Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Signal Booster for Wireless Router?

Options
  • 05-12-2008 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭

I'm having signal strength issues with my wireless broadband due to the distance to the PC - It works fine when I bring the two closer together, but I have to trail cables around the place and cant leave it like that.

I have both a Voyager router from BT and a Netopia router from Eircom. I'm currently with BT but both routers will work, the Netopia giving slightly better performance (less signal drops). The aerials can be unscrewed from the Netopia but not from the Voyager.

Can anyone recommend a signal booster for the router for use with either of these? Preferably where they have had a similar problem and resolved it

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

homer911 wrote: »
    I'm having signal strength issues with my wireless broadband due to the distance to the PC - It works fine when I bring the two closer together, but I have to trail cables around the place and cant leave it like that.

I have both a Voyager router from BT and a Netopia router from Eircom. I'm currently with BT but both routers will work, the Netopia giving slightly better performance (less signal drops). The aerials can be unscrewed from the Netopia but not from the Voyager.

Can anyone recommend a signal booster for the router for use with either of these? Preferably where they have had a similar problem and resolved it

Thanks
    A replacement antenna like this one
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=38211
    will connect to the netopia router and provide a better signal gain than the ones that came with it.

another possibility might be to set up the voyager router between the netopia and the pc as a 'repeater', but we'd need the model number to figure out if that router supports it (I'm pretty sure that the eircom ones don't).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Search for a "wireless repeater", and you should find something that will work.

An alternative would be to use Ethernet wall plugs, which will use the house's electrical wiring to route from the modem to your computer. I find that far better than wireless.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

Thanks Guys - you have given me a number of options and I'll look into each of them

Advertisement