Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things that annoy me in Dundalk !

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 dwpg83

mm the fact that it's dundalk is enough of a reason for me

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

the thing was tiny. It was a black spot. After that they tore it up and made crossroads. But the lights were crazy. Queues forever. Then they tore that up and made another, bigger roundabout having bought and knocked the houses on the corners. And it worked perfectly. No one died. Traffic was bearable. Peachy.

Back in 1986 a friend's mother was tragically killed trying to cross the road on that roundabout. I've never forgotten it. If the lights are improving road safety that's the important thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Gee Clown Man but you're well named. I both drive this roudabout and walk in the area. Yes, it's not the best designed junction in the country but the lights have made it safer afetr years of messing about with options. Provided of course that idiots don't ignore them (no matter how many reasons they can come up with for doing so) the lights ensure pedestrians are no longer at risk. Lord help us if we can't wait at traffic lights for less than 2 minutes without complaining. The are "real" lights, like it or not.

How the incompetence of the planners (another debate!) can be described as "petulent" confuses me. Do you think they put the lights up out of temper?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

I despise the avenue rd r'about too, but purposely didn't include it in my rant about the town's traffic situation.
    I live in the area and use this junction a lot. The amount of time I see people breaking these lights, seemingly completely oblivious to thier presence annnoys me no end. Someone above said that it's the locals who are breaking the reds, but I think it's the opposite...locals would all know that this is a traffic controlled r'about, but through-traffic doesn't seem to notice...and they can't really be blamed sine there is never a green light showing on the signals; it's either amber/flashing amber or red and the frequency of change is so slow that many people who pass through them irregularly may never even notice that there is a set of lights on the damn r'about.
    My hatred for the junction went up a few notches after my mates 13 yr old son was struck by a car just before christmas (he was badly shaken, got a fair old bruise across his torso)...thing is he's adamant that the green man was lit....the car stopped briefly and then took off.
    As far as I'm aware there is no signage for the lights and they are not obvious due to the lack of a green light...but for people who say that it's unneccesary?? Bay estate school? Access in general for those who live in that estate or on the bottom of the av rd? Pedestrian access to the retail parks?
    What needs to happen at that junction is for lights to be placed in a more obvious position, more signage and better policing of the area (cameras). You're living in cloud cuckoo land if you think that any town outside of Dublin is ever going to have a pedestrian flyover built, particularly with how money is...

Which reminds me: what in the name of f*ck is the UDC's obsession in this town with erecting horticultural displays and Diarmuid Gavin installations on the r'abouts surrounding the town? What a supreme and ridiculous waste of money. Not only that but they also seem obsessed with building mounds in the middle of many of them, meaning that traffic entering them in many cases can't see the other side of the r'about or more importantly the traffic. I saw 4 council men spend about 2 days last week doing the one at JJB/Currys r'about...now I for one know of at least 5 large potholes in the general area that could have been filled, which would have been of so much more benefit to the Dundalk motorist, instead of the window dressing that Dundalk UDC seems to be so wrapped up with...

Clown man got one thing right; the sheer incompetence of the traffic planners in the town hall. These guys should have stuck with their fisher price garage playset, because as is evident by their many snafus around the place, they haven't got a feckin' clue about what to do with real cars and traffic...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Wertz wrote: »
    Which reminds me: what in the name of f*ck is the UDC's obsession in this town with erecting horticultural displays and Diarmuid Gavin installations on the r'abouts surrounding the town? What a supreme and ridiculous waste of money. Not only that but they also seem obsessed with building mounds in the middle of many of them, meaning that traffic entering them in many cases can't see the other side of the r'about or more importantly the traffic. I saw 4 council men spend about 2 days last week doing the one at JJB/Currys r'about...now I for one know of at least 5 large potholes in the general area that could have been filled, which would have been of so much more benefit to the Dundalk motorist, instead of the window dressing that Dundalk UDC seems to be so wrapped up with...

Beats filling in potholes. Like that one across from the Dunne's on Park Street everyone loves. Or the lovely ones along Bridge Street.

• Advertisement

Or the whole avenue road...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

amacachi wrote: »
    Beats filling in potholes. Like that one across from the Dunne's on Parl Street everyone loves. Or the lovely ones along Bridge Street.
    They will get filled eventually, a pothole/crater/hump the width of the road out my way was filled and fixed the other day, it only took the council 8 years to get there :rolleyes:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭bettedavis

I think the frustrating thing with lights is the timing. either too long or not long enough. the best ones are i think at the windsor, never too long either way. the worst ones are at the castle road /marist junction. Jesus give us a chance ! at some times it's 2 cars at most before it's red again. i don't know why they never employed the same system as the north/Uk............amber before green. I'm embarassed by my need to discuss traffic lights but it counts for 99 % of my road rage !

bettedavis wrote: »
    I think the frustrating thing with lights is the timing. either too long or not long enough. the best ones are i think at the windsor, never too long either way. the worst ones are at the castle road /marist junction. Jesus give us a chance ! at some times it's 2 cars at most before it's red again. i don't know why they never employed the same system as the north/Uk............amber before green. I'm embarassed by my need to discuss traffic lights but it counts for 99 % of my road rage !

