Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zalman 9700 install info?

Options
  • 05-12-2008 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭

Has anyone here ever installed a Zalman 9700 CPU cooler?

If so is it true that you have to take out the mobo to secure it?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Hogzy wrote: »
    Has anyone here ever installed a Zalman 9700 CPU cooler?

If so is it true that you have to take out the mobo to secure it?

I've installed some of them, and I didn't have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭alansweeney100

This guy did, I imagine it would be pretty tricky to install otherwise

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

This guy did, I imagine it would be pretty tricky to install otherwise

I see where the difference is coming from, I was using the AMD versions, so there was a preexisting collar/bracket to attach to.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Just read that installing this cooler to a gigabyte DQ6 is a problem due to the copper heatsink on the rear of the mobo. Apparently you have to cut the X shaped rear bracket! Anyone have any experience with installing a Zalman 9 series cooler to a DQ6 mobo?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Intel never bothered with a retension bracket much less a rear reinforcement plate. Due to the increased weight of high performance coolers you need the brackets to fasten the cooler on securely to help take the weight, and you always have to take out the mobo to get the brackets on in the first place. Normal for s775 I'm afraid.

And that dopey s775 bracket Zalman always uses is a pain to install on most mobos as it always inteferes with high-rise heatsinks on the regulators. If it were a flower cooler you could have spun it 90 degrees... but I doubt there's any way to mount a tunnel cooler other than in the direction of the bracket :( Your best bet is to take out the mobo, place the bracket as close as possible to the mounting holes and see how bad the interference with the heatsink actually is before breaking out a hacksaw and going McGyver on us :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Just spent the last 4 hours installing the thing and all is well and good...THANK GOD:p

Ended up cutting the bolts off the X shaped bottom bracket (cos of the heatsink underneath) i was told that the heat sink would provide plenty of rigidity as it covers nearly all the 4 holes! Anywho had some trouble with the power connectors for the power and switches etc as they are tiny little connectors!iv big hands:D

All up and running now and i shaved 20 degrees off my temps...

THANK YOU ZALMAN!!!!

Advertisement