Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things that annoy me in Dundalk !

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 sex?

indiewindy wrote: »
    The disappearing atm machines of Dundalk bugs me as over the past few months more have gone
    Hill Street Bridge please knock it down
    well we wont have to worry about that bloody bridge for much longer. as soon as marshes phase two gets on the way (god help us all) there knocking it down and connecting it up to a roundabout or a junction down where the road at lidl just disapeers.
    speaking or the marshes part 2, it'll either make or break the town. that hellhole has sucked a lot out of the town. in case the letters of the place haven't noticed, dundalk isnt a very rich town. we dont need more ladies boutiques in the place we need a €2 shop or a fruit and veg shop in the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

sex? wrote: »
    in case the letters of the place haven't noticed, dundalk isnt a very rich town..

:confused: You lost me there mate! Letter??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭bettedavis

i'm on my pot hole rant again. Got the car serviced three days ago and last night coming down park street from dublin street , at the lights at duffys/oscars drove into a crater on the corner. i actually had to pull over cause my swearing was impeding my driving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

:confused: You lost me there mate! Letter??

I think they mean letting agent. Someone who lets.

Nothing really annoying me of late in the town...petrol prices being that few cent higher per litre than on down the road is pretty vexxing but there's nothing that can be done about that. I too have had a run in with that pothole at Oscars...can't see it being mended until there's a serious collision by someone trying to avoid it though...council are far too busy tending to gardening on roundabouts (two of which have had cars collide with them in the last fortnight).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

That work is contracted, I doubt it's the co.co.

AFAIK, there is a pothole repair truck that services several districts. It's in Dundalk 1 week out of every 4. It'll probably get attended to then.

I've been thinking about the dumb pedestrian lights on the Avenue road roudabout. The reason why they're being ignored so often is that they're simply not seen.

Driving around a roundabout people are watching to make sure that a car or person doesn't come into my path from the left. To see the lights you need to be looking to your right so they're simply unseen. On top of this when you are close to the roundabout exit the lights are up at a high level so unless you're looking at the clouds you simply won't see them.

So the council can do three things:
    1) Move the pedestrian crossing away from the roundabout
    2) Lower the lights and put up plenty of signage and maybe a ramp or 2 on the approach
    3) Leave it as it is and wait for someone to get knocked down

Now to email this off to the co.co.

• Advertisement

As I mentioned about those lights, the main problem is that there's never a green light showing....it's either amber (flashing or lit) or red. Given that every single street light is orange, it's very hard to see that there even are traffic lights at the junction. I went through a red at it the other night. It was only when I was through that I saw the red light in my wing mirror...that's coming from someoine who knows and uses it daily...what chance have non locals got?
    emails? lol they can't even answer a letter in that place...

I'll let you know if they get back to me.

Well I noticed that the traffic lights have been lowered. It was probably done before my email. At least it's something, I don't think it'll be the end of the problems though.

I received no reply to my mail btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Was in a county council meeting today. Hated the stairs back down :pac: lifts were in use

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭TommyT

Sadly another pothole rant. Just put new 20" BBS alloys on the womans car, they look great and set the car off well, but the amount of potholes that there are in and around town is unreal. There is one near the Windmill bar that would knock the fillings out of your teeth, there are quite a few on Hill St/Dublin Rd, in fact most roads in town are covered in them. Do the council not repair them?
    Another traffic related rant. Firstly the lights on the roundabout at the bottom of the Long Avenue. Do they all have to go red when someone uses the pedestrian crossing, surely only the crossing in question should turn red.
    Also the traffic lights on the inner relief road from Xerox down to the quay. None of them are in sync. You come through the lights at Xerox only to have to stop again 50 metres later at the new hotel. Why does a hotel entrance need a set of lights? Then you are guaranteed to have to stop at the lights at the council offices and then at the quay, surely someone could ensure that the lights are working to keep traffic flowing. The lights around town are as bad, there has been no thought given to their installation and timing. Do the local council have someone responsible for traffic management? And why do they have signs blocking yor view on the approach to every roundabout??? Dundalk people dont seem to be able to use roundabouts, the council are making it harder for them by making it impossible to see on the approach to the junction.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

TommyT wrote: »
    Why does a hotel entrance need a set of lights?

