Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Expect Toyota Aurises to get cheaper soon.....

Options
  • 05-12-2008 5:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭

.... as there is a new 1.33 petrol on the way with more power, and more importantly superior economy to the 1.4 it will be replacing. It has 101 bhp(very impressive when you consider that the standard 1.6 Ford Focus actually has 99 bhp).

As it only costs £200 more than the 1.4 it replaces in the UK, and it will be in the exact same VRT band as the 1.4 D-4D, it will be the cleanest petrol car in the class and will be one of only 3 petrols (the 1.4 Golf TSI DSG(which costs a LOT more) and the 1.4 Honda Civic are the other 2) to be in VRT band B. The existing 1.4 is in band D FWIW, so clearly *plenty* of scope for a decent price cut.

So, the next thing I want to know is a) when are we going to get it and more importantly b) why would *anyone* consider a 1.4 Auris now and c) why would anyone go for the diesel model when this comes out, when the petrol is only 7.8 mpg less frugal, has almost identical CO2 emissions, has a 6 speed box, stop start technology and since this is a motors forum, has 11 bhp more?

Link here

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

E92 wrote: »
    .... as there is a new 1.33 petrol on the way with more power, and more importantly superior economy to the 1.4 it will be replacing. It has 101 bhp(very impressive when you consider that the standard 1.6 Ford Focus actually has 99 bhp).

As it only costs £200 more than the 1.4 it replaces in the UK, and it will be in the exact same VRT band as the 1.4 D-4D, it will be the cleanest petrol car in the class and will be one of only 3 petrols (the 1.4 Golf TSI DSG(which costs a LOT more) and the 1.4 Honda Civic are the other 2) to be in VRT band B. The existing 1.4 is in band D FWIW, so clearly *plenty* of scope for a decent price cut.

So, the next thing I want to know is a) when are we going to get it and more importantly b) why would *anyone* consider a 1.4 Auris now and c) why would anyone go for the diesel model when this comes out, when the petrol is only 7.8 mpg less frugal, has almost identical CO2 emissions, has a 6 speed box, stop start technology and since this is a motors forum, has 11 bhp more?

I imagine it'll be 2011 before we see it considering every unreg'd right hand drive 1.4 Auris on the planet is probably sitting in a compound on Killeen Road and have to be gotten rid of first, the same reason the new Avensis will probably be slow to arrive.

The Urban Cruiser does come with this engine though, so that'll be an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

I have an unusual question about an Auris.
    I have a 1.4 petrol...great car...no complaints....but....
    When i indicate left,it does not automatically click off unless i make a good turn of the wheel.
    A fella in my local toyota told me thats the way they drive...i cannot believe this to be true...can anyone shed any light on this for me ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

ninty9er wrote: »
    I imagine it'll be 2011 before we see it considering every unreg'd right hand drive 1.4 Auris on the planet is probably sitting in a compound on Killeen Road and have to be gotten rid of first, the same reason the new Avensis will probably be slow to arrive.

LOL:D! We really do suck as a nation don't we? I realise that traditionally we always loved our pint sized petrol engines, but really they should have been able to get rid of all these kind of cars ages ago. I mean surely to goodness when the VRT changes were announced over a year ago someone in Toyota Ireland communicated with the Toyota factory in Burnaston and said something along the lines of "look, the Irish tax regime has just been changed and it now means that cars with lower CO2 will cost less to buy and to run. Do not build any more 1.4 Aurises for the Irish market, as next July nobody will want them. Just build 1.4 D-4Ds instead, and a handful of 2.0 D-4Ds". And similarly for the Avensis and Corolla.

Oh well, Toyota are down 23.2% sales wise here this year, and have lost 1% of the market share while Ford have gained 1% and are now within an asses roar of Toyota. and that's in spite of the fact that Ford brought the new Focus in in March and don't give us the cleaner and better 1.6 TDCi.

If they keep going the way they are and don't bring in what the consumer wants they'll lose even more market share. Irish people are unbelieveably loyal to Toyota and a bit like FF there is a certain significant element that would never ever buy anything else but they're not that loyal.

But this kind of scenario of trying to offload stuff that nobody wants to Ireland is hardly unique to Toyota by stretch of the imagination, after all Universal Honda only brought in the Accord in towards the end of last month, because they were trying to get rid of the old Accord.
    Meanwhile the same car was on sale in May in the UK/the North, and Universal Honda here allegedly lost several hundred sales in the interim period. People brought the new model in from the North.

And it is a very popular rumour that the reason the 1.6 TDCi was pulled from the Irish market was so as to help Ford dealers get rid of the 1.4 Focuses, again a kind of car that nobody wants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Is there many people out there who would look at an Auris?

My office is across from Toyota, i was actually over there earlier - the is a fu*kin massive amount of them sittin over there! Hopefully the new Avensis will be around for Feb according to the guy over there i was talking to, but if your looking for a bargain in the meantime, an old model 2.0D4D Aura Avensis will cost you a shade over €23000....

The reason the 1.6TDCi engine died in the Focus was there was production problems in the factory, so they had no option but to fit the 1.8TDCi engine from the Mondeo into it... Now that its there and people still buy it, we wont be seeing the 1.6 engine anymore..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Meh, despite the new engine, i still think the Auris is an absolutely revolting car

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

I'd say if they fitted that engine in the Avensis it would sell like hotcakes here. People would buy it for the sake of it being pint sized and it's perceived running costs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

The reason the 1.6TDCi engine died in the Focus was there was production problems in the factory, so they had no option but to fit the 1.8TDCi engine from the Mondeo into it

I'm sorry but that's the greatest load of cock and bull I've ever heard.

The 1.6 TDCi is still sold in the UK, in 89 bhp and 108 bhp guises, as well as the ECOnetic trim level as well. The 1.8 TDCi 113 bhp is available in the UK too, and it costs exactly the same as the 1.6 TDCi 108 bhp.

Oh and in the Continent the 1.8 TDCi isn't even available, they get the 1.6 and 2.0 TDCis only.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,248 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Peugeot, Citroen, Volvo and Mazda continue to offer the same 1.6 diesel found in the Focus, they have no supply issues.

The reason I think Ford dropped it in Ireland was because it would be similar in price to the 1.4 petrol version after 1st July but cheaper to tax meaning many people who normally opted for the 1.4 petrol would prefer the 1.6 TDCi. That would leave Ford with lots of unsold 1.4 Focus.

Also why is the Focus 2.0 TDCi not available here in manual? We only get the auto version and detuned to a miserable 110bhp. Somebody tell Ford Ireland we don't tax our cars based on engine size anymore.

Advertisement