Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things that annoy me in Dundalk !

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I dont appreciate that other twonk comin on and trying to guilt trip people for feelin bad cos their mate is dying.

Banned. Personal abuse is not permitted here. When your ban is up take some time to read each forum's charter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Guvnor

Very little annoys me with Dundalk tbh. I like the place. Pretty user friendly traffic wise. Could do with a nice new cinema but we hear one might be coming.

The pay parking is a joke - amazing how in the north it's free. Even worse is the pound for trolleys in Newry and no pound further up - do they think us dodgy southerners will poach the odd trolley or something?

As I said I like Dundalk - I like the back roads and find the infrastructure pretty decent - racing stadium is pretty cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 TheSpoon

Guvnor wrote: »
    Even worse is the pound for trolleys in Newry and no pound further up - .

Try using a 20c coin, works in the Dunnes trollies and if it raining just abandon the trolly,you'll be keeping some young lad in a job ( and a 20c tip, lol)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Guvnor

Top tip mate will give it a go!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

TheSpoon wrote: »
    Try using a 20c coin, works in the Dunnes trollies and if it raining just abandon the trolly,you'll be keeping some young lad in a job ( and a 20c tip, lol)

Yeah but the poor sod will be expecting £1 when out pops a 20c coin. Man that's cruel.
    But very very funny

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭lunacyfoundme

Heres my list;

No one like traffic lights, but what about the traffic lights on the roundabout at the end of the avenue road? WTF? Traffic lights on a roundabout!?! The only thing i can think of that's more humiliating and soul destroying than having to stop for a red light while you're on a roundabout is having a US Marines mid digits jammed up your reverse mouth before you get packed off to Guantanamo for a life sentence of self reflection and ponderment.

Also annoyed by the fact that the town seems to be overrun with hooded gangsta wannabes that would'nt be half as brave if you met them on their own and the army of marathon runner look a like heroin addicts (for names and details see any edition of the Argus).

Hopeless drunks that hang around the doorways of 'certain' Dundalk pubs spending their days drinking away their dole or child benefit money.

Taxi fares being so high, I live 9 miles outside of town so to get a taxi home costs about €22. Five years ago it was €10.

The alleyway in boyd's car park linking it to clanbrassil street. Can't tell you how many times I've nearly been run over by aholes speeding down it while I'm walking through it. They should all be arrested for dangerous driving.

The only complaint about the cinema I have is the little teenage dkheads going on dates and talking the whole way through a film. I always tell them to shut up or they'll get a slap. Never fails.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Oh Lunacy found you alright.:D
    You lost me in some of this but I'll try my best to decipher. The lights at the Avenue Rd roundabout are not unique to Dundalk. You need to travel more. They are essential for pedestrians and I have found them invaluable many times. It's called road safety. You lost me on the US Marines bit.
    Hoodies exist everywhere. It's your own percetion that clouds your fear of them. I don't get the reference to marathon runners so I can't comment.
    Sad to see drunks on the street, I agree wholeheartedly. Sadder for their families. You'll see them in any reasonably sized town in Ireland. Doesn't make it any less annoying but it's a fact of life.

Yes Taxi fares went up all over the country. Blame the Taxi Regulator.

The Boyds alley is a problem. I feel it should probably be prohibited to pedestrians. I use one of the other routes out of the carpark - usually through the "mall".

I've rarely been to a Cinema anywhere were youngsters haven't yapped through the film. Little tikes aren't they?:P

I hope the opportunity for a little rant and steam release has helped to settle the nerves. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭bettedavis

In fairness youngsters aren't the only demographic who do this, it just takes one idiot of any age sex or creed to ruin a good movie and they always tend to sit in my vicinity! doing a running commentary to their mate or questioning every plot twist. i'd love to do like in the movies, stand up, turn round and tell them to shut the **** up. unfortunately in the movies they shut up, in reality you get abused and lynched in the car park afterward !

Heres my list;

No one like traffic lights, but what about the traffic lights on the roundabout at the end of the avenue road? WTF? Traffic lights on a roundabout!?!

these lights don't bother me as such. the idiots that ignore them do. you could sit on a red light for almost a minute and here comes this ignoramous who hasn't got the brain to wonder for what possible reason there is no traffic at all on the roundabout at half five on a friday evening ! I actually think it's all locals who ignore them, they think cause there was always a roundabout there without lights they will get away it ignoring them cause there not 'real' lights, just temporary diversions if a class of school children should wish to go on a wander ! It's like the imaginery roundabout at kfc, icedome, jjb area. i was parked in the car park one day and it's amazing to see the amount of people who just completely ignore it, i know it's not hugely visible but surely we have to have some awareness in terms of obstacles or markings. Bizarre carry on !

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I spent this weekend in Fundalk, was good craic!