Aaaah! It's an entrance into the DKIT/Carrols building as well. It is not there just for the hotel!:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭TommyT

Aaaah! It's an entrance into the DKIT/Carrols building as well. It is not there just for the hotel!:cool:

Does that really justify a set of traffic lights less than 100 metres from one of the busiest junctions in town?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭bettedavis

its not like i go looking for them or anything but............i've found the mother of all pot holes ! There are quite a few on Mount avenue/back of the wall but jeeeeeesus there is one at the bottom of the hill on the really bad bend, which should actually be a tourist attraction its that big ! i don;t understand how it can be allowed get that big before anyone does anything about it. surely it doesn't take that much bureacracy and red tape to get through to get a few holes even temporary filled while waiting for it to be permanently done. .....
    i agree about the lack of need for the lights at the crowne plaza, i know they service the dkit as well but as a result it only gets busy at certain times of the day, surely it should be set to accomodate this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭miceal

bettedavis wrote: »
    its not like i go looking for them or anything but............i've found the mother of all pot holes ! There are quite a few on Mount avenue/back of the wall but jeeeeeesus there is one at the bottom of the hill on the really bad bend, which should actually be a tourist attraction its that big !

I know that pot hole well i drove into it in the rain and thought my car was going to be swallowed!

The back of the wall is a joke the amount of potholes and trying to avoid them in some parts of the road is pointless as someone will report you thinking you are drunk!

Council should be ashamed of themselves!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

Originally posted by Mr magnolia: I've been thinking about the dumb pedestrian lights on the Avenue road roudabout. The reason why they're being ignored so often is that they're simply not seen.

Are these lights to be removed? I think there was a piece in the Argus last year about it.

Well I noticed that the traffic lights have been lowered. It was probably done before my email. At least it's something, I don't think it'll be the end of the problems though.

I received no reply to my mail btw.

Was that your letter I saw in the Leader? If not you then some other mod...the Leader would have done well to run with a news item/opinion piece on the issue rather than a few column inches that, to be realistic, most people don't even read.
    None of them are in sync. You come through the lights at Xerox only to have to stop again 50 metres later at the new hotel. Why does a hotel entrance need a set of lights?

Nothing annoys me more than being caught here, especially after a long wait at the crossroads. I've taken recently (when approaching from xerox) to making the left when I see an amber coming, doing a U-turn and using the green to continue left and onwards.
    What moron thouught these lights were a good idea? A roundabout was the obvious and cheaper option, would have freed up traffic flow for both lanes and put a stop to this jack rabbit crap.

And why do they have signs blocking yor view on the approach to every roundabout??? Dundalk people dont seem to be able to use roundabouts, the council are making it harder for them by making it impossible to see on the approach to the junction.

Seriously. They do it all over the town, sticking street signs right at driver's eye level at busy junctions...the merging point at St Patrick's/Frances St, the merge at Oscars Park St. along with nearly all the roundabouts on the inner relief spring to mind. Don't even start me on the installations and centre pieces adorning those same roundabouts. Whilst on the subject of r'abouts, the new one at Aldi/Marshes is a very awkward to get around....too small and a very tight trun. People don't even seem to slow down for it, never mind indicate...
    miceal wrote: »
    ...and trying to avoid them in some parts of the road is pointless as someone will report you thinking you are drunk!

Council should be ashamed of themselves!

Guy I know got pulled on the av rd one night by the cops and bagged. The guard said he stopped him because he appeared to be driving erratically! The guy asked the guard did he expect him to just drive through the holes and crack his alloys. This was just past Sloanes where the dip in the road surrounded by potholes is...the other section back up outside the ESB is equally bad.

Potholes should be a priority for the UDC to get repaired...wasting money on contracting out r'about design and gardening/maintenance whilst car damaging craters remain to grow in size and depth is downright criminal. No-one's asking for whole roads to be re-surfaced (like in Blackrock :rolleyes: ), all we want is a semi decent repair/fill-in. You get all this motor tax, parking fees and who knows what else from the louth motorist and all we get in return is yet more traffic lights (that are never sequenced correctly) and roadside horticulture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 new to the town

well all, councillors are doing their rounds with the elections coming up so now is the time to speak up.

Wertz wrote: »
    Was that your letter I saw in the Leader?

T'was alright. I cc'd a few locals on the mail .

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭DundalkDuffman

well all, councillors are doing their rounds with the elections coming up so now is the time to speak up.

I mentioned it only last night on my doorstep! I think it was Ann in another thread about the pothole at Oscars.
    Only one of about a hundred issues about town though.

Advertisement