Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Eagle f1 replacements

Options
  • 05-12-2008 5:27pm
    Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,515 ✭✭✭✭

Hi All,
    Need to replace my two front tyres (both Eagle f1’s 215/45/17) and Im wondering does anyone know of a similar reliable tyre but for lesser value? Purely looking for grip, and i have to say, they were incredible for grip, so I would like to go for something similar.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,116 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

vredestein ultrac sessanta, a better all round tyre than the eagle in my experience

or the new goodyear assymetric

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,515 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Cyrus wrote: »
    vredestein ultrac sessanta, a better all round tyre than the eagle in my experience

or the new goodyear assymetric

In what way? Grip wise? Are they considerably cheaper? I dont mind going for the f1's again, its just at the cost they are, I would rather something a little less.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,116 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

grip in dry and wet, longevity, road noise, rim protector and looks

the importance is on a descending scale there :D

not sure if they are noticeable cheaper or even any cheaper,

the f1s are cheap here by the way if you know a fitter?

http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m4b0s15p9479

I need them for the weekend/early next week so ordering online isint the best option, but il have a look! Thanks!
    Also, I was thinking of moving down to 205s. Would it make much of a difference having slightly narrower tyres to the front? Its a FWD.
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭joeperry

www.tyrereviews.co.uk has lots of info, alot of the guys in BMW forums in the UK recommened Falken 452s as their cheap and grippy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

joeperry wrote: »
    www.tyrereviews.co.uk has lots of info, alot of the guys in BMW forums in the UK recommened Falken 452s as their cheap and grippy.

i have them and like them but not as grippy as my previous Toyo T1-R's

Totally forgot about the toyos! Went to get them last time but said itd take a few weeks to get them in because they're special order!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

Having tried quite a few over the years...I found...

Toyo T1R's to be too soft so very fast at wearing

Falkens FK452s not so great in the wet, but ok for the budget tyre choice

If you can't stretch to the F1's I'd be inclined to go for the Kumho Ecsta Sport KU31. Great tyre for the money.

joeperry wrote: »

+1 for the Falken FK452's. They are an excellent tyre and may be good value but are not a "budget" tyre they are a Y rated tyre which says it all are very good in the wet anybody who says otherwise knows nothing. I had f1's before and they are an excellent tyre but the 452's are well up there with them!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

The newer F1's the asymmetrics are not that dear on camskill as cyrus pointed out,they are also great with delivery,my last order took 2 days to arrive from uk,so if you ordered monday you would have wednesday.

The are also the best tyre i've ever had on a car (the asymmetrics i mean) far superior in every way to the old GSD3's.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the replies. I could go for the f1's no problem, but Id like to try a lesser (priced) tyre. My own concern is that Ive had f1's so Im used to the grip of them.
    In terms of the softer wearing Toyo's Im sure they'd last longer than the f1's :) I know tyres are the only thing to keep you on the road and shouldnt skimp, but Im still looking for a good tyre, not those cheap 60 ones!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

+1 for the Falken FK452's. They are an excellent tyre and may be good value but are not a "budget" tyre they are a Y rated tyre which says it all are very good in the wet anybody who says otherwise knows nothing.

:rolleyes:

I've tried them twice... bought a set and bought another car with them already fitted.
    Depends what you define as budget I suppose..price wise they are a budget tyre and you get what you pay for in this instance. Perfectly good tyre for the initial couple of thousand miles, then it rains and they become pants IMO.

See thats the benefits of the f1s. They pretty much have grip all the way down. I reckon Ive gotten over 15k -20k kms from the front set. Rears are near on perfect. Thats the only issue with them. They wear away exceptionaly fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

Bought a set of F1s for my Focus today. €120 each including fitting, balancing and tracking (16" 205/50).

maidhc wrote: »
    Bought a set of F1s for my Focus today. €120 each including fitting, balancing and tracking (16" 205/50).

Im looking at €150 each with fitting and balancing. Guy in a different garage looked at me going "they're expensive, you know. I doubt you know how much they cost (in a condesending tone)". I asked him to follow me out to the car and pointed at all 4 F1's on the car and said "yeah, I made these myself :rolleyes:" Tosser!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

just priced 4 F1 assym's on camskill there as i'll be ordering midweek 4 x 225/40/18's to my door for 476 euro,luckily i can get them fitted for free but thats still shockingly good value!!

I'll never forget the exp i had ringing around for my first F1 GSD3's years ago in the days before i discovered eiretyres/camskill etc every place i rang asked me what i was putting them before the would quote me!

"what are you putting them on?"

"A golf"

"A golf????? Is it some sort of special golf?-sure the'd be wasted on a golf"

It got to the stage where i rang one small country place and some young fella answered...

"hi id like to price 4 goodyear eagle F1's please"

phone held away from mouth and shouts

"da theres some lad on the phone looking for a price on 4 goodyear F1s..."

da replies way off in the background

"Whats he putting them on?"

son back on phone
    "what are you putting them on?"

me pissed off so decide to have a little fun

"there for a ferrari 360 modena

phone away from mouth shouts at da,a little more enthusiastically...

"da he wants them for a ferrari 3..(bit of rustling and movement) "give me that phone son....

dad on the phone all business

"hows it going,i'll you a price on them now sir"

his price was stupidly high because he heard i had a ferrari,he was cute,he wasn't cute enough to realise that 225/40/18'd wouldnt go near a 360!

I left him with a promise to ring back tellling him his price was the cheapest i had got!

rant over lol

Advertisement