Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Joe Satriani takes on Coldplay

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I just listened to the main melody of the tracks overlaid, its a total ripoff!

Note for note, its a perfect match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Chris Martin and Co don't have a leg to stand on! It'll get settled out of court though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

They are similar but not similar enough for Satch to have a case. Like ShawnRave said it'll get settled out of court.
    mike65 wrote: »
    Note for note, its a perfect match.

No it's not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

OctavarIan wrote: »
    They are similar but not similar enough for Satch to have a case. Like ShawnRave said it'll get settled out of court..

what do you mean not enough for him to have a case? i think he has a perfect case:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

So was it that these guys and Coldplay ripped off Satriani, or did Satriani and Coldplay rip off The Creaky Boards, or did Coldplay rip off both of them at the same time? I'm confused.

I'm willing to believe this melody is such a simple one it's been used a hundred times before. It may not even be a matter of anyone ripping someone else off - it's so basic they could all have come to it naturally.

I remember seeing Billy Joel talk about hearing a piece of Beethoven that sounded like 'Uptown Girl' (which he heard long after writing the song), and he made the point that there is a limited number of melodies in the world that people will find listenable, so at this stage we're largely just repeating and adapting what has already been and gone.

Although I'm willing to believe that Coldplay are talentless mimics, too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

flogen wrote: »
    So was it that these guys and Coldplay ripped off Satriani, or did Satriani and Coldplay rip off The Creaky Boards, or did Coldplay rip off both of them at the same time? I'm confused.

I'm willing to believe this melody is such a simple one it's been used a hundred times before. It may not even be a matter of anyone ripping someone else off - it's so basic they could all have come to it naturally.

I remember seeing Billy Joel talk about hearing a piece of Beethoven that sounded like 'Uptown Girl' (which he heard long after writing the song), and he made the point that there is a limited number of melodies in the world that people will find listenable, so at this stage we're largely just repeating and adapting what has already been and gone.

Although I'm willing to believe that Coldplay are talentless mimics, too.

Totally agree. It's a simple melody and both parties could just have naturally arrived at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Aligator Farmer

Satriani Rocks.
    Coldplay are about as interesting as Dido.
    But I don't see why Satriani would even bother with this, I mean Chris Martin listening to Satriani CD's for inspiration, it doesn't make sense.
    Still, its good publicity for Satch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

Anything that makes Coldplay go away is a WIN!! \o/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

MizzLolly wrote: »

This recession will kill Coldplay off.
    People will start buying music like this again:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEvh3BRvSRU

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

MizzLolly wrote: »

the lady speaks the truth! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Coldplay were accused of mimicking a song by an american band last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

what do you mean not enough for him to have a case?

Apart from a few notes the melodies are completely different.
    Coldplay were accused of mimicking a song by an american band last year.

Accusations that were proved false and were retracted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,950 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Hmmm I dont think this is the first time...take a listen to these two beside each other;

(cant embed while also doing the thing bringing them to the right time.)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDFmuOtKrBc#t=0m37s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkW5da-AFGo#t=2m18s

Coincidence? I think not!...even the lyrics borrow from it a little...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Good spot! Thats two cases or possibly three cases to be settled out of court then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BarryCreed

Satch should be sued for wearing shades indoors on stage at night:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

BarryCreed wrote: »
    Satch should be sued for wearing shades indoors on stage at night:cool:

You could sue half the frontmen of most rock acts then! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭damonjewel

There was also the case of the rip off of the central riff to Kraftwerks Computer Love for Coldplay's Talk. Kraftwerk are appaently credited in the sleeve notes, but it annoys me when a band knowingly take something and dress it up as their own.

here's computer liebe

The bedazzled dolphin song rip off is without doubt the greatest rip off since My sweet lord

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,461 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Similar without a doubt, but sure happens so much.

In Endless Sacrifice by Dream Theater, there's a bit that is the exact same as Scream, Aim, Fire by Bullet for my Valentine.

