Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man Utd V Sunderland (5.30)

• 05-12-2008 4:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭

b_12.png V b_39.png

Live on Setanta

Man Utd (from): Van der Sar, Foster, Kuszczak, Neville, Rafael, Ferdinand, Evans, Vidic, Evra, O'Shea, Ronaldo, Nani, Fletcher, Carrick, Anderson, Giggs, Park, Tevez, Rooney, Berbatov.

Sunderland (from): Fulop, Colgan, Bardsley, Chimbonda, Ferdinand, Nosworthy, Collins, Tainio, Whitehead, Edwards, Malbranque, Diouf, Miller, Leadbitter, Reid, Yorke, Cisse, Jones, Murphy, Healy.

Lets try keep as much Keane discussion out of here as possible. Though it obviously has some relevance to the match.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I can see a ten nil here, seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Des wrote: »

I'll take that bet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

4-0 to united

could see a few fringe players getting a start

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I think Berbatov should be dropped for this match in favour of Tevez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭quad_red

keane2097 wrote: »
    I think Berbatov should be dropped for this match in favour of Tevez.

I find myself willing Tevez to score these days, so sick am I of watching Berbatov crawl around the pitch, clearly not giving two s**ts.

After scoring the last night, surely Fergie will play Tevez?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

6-0 to united.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

quad_red wrote: »
    clearly not giving two s**ts.

This isn't true

Man Utd (from): Van der Sar, Foster, Kuszczak, Neville, Rafael, Ferdinand, Evans, Vidic, Evra, O'Shea, Ronaldo, Nani, Fletcher, Carrick, Anderson, Giggs, Park, Tevez, Rooney, Berbatov.

VDS
    Rafael-Rio--Vidic-Evra
    --Carrick--Anderson-
    -Ronaldo
    ????
    Rooney

Bebratov---

I still cant pick a left winger out of Park or Nani. Probably Park for this game, as Nani played mid week.

Rafeal gets the nod over Neville as I am hoping/thinking we won't have much defending to do.

Tevez is benched for me, give him the game against Alborg.

Anderson gets the nod over Fletcher as he looked good on Wednesday and Fletcher is over coming a slight injury.

very good game for scholes to start in

foster
    Rafael-Rio--Vidic-Evra
    --Carrick--scholes-
    -Ronaldo
    park
    Rooney

tevez---

you have to start tevez after the performance against blackburn

also picked foster ahead of vds

bother extremely dodgy keepers but i think foster just needs more games

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

quad_red wrote: »
    I find myself willing Tevez to score these days, so sick am I of watching Berbatov crawl around the pitch, clearly not giving two s**ts.

After scoring the last night, surely Fergie will play Tevez?

your not allowed comment/discuss the berbatov-tevez situation.... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

They'll probably put up an almighty effort now with Keane gone.

So I'm saying 3-0 United.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Moon

I don't think the scores are going to be massive, I'm going for a 2-0 Utd win.

Most teams who loose a manager feel they something to prove in their next match, Sunderland have some very handy players and lost a lot of games they should've won recently!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I'd go with.........

Foster
    Rafa
    Rio
    Vidic
    Evra

Carrick
    Anderson
    Ronaldo
    Park

Rooney

Tevez

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

---kuszczak---
    rafael-rio-vidic-evra
    --carrick-fletcher--
    CR---Tevez--Nani
    ---Rooney---

Dave! wrote: »
    I'd go with.........

Foster
    Rafa
    Rio
    Vidic
    Evra

Carrick
    Anderson
    Ronaldo
    Park

Rooney

Tevez

I'd go with the same. Maybe introduce Possebon, Scholes and Berbatov/Wellbeck at some stage too if things are going right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Des wrote: »
    :eek: Bad news for Utd fans. Here is what Des wrote before the Arsenal V Man Utd game last month. It was the first reply to the thread that time as well! :eek:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=57818044&postcount=2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Pighead either you have a really good memory or you have a folder in your bookmarks for predictions and prophesies...