The lights at the windsor are great...just such a shame that so many muppets feel it's their god-given right to break the amber-red when coming from the Vincent avenue. This kamikaze dive across a junction where lights have turned green, even when the junction is already half blocked by traffic backed up from hill st bridge is going to get someone killed someday...I've nearly had my front end clipped a few times.
    I agree fully about St Mary's rd lights though, especially the way they back traffic up entering from the bypass. I've never been through that junction at school run time, must be bedlam.
    I still maintain that the mullaharlin rd lights on the M1 approach rd are the most poorly timed and downright dangerous set in the town...

As for the amber-green UK system, I agree...always like the time it gives you to get in gear etc, but it would never work down here...far too many people would jump the anticipated green IMO, since Irish drivers seem so selfish and unaware of their fellow road users, and lead to minor collisions and a danger to pedestrians.

Oh another thing that annoys me about Dundalk (will it never end?): the UDC has spent a lot of money providing cycle lanes at various places round town...but yet the majority of cyclists choose to use the road. Good example is beside Aura/tax office...cycle lane the width of a lane of traffic, wide footpath, grass verge (and a traffic island), and then what is supposed to be a 2 lane approach to the junction with the bypass where for a lot of the time especially in heavy traffic, cars can't get in to distinct lanes...the cycle lane remains unused.
    Same is true on the road down from the college, where you have a narrow 2 way road with wide margins, footpath and cycle lane on both sides...yet you still get clowns cycling on the road. Don't even start me on the parking thing at the college itself...

Not an annoyance, just kind of fits with the theme this thread has taken.

By sheer cooincidence I was on Dublin st about half an hour ago, heading toward the DSC. I was first in line at the lights, noticed the green from Vincent Av turning amber, got in gear just ready to move off...at that very moment a 96 registered Opel people carrier comes barreling round the corner, just breaking the red...nothing unusual there.
    The next bit is why I'm posting this; as the car took the corner I noticed something bouncing along the ground....thought it was a sports bag or something...then I noticed that the rear offside door was open...then I looked at the road again....and there's this child (5-6?) getting up off the ground, and a booster seat sitting on the road beside him. Now it's immaterial but it was an African woman driving and obviously one of her kids that had been flung out the door...I put on my hazards and crawled around the car which was now stopped in the middle of the junction...someone from a car coming behind her had got out to help. The wee lad seemed fine...he was crying (but then who wouldn't be) and his mother was having a screaming fit in the middle of the roa. Another few seconds and there would have been a serious risk of that child being hit...
    I don't know...why do people insist on breaking this light?
    ...and how come people don't belt their children up in the back properly? What happened to child locks?
    I'm not trying to take a race element in here, but the amount of bangers being driven by the African community around town is frightening...these cars can't be roadworthy and I feel many of their drivers are not competent to use the roads.
    It's laughable. Anyway no-one was hurt this time, but it's only a matter of time at the windsor lights IMO...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I really hope you took the number and will report this to the Garda Wertz. That poor child is lucky to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭flag123

I agree with a lot of the things people are saying here about Dundalk. But there is one thing I hate is the price of things, people always say to me, "be patriotic", but it is very hard to do so if there is something half the price up north. Did anyone else read the Argos over christmas??..One if the local politician had an article in it talking about why people should shop down south and support local buissness.when I was reading it, I felt as if I was being given out to and forced to shop down south. I agree with supporting buissness but some things are un-realy over priced. I understand that the prices have to be slightly higher but this carry on about the price of runners or clothe is out the window!

I really hope you took the number and will report this to the Garda Wertz. That poor child is lucky to be alive.

All I got was the year and county (an inherent problem of Irish reg plates IMO) 96 D something something, plate was dirty too...not even sure what type of opel it was (it may well have been a toyota picnic either). Plenty of people there who may have. I was going to take the phone out and snap a pic but some eejit 2 cars back started beeping so I just moved off. I'd be very surprised if someone at the junction didn't though...the traffic coming from Hill st was completely blocked, and vincent av was on a red.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Unreal, but a very common occurance at them lights, well up until the child coming flying out, now that's a first :eek: :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Westwood

the accent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭annex

Most of all that has been mentioned bugs me but one thing that really bugs me and its nothing to do with Dundalk.
    Everytime I go to Lidl there are at least 4 foreign cars parked with no tax and no insurance :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭StiffLitlemicky

Wertz wrote: »
    All I got was the year and county (an inherent problem of Irish reg plates IMO) 96 D something something, plate was dirty too...not even sure what type of opel it was (it may well have been a toyota picnic either). Plenty of people there who may have. I was going to take the phone out and snap a pic but some eejit 2 cars back started beeping so I just moved off. I'd be very surprised if someone at the junction didn't though...the traffic coming from Hill st was completely blocked, and vincent av was on a red.