In 'This Dying Soul', the previous song on same album by DT, they have a bit that is the exact same as 'Blackened'.

So as much as I despise Coldplay, I think it may have been coincidental. Come on, feel sorry laugh at them, they have Girls Aloud supporting them...they can't be that good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Coinidence imo

oh and Satch and Coldplay are very boring and bland. /hides

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭mental07

what do you mean not enough for him to have a case? i think he has a perfect case:

Meh, they're not that similar, imho. Bit of a coincidence I would say. That mash-up is great though! :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

That youtube video has made a small section of a Coldplay song listenable. I am aghast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

It gets weirder and weirder....
    A German court has ordered former Thin Lizzy guitarist Gary Moore to pay damages after ruling the guitar solo in his 1990 hit "Still Got the Blues" had been plagiarized from a German song written in 1974.

A court in the southern city of Munich said on Wednesday the solo in Moore's song was too similar to the one in "Nordrach" by the band Jud's Gallery not to have been copied -- even though the German song was not available on record at the time.

In a statement, the court ordered Moore, 56, from Northern Ireland, and his record label to pay damages to band leader Juergen Winter who brought the case. The amount has yet to be fixed.

Moore had denied knowing the song, which the court said could only have been heard live or on radio at the time.

The court said it had no evidence the solo had been lifted deliberately, but that this was immaterial in copyright infringement.

Moore can appeal against the decision.

"Still Got the Blues" was the title track on Moore's album of the same name, one of the guitarist's most successful records. According to online chart database everyhit.com the single reached 31 in the British singles charts in May 1990.

Moore played with Thin Lizzy for a few months in 1974 and again in 1978-79 before leaving the Irish band to start a solo career.

So let me get this straight. Gary took the solo from some unrecorded song from 1974 I can't even pronounce? Then he waited 16 years for the right opportunity to use the solo, as he couldn't come up with one on his own? Please....

I bet hes fairly p1ssed now..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭yevveh

Some guy posted elsewhere this Cat Stevens video when the topic of Coldplay being ripoffs cropped up, and true to his word from 3:32 you might hear something familiar...

Plus, Win Butler from Arcade Fire also accused Coldplay of stealing their look. Is there anything they haven't been accused of plagiarising already? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 JConstantine

Lets Just face it , Coldplay are spa's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Lets Just face it , Coldplay are spa's
    Haha,thats a bit extreme,but they do get a bit wearing at times...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 613 ✭✭✭rgjmce

it's an exact copy except joe plays it on guitar and clearly chris sings it. I personally think it is very easily done and plus in the joe satriani song it is like a few seconds of the song, joe leave coldplay alone i think this is total ball ox. So what if you wrote a little melody that ended being on coldplays new hit song, if you were smart you would have made that the main melody in your song.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

damonjewel wrote: »
    There was also the case of the rip off of the central riff to Kraftwerks Computer Love for Coldplay's Talk. Kraftwerk are appaently credited in the sleeve notes, but it annoys me when a band knowingly take something and dress it up as their own.

here's computer liebe

The bedazzled dolphin song rip off is without doubt the greatest rip off since My sweet lord

Actually, they went to extraordinary efforts to get Kraftwerk's permission to use it, but it took something like a year through lawyers to get it. Kraftwerk reportedly sent back a blank piece of paper with the word yes typed on to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

yevveh wrote: »

Plus, Win Butler from Arcade Fire also accused Coldplay of stealing their look. Is there anything they haven't been accused of plagiarising already? :rolleyes:

Uh... if your source for this is the blog in my sig, it's possibly worth pointing out that the blog in question is a gag by an Arcade Fire fan. Win Butler's too nice a dude to ever do/ say anything like that in a million years.

That said:
    swfcoldplayheart.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Arcade Fire have a look now? ^^

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

You didn't think they always dressed like 19th century X Men, did you?

Advertisement