I'd go with the same. Maybe introduce Possebon, Scholes and Berbatov/Wellbeck at some stage too if things are going right.

Even though Scholes, Wellbeck, and Possebon aren't in the match day squad?

Fergie also said Scholes is not in the squad for this game in his press conference and probably won't be involved again until Japan. Although Alborg might give him a chance for a small run out.

Whats with everyone dropping VDS. I know he has been dodgy but do people have that much faith in PIG and Foster at this time.

Even though Scholes, Wellbeck, and Possebon aren't in the match day squad?

Fergie also said Scholes is not in the squad for this game in his press conference and probably won't be involved again until Japan. Although Alborg might give him a chance for a small run out.

Whats with everyone dropping VDS. I know he has been dodgy but do people have that much faith in PIG and Foster at this time.

Ok, I overlooked the match squad. Surprised Possebon wasn't included, he was fairly comfortable in midfield midweek - almost more than Anderson.

Pighead wrote: »
    :eek: Bad news for Utd fans. Here is what Des wrote before the Arsenal V Man Utd game last month. It was the first reply to the thread that time as well! :eek:

utd should be worried

• Advertisement

Striker's four-goal haul gives boss huge selection problem

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11667_4592431,00.html
    Tevez was credited with four goals in United's 5-3 win over Rovers in the Carling Cup quarter-final at Old Trafford on Wednesday and Ferguson now has to decide who he starts with for the visit of Sunderland on Saturday.

The Argentine's haul has taken his tally this season to six, bringing him level with fellow strikers Dimitar Berbatov and Wayne Rooney.

Ferguson has even toyed with the idea of playing all three of them in the same side against Sunderland but with the attacking nature of Cristiano Ronaldo the Scot is conscious of upsetting the balance of his team.

It ultimately means that one of the trio is set to miss out, causing more disappointment.

After a promising start to the campaign the 24-year-old Tevez has found himself on the bench with Ferguson opting to pair Rooney and Berbatov together.

With just six starts in the league all season, speculation has grown as to whether Tevez will stay at United when his loan deal runs out at the end of the season.

Ferguson knows that Tevez has been left frustrated this campaign but insisted he would not have it any other way.
    Frustration

He said: "It is obvious Carlos doesn't enjoy it. He wants to play. But do I want players who are quite happy to sit in the stand?

"I have to manage that situation the best I can. I understand he wants to play. I want to pick a team that wins.

"I have to be as fair as I possibly can. Performances do matter and his performance on Wednesday gives me a big problem.

"Carlos has given me a big selection problem. I have been doodling on my pad trying to see how I could fit all these players in.

"But one of the important parts of your team is a proper balance. I am working on that.

"It was a fantastic performance from the lad on Wednesday, full of energy and aggressive running. "The lad always tries and I admire him for that, even if it does not make my job any easier."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

It could be an interesting match now with No manager on the touchlines :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Dun laoire

Just goes to show how little i know about football. Why is Ronaldo is playing tomorrow after being sent off last week? I taught they got suspended for the following league game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Following competetive 1st team game, Carling cup in this case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Carturo

Gone for a 5-0 win for Utd...Newcastle is still in my mind from last year just after Fat Sam left! (I know that game was 6-0).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Wouldn't rule out a 0-0. Fingers crossed for Sunderland anyway.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

would love to see this team

................Foster

Rafa.....Vidic......Rio.....Evra

........Carrick...Anderson

Ronaldo....Rooney....Tevez
    .............Berbatov

but wont

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

1-1 (heart over head). Cisse to bag his 7th league goal of the season for us in the last minute. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Gordon
    Chimbonda --- Nosworthy --- Ferdinand --- Collins
    Tainio ---- Whitehead ---- Reid
    Malbranque
    Richardson
    Cisse

No more of that Richardson in the centre of a 4-4-2 rubbish. Jones has been very poor the last couple of games.

