of year and all.:( May they rest in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,805 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

You know what really grinds my gears? This Lindsay Lohan. Lindsay Lohan with all those little outfits, jumping around there on stage, half-naked with your little outfits. Ya know? You're a... You're out there jumping around and I'm just sitting here with my beer. So, what am I supposed to do? What you want? You know, are we gonna go out? Is that what you're trying to - why why are you leaping around there, throwing those things all up in my, over there in my face? What do you want, Lindsay? Tell me what you want? Well, I'll tell you what you want, you want nothing. You want nothing. All right? Because we all know that no woman anywhere wants to have sex with anyone, and to titillate us with any thoughts otherwise is - is just bogus.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

The only thing that really annoys me about the town is the hospital situation, apart from that I like the town :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭bettedavis

Bad mood or not you have little to complain about. We're burying a close friend tomorrow after cancer (aged 30), the recession is costing many people their jobs, the credit crunch is making business harder and buying a house more difficult, the number of homeless is growing...

As for Bette's moans: The traffic Lights thing is by no means unique to Dundalk, The Marshes food court thank God is not central as the smell from Subway and others is very off-putting, The Tesco Self-service problem is also not unique to this town, If you take 4 minutes to walk from one ticket machine to another then there's something wrong with you but I agree it's annoying when they don't work - again Dundalk is not the only place this happens, and the Pot Holes are by no means as bad in Town as elsewhere around the country. Bette you need to get out more. What in Dundalk annoys you? Not a lot, but plenty of things in the country as a whole seem to annoy you. Are they worth being annoyed about? Most certainly not. If these things are at the top of your list then life must be very sweet girl!

jeez chillax shameen, did i not pre-mpt your comment by saying i knew i was generalising? have you never just had a day where you sweat the small stuff. i'm not a complete vacous idiot who doesn't know what 'real' problems are. i was being flippant, i'm sure most people read it that way. no need to attack. have you never in your life got irritated by the little things. i've commented on this page re bad service in restaurant, someone else asked where they might get a jigsaw. by the same token you should attack them. i've had as much tragedy in my life as anyone else. yet your trying to suggest i'm some sort of airhead living behind rose tinted glasses. If i were to return the sentiment i could say, why are you on boards when you could be spending that time raising money for the homeless. Life just isn't like that, and i resent your inferences throughout your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

indiewindy wrote: »
    The disappearing atm machines of Dundalk bugs me as over the past few months more have gone
    Hill Street Bridge please knock it down

I used to have access to 3 PTSB machines - top of Clanbrassil St., the Square and the one on Dublin St, round the corner from Stapleton Place. Now there's only one. :(

The sooner the Hill St bridge goes, the better. I like what they've done over at the top of the Avenue road, beside Lidl re the vets, gym and shop. Looks well. :)

In general I like Dundalk. I like the film club at the town hall as well as their stage productions, I like the Art Gallery below it, I like the Spirit Store for live music, I like the Icedome for hockey and skating, I like Oriel Park to watch football, I love the library, I like the SVP shop for books, I like a variety of pubs and restaurants and I like the easy access to Stephenstown Pond and Cooley Peninsula/Carlingford. There are other things I like too.

There's a bank machine in Dunnes in Park St down at the back wall. Grand and handy, only found it about a year ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Bingles

is that still there? I thought I was in there a wee while ago and it was gone, maybe Im dreaming

Maybe it is gone, typical of my luck. I find it and it goes awol.:( I'm inclined to forget the bank machine at the McArdle meat entrance to the Marshes and the one on the outside wall near to the Ramparts. Dunnes there used to have two but the one that never works is gone now.

I think we have loads of ATMs: between those on the street and in petrol stations,shops and shopping centres. Then there's the Laser Cash Back in shops as well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Trouble

Dundalks most annoying feature imo, is the complete lack of Spar/Centra/Londis Etc, Shops in the town centre.

• Advertisement

Trouble wrote: »
    Dundalks most annoying feature imo, is the complete lack of Spar/Centra/Londis Etc, Shops in the town centre.