Only thing that annoyed me was yer wan that gave me her number and didnt bother texting back!!:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,805 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

awww!!
    its the little things mate, its the little things!

well another good thing to mention is that Tony's chipper, i couldnt even finish the large chips! It was delish.

An annoying things, i didnt get to try the pizza beside Ridleys!

An annoying things, i didnt get to try the pizza beside Ridleys!

They're closed? You didn't miss anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Please do not tarnish us all with the same brush.it's a personal hate of mine and usually tell the people to shut up, Went to role models when it came out and was infront of 3 complete geeks who's objective it was to laugh louder than everyone else and then laugh at the unfunny bits. I made the mistake last week of going to the cinema. I was going with two mates who were meeting a massive group of girls there. I know about 3 of the girls so sat beside one of them. I've decided im never going to the cinema in such a big group again. One person gets up OH GET ME DIS WIL YA AND ILL PAY YA BAK. Endless commentary, funny " jokes " and shouting.

Granted i went to my bloody valentine, so i should have assumed girls wouldn't have been ok with the idea of a pick ax into somebodys eye.:pac:

SDTimeout wrote: »
    Please do not tarnish us all with the same brush.....

Who are you refering to :confused:

Well i am 16, so i was refering to the people who claimed kids ruined flims.:pac:

Ahhh right, cheers :)

Sad about mizzoni's mind, my mates always raved about the wagon wheel. I'm a dominos man myself

Are you sure its closed?? It was definitely opened at the weekend!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭sammyv

Yes i got something lastnight in it, deffo not closed.

• Advertisement

Stupidly enough i went to gran torino last night with a bigger crowd i think we had almost a full row. Never again as " funny " as it was to see an old man ? in pyjama bottoms up to his waist there was really no need to laugh louder than everyone in the cinema and then for the next 5 min and one of them turned the lights on.

Defo going to watchmen and knowing with just my mates

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 RONOC08

Sad about mizzoni's mind, my mates always raved about the wagon wheel. I'm a dominos man myself
    Mizzonis? Gone? Dang There The Only 1s Who Deliver To Me Dominos Is Way Too Dear:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭TheBigFella

Well i am 16, so i was refering to the people who claimed kids ruined flims.:pac:

You must be one of the few who isn't annoying. The young teens are worst that 5 or 6 year olds. Shouting across the cinema to each other, changing seats every 10 mins, talking out loud and consistantly popping in and out to toilets/shops etc...

I'm sure its not a problem confined to Dundalk but its here that we see it and have to put up with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭indiewindy

RONOC08 wrote: »
    Mizzonis? Gone? Dang There The Only 1s Who Deliver To Me Dominos Is Way Too Dear:mad:

Not closed, seemed to be doing a bit of trade last Friday night

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

bettedavis wrote: »
    these lights don't bother me as such. the idiots that ignore them do. you could sit on a red light for almost a minute and here comes this ignoramous who hasn't got the brain to wonder for what possible reason there is no traffic at all on the roundabout at half five on a friday evening ! I actually think it's all locals who ignore them, they think cause there was always a roundabout there without lights they will get away it ignoring them cause there not 'real' lights, just temporary diversions if a class of school children should wish to go on a wander ! It's like the imaginery roundabout at kfc, icedome, jjb area. i was parked in the car park one day and it's amazing to see the amount of people who just completely ignore it, i know it's not hugely visible but surely we have to have some awareness in terms of obstacles or markings. Bizarre carry on !

Can I stab a guess that you don't drive yourself? You were sitting in the passenger seat right? I totally excuse anyone who doesn't drive. How could you know if you are not familiar with the road.

They are, in actual fact, not real lights. They are the result of the pure petulent incompetence of the road planners in this town.

Us locals know that there was once a problem with that roundabout when the thing was tiny. It was a black spot. After that they tore it up and made crossroads. But the lights were crazy. Queues forever. Then they tore that up and made another, bigger roundabout having bought and knocked the houses on the corners. And it worked perfectly. No one died. Traffic was bearable. Peachy.

Then some absolute fking muppet decided to put those lights there. They are not like other roundabouts. Roundabout lights have an order. A traffic flow. Like real lights they open the road for use at a green light. These lights don't have green lights. They have big stupid orange duplo lights. Like blinking sign saying:

"STUPID" .. "STUPID" .. "STUPID"

And they stop you even when you are IN the roundabout. And all come back on at once. And then everyone takes off at the same time into the roundabout. And there is a near crash every time. If I am in the roundabout I get the hell out lights or not.