• Advertisement

eirebhoy wrote: »

Gordon
    Chimbonda --- Nosworthy --- Ferdinand --- Collins
    Tainio ---- Whitehead ---- Reid
    Malbranque
    Richardson
    Cisse

No more of that Richardson in the centre of a 4-4-2 rubbish. Jones has been very poor the last couple of games.

Wouldn't worry about that, the only thing Richardson will be in the center of is the stands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

VDS
    -Raf----Vida----Rio----JO'S
    -Carrick--Anderson---Park--
    Tevez
    Rooney
    Berbs

:D controversial! Don't think this is a very likely line-up though unforunately

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Pighead wrote: »

I don't think that kid has ever been right in his life

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Dun laoire

bohsman wrote: »
    Following competetive 1st team game, Carling cup in this case.

Thanks fella. I taught it had to be in the same competition. Ronaldo gets the armband in the Fantasy league :)

VDS
    -Raf----Vida----Rio----JO'S
    -Carrick--Anderson---Park--
    Tevez
    Rooney
    Berbs

:D controversial! Don't think this is a very likely line-up though unforunately

I know things have gone insane when people start suggesting we drop our top goal scorer and our only proper left back.

I know things have gone insane when people start suggesting we drop our top goal scorer and our only proper left back.

is evra not banned?

• Advertisement

ntlbell wrote: »
    is evra not banned?

Doesn't start until the 22nd I believe.

think it's safe to say there'll be no jos so :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,102 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

doesn't he have another seperate banning for 5 yellows or something too though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

I have Sunderland at 27/1 to win this. Historically, when a team loses a manager, they tend to overperform. I would expect Sunderland to put up a huge fight today, especially as it was reported that many players were delighted that Keane had left.

I have Sunderland at 27/1 to win this. Historically, when a team loses a manager, they tend to overperform. I would expect Sunderland to put up a huge fight today, especially as it was reported that many players were delighted that Keane had left.

it was also reported that many players had complete faith in him and were very disapointed

papers in talking bollox shock horror

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I have Sunderland at 27/1 to win this. Historically, when a team loses a manager, they tend to overperform.
    Don't think so. Wins are probably exaggerated when the manager leaves though.

The new manager should put Andy Reid back in the centre. The player who was absolutely, without doubt, their most influential player in the 2nd half of last season. He was actually up there with the best midfielders in the premiership in that period. Why Keane decided to start playing him on the left bewilders me when you look at the midfield he was playing.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    doesn't he have another seperate banning for 5 yellows or something too though?

He could do. Bit he is included in the match day squad so if he does it ain't for this game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,102 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

He could do. Bit he is included in the match day squad so if he does it ain't for this game.

in hindsight it was probably taken care of with the CC tie as well.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    in hindsight it was probably taken care of with the CC tie as well.

Did he not come off the bench on Wednesday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

I can't help but remember the United-Derby match last season when everyone was predicting a record scorelines and it ended with us scraping in 1-0.

eirebhoy wrote: »
    Don't think so. Wins are probably exaggerated when the manager leaves though.

Yeah, there's a professor that has a book out he did stats on various things that happen in football like is a team most exposed after scoring

his stats showed the 5-10 minutes after scoring teams let in the least amount of goals

the whole manager change was another myth blown out of the water.

must try and find the name of it.

ntlbell wrote: »

the whole manager change was another myth blown out of the water.

not too sure about that

harry Redknapp prime example

but suppose it depends on the club

if all the sunderland players were unhappy with keane as manager

they'll come out give a good performance today

not too sure about that

harry Redknapp prime example

but suppose it depends on the club

well the university professor's did the stats on something like 30 years of football..

i dunno about you but i tend to think they no more than you or i.

if they had of based the study on harry redknap you might have a point

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Newcastle sacked Big Sam last season, they then played man utd at Old Trafford a few days and got humped 6-0

works both ways

they might but united would have to put a fairly below average one.

there's no point in all the sunderland players been up for the game and wanting to play if they can't get the ball

• Advertisement
Advertisement