Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Credit Crunch :Bite Back

Options
  • 05-12-2008 4:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭

Interested to know the answer to this.........

A friend of mine is currently working here on a work permit (He/She is from a non EU country)

He/She has been saving money here with various institutions (Credit Unions,Banks) and was also offered a credit card by a company that i shall not name.

His/Her question to me was : If he/she avails of the credit or loans offered here and returns home without paying them can the provider legally have the money paid back ?

I said if it was a bank with a world wide network then yes they could probably chase you for the money when you return home but with Irish only institutions
    such as Credit Unions im not so sure ?

Just wondering if anyone knows the answer ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

How many Irish have debts here and went to the UK and vice versa and never got caught?! ;) I'd say the chances are good for her/him not to get caught especially if he/she returns to a non-EU country.

Nonetheless this is condemnable...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 988 ✭✭✭IsThatSo?

Nonetheless this is condemnable...

Agreed.

OP, so basically you are asking advice on whether is possible to steal?? and get away with it??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭hoppo254

No. Never in the post did i say i recommended taking the credit and leaving the country.

My question was what is the law relating to this and not "how would i get away with this sort of thing"

I am in total agreement that availing of credit and not repaying it is stealing

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

It's still not a suitable discussion topic.

Closed. OP you should know better.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

this isn't bit back , it's the cause of the credit crunch in the frist place (people not paying back loans)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement