Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HSPA Evolution...

Options
  • 05-12-2008 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭

Ericsson and Telstra reach 21Mb/s in Australia.
    ERICSSON AND TELSTRA WORLD'S FIRST TO DELIVER MOBILE BROADBAND AT 21MBPS IN COMMERCIAL NETWORK

December 5, 2008, 09:46 (CET)

Ericsson (NASDAQ: ERIC) and Telstra have achieved an industry first: the successful activation of HSPA Evolution functionality capable of peak network speeds up to 21 Mbps into the Telstra Next G(TM) commercial network and the world's first data call on the newly-enabled network. For the first time, a commercial network makes use of the enhanced, standardized improvements called HSPA Evolution.

http://www.ericsson.com/ericsson/press/releases/20081205-1275382.shtml

Will Vodafone, O2 or Meteor follow on when this goes up for sale to different networks, Do you think there would be any use in doing it here in Ireland????

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

I'd say it's likely here. Mobile internet has become very popular here, operators want to market it as much as possible and higher speeds is good marketing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

Meteor are using HSPA evolution

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭maceocc2

crawler wrote: »
    Meteor are using HSPA evolution

Not the latest package there not, the one that telstra have is the 21Mb/s DL speed, meteor I think have the version from about 2 years ago. Same as vodafone and O2.

Maybe during initial trials but there are going with HSPA+ alright...it's even the same kit the Aussies are using - Mind you Peter O'C is an Aussie (and a genuinely nice guy) and the CTO (another sound guy) is ex Ericsson so I guess it was written in stone :)

“We’re putting in Ericsson equipment with dual nodes, which will give us the highest speeds and move from HSDPA to a technology called HSDPA Evolved, which gets you 20Mbps countrywide. The Meteor network will be the most advanced in Ireland when it launches."

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/news/article/11521/comms/eircom-broadband-enables-24-local-exchanges/

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭maceocc2

That would be great when meteor get it alright.

Although I'm not sure when they'll get the latest stuff, as Telstra have to be the first to role it out fully and if that goes well then it gets the approved stamp which means its available to any network.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

paulm17781 wrote: »
    I'd say it's likely here. Mobile internet has become very popular here, operators want to market it as much as possible and higher speeds is good marketing.

Its not a matter of "likely" its completely "when". This is going to be the industry standard in just the same way as HSPDA is now, companies will have to keep up or fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

It's fantasy. Only about 10% of users by geography in a cell would get that speed. With ten such optimally placed (very close to mast) continuous users speed would likely be under 500kbps on average, certainly under 1Mbps.

It's more about adding a few more % capacity than speed as HSDPA has very poor capacity for the spectrum. Speed can degrade by 1/3rd even at 7.2Mbps for a fully loaded sector, giving thus 7.2Mbps / (3 x 48). = 50kbps.

EVEN if 21Mbps applied to whole sector and degradation of capacity was the same (neither is true) then fully loaded 21Mbps sector would be 150kbps per user.

It doesn't fix latency (110ms to 2000ms). It doesn't make HSDPA /HSUPA/HSPA be Broadband.

As mentioned on another thread this annoucement is erricsson Hype to sell their gear to operators. It will make little difference to economically populated cells. Cells with 30 users (10 users per sector) are not economic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Once again watty comes in and cuts the legs off the hype with logic and sound reasoning not to mention the tech know how.

Cheers watty,

MC

I 100% agree with Watty - Watty is well aware of my view on mobile stuff and the game of taking poetic licences with the unbending laws of physics :)

The question was - will they roll out HSPA+ : the answer is yes.

Will it make any difference? the answer is - not really unless you have a node wedged up your rear end and your hands are the CPE :D

Even LTE has to trade off lots to get performance such as a single IP address etc...

Why cant the fixed and mobile industry stop the silly games and work together - technologies are complimentary and no one size fits all.

By the way - this is quite good for a good comparison of 4G ( ahem) and 3.5G (bigger ahem) type technologies - Compares Xohm and Verizons EV-DO

http://blog.laptopmag.com/xohm-wimax-in-baltimore-speed-tests-with-xohm-expresscard

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

Meteor = Eircom = the Company the screwed us all on Broadband.

I just cannot understand why anybody would give then a cent. But this is Ireland I guess, we seem to enjoy being f@*ked over no matter what the we are buying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Xohm now called "Clear" A little bit faster and lower latency than HSDPA. Only really 4G in sense of being an IP only network, but EDGE 2 can do that and so can W-CDMA if you don't want non-VOIP voice handsets (phones).
    EVDO rev A, about half the max speed or less (1.25Mhz channels rather than 5MHz), but per bandwidth sector capacity almost identical.

EVDO Rev B looks dead as LTE is simlar time scale. EVDO is data only and CDMA used for Phones. Not an integrated solution like 3G/HSDPA, each 1.25Mhz carrier has to be phone or data.

LTE achieves x5 speed by having x4 bandwidth and ditching W-CDMA for OFDM. That's why you won't see LTE as an upgrade to 3G/HSDPA. It's not compatible backwardly with the handsets (like HSDPA and EDGE are on 3G and GSM) and needs spectrum not allocated in Ireland.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

watty wrote: »
    LTE .... needs spectrum not allocated in Ireland.

Which would neatly explain a recent story I heard that Telefonica and UPC had a chat about 'things' in Amsterdam in the past month or two :cool:

Telefonica is called O2 hereabouts , more than likely nothing will come of it though.

Advertisement