That bar 'Danes' on Earl St. is being converted I believe, the ground floor at street level that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

That bar 'Danes' on Earl St. is being converted I believe, the ground floor at street level that is.

They are making a 24 hour londis......

No harm Sarge, a bit of competition for that joke of a shop beside the Imperial, it's currently the only 24hr shop in the town centre that I'm aware of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Oh my kind of thread...how did I miss this up until now? :)

Hmm, where to begin...traffic lights have been mentioned, so I'll expand on that.
    Why the hell do we have so many of them? I'm convinced that people on the UDC are getting backhanders from traffic light installers/manafacturers or something. Then there's the timing...my personal bugbear is the set on the bypass at the Crowne Plaza...nevermind the fact that an urban arterial route is held to ransom by a private commercial building (with little traffic), but they are set to go to red right after traffic coming from xerox/fairways direction has gone green! WTF?
    More traffic light outrages.
    The set on the old mullaghharlin rd that crosses the N52 where it nears the M1. The bane of my existence. Oh yes, let's slow down all that fast moving traffic coming to and from the motorway so that we can let 2 cars out (or 1 car that's swerved across the trigger pads)...there's an 80kmph limit on a DC and they let a road that should either have went under or over the N52, dictate the constant flow of traffic. Not to mention that when sputhbound, you get very little warning time on amber before the lights turn red...when doing 80 in the wet, it can be touch and go whether you get stopped in time. Ther'es been plenty of accidents here, no fatalities yet. Only a matter of time I think.

Hill St bridge already mentioned...my only issue with this junction are the tossers who on attempting to turn right onto the avenue road refuse to move to the middle of the road and allow northbound traffic heading into the town to pass on the inside...if I'm approaching from the other way, I'll always try and let the muppet in question to cross, just so the other 15 cars behind them can progress.

Ramparts/The Marshes: I want to kill the person that designed the traffic flow system at this junction. Where do I start? The slip lane for the turn into the marshes...you'll get 4, perhaps 5 cars into that lane on a good day...the rest of us waiting behind to either enter the lane or continue eastwards get to wait for it to clear...which would be fine if the light sequence actually allowed more than 3 cars at a time to make the right turn. At one point in the sequence ALL lights are red (not for pedsetrians benefit either as far as I can see) and traffic stops in all directions. Why wasn't there a r'about put here? They saw fit to put one at the other end where there is far less traffic. Also why do we need two sets of lights? Couldn't they have placed the ped crossing back down toward the other set? Again, someone getting a kickback IMO.
    Enough about traffic lights. As you can see I could go on all night...

On to the taxi rank and it's continual growth around towards the PTSB and onwards toward Benny Brady's. Anyone else hate this? Playing 'dodge the suicidal pedestrians' at the square is bad enough without having to negotiate the narrow width that's left after 4 or 5 "taxis" (I use the term loosely here) have joined the rank. This is dangerous. What ever happened to the laws about not being able to park within 10m of traffic lights? Where are bill and ben, our 2 favourite traffic wardens? Oh yeah that's right, they're round in boyd's carpark waiting to make another handy 60 quid off some poor eejit who couldn't find a working parking meter (not to worry folks, the new 17% increase in parking fees is to provide replacements for those vandalised by the Roma beggars).

While we're on about parking...and the lack of any enforcement of the relevant laws by the two wardens, the situation at carrols village/cinema is downright dangerous. People just abandon vehicles at any point along the entire street ignoring double yellows and also the fact that there are 3 lanes of traffic there at one point. An accident waiting to happen.
    Double pariking in general around town, especially in park st leads to so many snarl ups but again, little seems to get done.

What else. Hospital already mentioned...in particular this crazy HSE bullsh*t about children under 14 having to go to Lourdes for anything. Plus an A&E that "closes" at 5pm? What in the blue hell? Sorry I forgot, people only injure themselves or get ill during office hours, my bad :rolleyes:

Nightclubs already mentioned. What nightclubs?
    Kehoes owning half of Park St and their oh so welcoming door policy.
    Pubs in the town in general...I simply don't bother anymore...either full of stuck up f*ckers or scumbags. No middleground at all. Even if there was someplace, there's nowhere to go afterwards club wise.