You were stoped in the middle of the road taking a picture and the guy that beeped you was an eejit!:rolleyes:

You were stoped in the middle of the road taking a picture and the guy that beeped you was an eejit!:rolleyes:

What? Where did I say I was taking a picture. Learn to read.
    ...and yes an eejit was beeping...usually when traffic doesn't move off from a light change, there's a fairly good reason...in this case the presence of a child and booster seat in one of the lanes. Obviously I should have put my boot down and to hell with any obstruction eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Bingles

I tell you what annoys me and its getting worse the sheer amount of people on clanbrassil street looking for money for various different charitys. Then you go into boyds and there is one on either end of the entrances looking for more money. Then to top it all of not all but some of the people arre so rude when you ignore them. It drives me mad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭TommyT

Joseph Ndo

• Advertisement

Bridge street???..
    full of pubs and possibilitys of getting robbed or attacked..
    For the amount of pubs there, it is no were near what you would call a place to "go out"..
    hhmmmm I just noticed a new pub has opened there, catering for the people who got bared from the others and to start a new leaf.
    Bad timing to open a PUB of all things...
    awh well, this probably won't make a difference, but goodluck to the owner..!:D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

TommyT wrote: »
    Joseph Ndo

ROFL. Our centre half nearly cost us a couple toward the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

Bingles wrote: »
    I tell you what annoys me and its getting worse the sheer amount of people on clanbrassil street looking for money for various different charitys. Then you go into boyds and there is one on either end of the entrances looking for more money. Then to top it all of not all but some of the people arre so rude when you ignore them. It drives me mad.

I don't mind the charities as such. If i give to one I tell the rest I've already given.I hate passing the old woman outside the post office, she stares at everyone coming out with her hand out. I do give her a few coins but sometimes I don't have spare change and I feel her eyes boring into me when I don't give her anything. I wonder if she's forced to beg? She's out there in all weathers! It doesn't bother me as much walking past the younger beggars up the street but it still feels uncomfortable.

Ann22 wrote: »
    This annoys me too:(. The woman outside the post office stares at everyone coming out with her hand out. I've given her a few coins on a few occasions but sometimes I don't have spare change and I feel her eyes boring into me when I don't give her anything. I wonder if she's forced to beg? She's out there in all weathers! It doesn't bother me as much walking past the younger beggars up the street but it still feels uncomfortable.

I once seen those beggers with a pair of top of the range runners on jumping into a Range Rover (probably a family member's or close friend's) after a "hard" days work.

I know how you feel, after seeing this I was sickend.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Matka

Hi there!

I agree with u....I am here 4 months:confused::confused: and I know what u talking about....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭indiewindy

TommyT wrote: »
    Joseph Ndo

At least hes gone now, so wont annoy you anymore!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Matka wrote: »
    Hi there!

I agree with u....I am here 4 months:confused::confused: and I know what u talking about....:D

:confused::confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 talisker

I imagine there's smoke billowing from that keyboard Wertz.

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:your a little inconsistent senor flower. happily obliging differences in terra - dundalk versus drogheda- but alas no lightning bolts with pejoratives about drogheda. skunk my monkey. but hey lets get back to beating the poor little town of dundalk. a town full and i mean full of great people who put up with the shenanigans of poor town planning swayed by little paper bags of dinero.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭soups05

my favorite junction to hate is at the rear of the long walk shopping centre. there is a barrier which allows a car to exit then a stop sign. thats fair enough but what i hate is when your on the main road, coming around from xtravision, and some idiot pulls out from the car park,through the barrier, and keeps going.
    I had a few near misses there, one guy blared his horn and swore at me...till i hopped out of my car at showed him the large red sign which said STOP. i let him know in rather colourfull terms that he needed to learn the rules of the road and pay more attention to the road signs.
    Everyone assumes that once the barrier goes up its a mad dash to the lights to wait for the red.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭bettedavis

soups05 wrote: »
    my favorite junction to hate is at the rear of the long walk shopping centre. there is a barrier which allows a car to exit then a stop sign. thats fair enough but what i hate is when your on the main road, coming around from xtravision, and some idiot pulls out from the car park,through the barrier, and keeps going.
    I had a few near misses there, one guy blared his horn and swore at me...till i hopped out of my car at showed him the large red sign which said STOP. i let him know in rather colourfull terms that he needed to learn the rules of the road and pay more attention to the road signs.
    Everyone assumes that once the barrier goes up its a mad dash to the lights to wait for the red.

i read this the other day and thought, that's never happened to me. about an hour ago i found myself coming round that way and recalled this post, and sure enough i had only got to the corner an whiz ! out comes this wan at high speed as the barrier was raised, with not even a glance to her left. Road Rage moment. Kismet though, as had i not read your post i prob wouldn;'t have been as aware and would have been right into her.

Advertisement