I guess that many go through them because of one or several or all of these reasons:

1) They are stupid. As in, there was no thought WHATSOEVER put into them. *BEEP, TRY AGAIN*
    2) They are so stupid they are just an insult to the intellegence of the town as a whole.
    3) Stopping is like admitting you are one of the stupid people.
    4) They are dangerous. Beware speed racers trying to get into the roundabout first. Beware especially 4 trying to get in first.
    5) They are even stupider than the Marshes turnoff, the green, no wait, yield, yeah ok green lights outside Oscars or the Steal My Life Xerox lights. There has to be a line and this is it.
    6) The thing was perfect before, now it is just stupid. I protest.
    7) The road is crossed by 3 pedestrains a day. How stupid is that?
    8) What happened to our flyover? We want our flyover. This was the main Dublin to Belfast road until very recently.
    9) I'm praying that some day someone will actually stop and give out to me and maybe I can find out from them who was behind this since there's a fair chance they know the person to agree in the first place.
    10) I actuallly agree wit the constept, im just to stupid too see the lites.

My friend has a theory that it's conception was influenced heavily by the menstrual cycle. I think she might be onto something. Could also be small man syndrome. YOU WILL ALL STOP FOR ME! Or childhood bullying. In which case he did in fact get us all back.

Whatever way you look at it, if you know the road you also know that those lights are the most prominent display of pure stupidity in a mass of prime examples.

Why don't you get off the fence and tell us what you really think The Clown Man :pac:

I also think it's the worst designed/executed junction I've seen anyhwere in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I also think it's the worst designed/executed junction I've seen anyhwere in the world.

I wouldn't go that far. http://www.cbrd.co.uk/badjunctions/1-405.shtml

I may have overstated it a little. It's certainly one of the worst/dangerous from a pedestrian point of view.

Can I stab a guess that you don't drive yourself? You were sitting in the passenger seat right? I totally excuse anyone who doesn't drive. How could you know if you are not familiar with the road.

They are, in actual fact, not real lights. They are the result of the pure petulent incompetence of the road planners in this town.

Us locals know that there was once a problem with that roundabout when the thing was tiny. It was a black spot. After that they tore it up and made crossroads. But the lights were crazy. Queues forever. Then they tore that up and made another, bigger roundabout having bought and knocked the houses on the corners. And it worked perfectly. No one died. Traffic was bearable. Peachy.

Then some absolute fking muppet decided to put those lights there. They are not like other roundabouts. Roundabout lights have an order. A traffic flow. Like real lights they open the road for use at a green light. These lights don't have green lights. They have big stupid orange duplo lights. Like blinking sign saying:

"STUPID" .. "STUPID" .. "STUPID"

And they stop you even when you are IN the roundabout. And all come back on at once. And then everyone takes off at the same time into the roundabout. And there is a near crash every time. If I am in the roundabout I get the hell out lights or not.

I guess that many go through them because of one or several or all of these reasons:

1) They are stupid. As in, there was no thought WHATSOEVER put into them. *BEEP, TRY AGAIN*
    2) They are so stupid they are just an insult to the intellegence of the town as a whole.
    3) Stopping is like admitting you are one of the stupid people.
    4) They are dangerous. Beware speed racers trying to get into the roundabout first. Beware especially 4 trying to get in first.
    5) They are even stupider than the Marshes turnoff, the green, no wait, yield, yeah ok green lights outside Oscars or the Steal My Life Xerox lights. There has to be a line and this is it.
    6) The thing was perfect before, now it is just stupid. I protest.
    7) The road is crossed by 3 pedestrains a day. How stupid is that?
    8) What happened to our flyover? We want our flyover. This was the main Dublin to Belfast road until very recently.
    9) I'm praying that some day someone will actually stop and give out to me and maybe I can find out from them who was behind this since there's a fair chance they know the person to agree in the first place.
    10) I actuallly agree wit the constept, im just to stupid too see the lites.

My friend has a theory that it's conception was influenced heavily by the menstrual cycle. I think she might be onto something. Could also be small man syndrome. YOU WILL ALL STOP FOR ME! Or childhood bullying. In which case he did in fact get us all back.

Whatever way you look at it, if you know the road you also know that those lights are the most prominent display of pure stupidity in a mass of prime examples.

sorry to dispute you're obvious genius, clownman but no i am never a passenger and always a driver and although i absolutely agree that these are the most ridiculously un-needed lights ever, you can not possibly dismiss them just because you think so. They are lights and theyre there to be obeyed at 2 in the afternoon and 4 in the morning. So you are the one i see driving through them everytime i'm there. if you did that on a test , you'd fail. what if a guard stopped you, how do you think, 'it's al right guard, i'm a local, i know they're not real lights' !! you see the light is red......you must stop, the same way you stop at the square at 5 in the morning even if there isn't a car for miles. If we all just ignored things because they bother us where would we end up ! have you been on a roundabout in italy? chaos !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭TheBigFella

Like all lights they can be a pain when you have to sit and wait but they are there for a reason, so pedestrians can cross without the risk of being knocked down.

Although ,now that there is a 'clown' ignoring them, the risk is still there.

And his logic - "nobody died before the lights were there"

How can you argue with this ?????????????????????????

Advertisement