Trains. Not strictly a Dundalk problem but the services to Dublin are almost always packed, it's very rarely if ever you'd get seats enough for you and whoever you're with. The service is grand, just a shame there's so few trains. I'm just glad I don't have to use the service for my work commute.
    5 and last but not least everyone knows your buisness
    Yep, that's the one I hate most of all. Biggest bunch of gossiping friggers in this town...it's not even the gossiping, that's to be expected...it's the attitudes and disdain shown by people towards others that's expressed in this busibodiedness. For the size of the place it's the epitome or parochial.
    I don't bother much going out in it or spending leisure time in it anymore...it's a grand town, far from the worst, but there are lots of aspects to it that annoy the hell out of me.

At least it's not Drogheda :pac:
    Kidding mods, I swear...

I imagine there's smoke billowing from that keyboard Wertz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

It's a pity there's not some billowing from a few sets of traffic lights :pac:

Speaking of smoke...

*logs off*

• Registered Users Posts: 14,805 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

I imagine there's smoke billowing from that keyboard Wertz.

hah! fantastic!
    yano wat really grinds my gears, not strictly a dundalk problem either, but i hopped on the bus in athlone to dundalk tonite, the bus driver accepted my return ticket to dundalk, failed to tell me i had to change in navan, i got on, dozed off as you do, woke up thinkin "this looks like mullingar...again!"to put a long story short,i wasnt told i have to change at navan. the no.70 has been a direct athlone to dundalk for quite a while now.and apparently its changed in the past week or so...

pity bus eireann failed to tell the general public though!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Cpt Tremendous

look thngs can always be worse, I can appreciate the fact that you had a rough day and started sweating the small stuff, it happens us all.

I dont appreciate that other twonk comin on and trying to guilt trip people for feelin bad cos their mate is dying.

News flash, we all lose people close to us, just because you are suffereing a loss doesn't give you the right to disregard someone elses problems. Its all about perspective.

From the Op's point of view those little things were frustrating, just becaue you have someone dying doesnt make them not important. There just not important to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭bettedavis

look thngs can always be worse, I can appreciate the fact that you had a rough day and started sweating the small stuff, it happens us all.

I dont appreciate that other twonk comin on and trying to guilt trip people for feelin bad cos their mate is dying.

News flash, we all lose people close to us, just because you are suffereing a loss doesn't give you the right to disregard someone elses problems. Its all about perspective.

From the Op's point of view those little things were frustrating, just becaue you have someone dying doesnt make them not important. There just not important to you.

TBH the fact that we can be frustrated and annoyed by such things is a godsend......it means that i don't have cancer or have just lost my job, if the lack of working atm in the town bothers me, at least it means that i probably have money to withdraw should i ever find one!! but thats the thing about life, it is all about context and perspective. We've all lost someone and today may be the best day of my life but the most devastating of yours! Tonight when i go home and walk into my pre heated home, turn on my oven, my telly, my bath, all without thought i will watch the news and see the children lying dead and maimed in Gaza or the antics of Mugabe in Zimbabwe and i'll feel disgusted with myself that my life is blessed with what i have. But it won't stop me from flicking over to corrie or throwing that last few slices of bread into the bin cause there a little bit off. You can't live your life like that Srameen . You just have to do the best you can.

• Advertisement

Apologies for the drift off topic.

I get what you are saying Bette but I don't live my life like that at all. Far from it.:)
    I was just making a point on perspective way back 2 months ago.

I actually learned many years ago not to let events unduly annoy me. Of course the death of a close friend (not my greatest loss to date BTW) will put the spin out of kilter for a while and an unfuntioning ATM may give rise to a quick expletive some days but I don't let them annoy me or carry them around on my shoulder as some may.
    So let's not loose the run of ourselves on this. It's just a thread on a messageboard.:D

Advertisement