Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Oil at $42 barrel - How much should petrol/diesel cost?

Options
  • 05-12-2008 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭

Given that oil is now selling at $42 a barrel, oil prices have fallen about 70 percent since peaking at $147.27 in July, how much should a liter of petrol/diesel cost when VAT/Duty, production and retails costs are added in. Could we see petrol/diesel selling below €0.90.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,367 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

With the current taxes, I cant see prices going below 94, 95 cents. The other danger of these good prices are that the government might decide to add another few cents on in tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Oil was at around this price in mid-2004.

In June 2004, prices were:

Unleaded
    100.4c

Diesel
    91.6c

Super
    109.6c

..according to AA Roadwatch.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I got more than i put in, ie. put in €40 yo yo's and got 40 litre . something. So as long as it stays that way, i'm don't really mind. When it's goes over the €0.99 mark again i'll start to worry:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Cork stations still havnt gone below the 101.9 mark yet which is really annoying cos i want 60litres for €60 :p:p:p

Hogzy wrote: »
    Cork stations still havnt gone below the 101.9 mark yet which is really annoying cos i want 60litres for €60 :p:p:p

Come to the dark side:D

Ie. Limerick:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Filled up in cork yesterday and it was only 99.9c. That said, a couple of miles down the road it was 102.9c:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Cork stations still haven't gone below the 101.9 mark yet which is really annoying cos I want 60litres for €60 :p:p:p
    101.9 - 102.9 appears to be the norm around this neck of the woods too, i.e. Bray / South Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

DonJose wrote: »
    Given that oil is now selling at $42 a barrel

According to RTÉ.ie... some now as low as $39.50

Crude oil prices plunged below $40 to their lowest levels in nearly four years, as worse-than-expected jobs data in the US raised prospects of a severe fall in energy demand.

In London, Brent North Sea crude slid to $39.50 a barrel, the lowest level since the January 2005. US light sweet crude for January slid to $42.00 in New York, also a near four-year low.

Later, London Brent stood at $40.20, down $2.08 from Thursday's close. US crude was down $1.27 at $42.40 a barrel.

Oil prices have plunged by more than two thirds since reaching record high points above $147 in July, pulled down by a widening global economic slowdown which affects demand.

Earlier, the International Energy Agency lowered its projections for global oil demand in 2008-2013, foreseeing annual growth of 1.2% rather than the previous 1.6% in the face of a worldwide economic slump.

In an announcement ahead of the US jobs data, the IEA said demand for oil products should climb from 86.2 million barrels a day in 2008 to 91.3 million in 2013, altering forecasts it had made in July.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

The Renault garage on the Model Farm Road was 99c for a few days early last week, but it's 101 again now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Mickk

Good article about petrol prices here, http://www.ipia.ie/Issues/upload/What_determines_pump_prices.pdf

Basically if petrol was free we would still get charged 63 cents duty plus transportation costs (~3c) and petrol forecourts overheads (~3c) plus the profit (~1c) so before petrol price even comes into it its up to 70c a litre (Hammertime might correct me here?)

The best price around ireland now is 96.9 which has the petrol itself being 26.9 cents or 22.1 plus vat, at the current exchange rate, in order for petrol prices to reach 89 cents the price of a barrel would have to go down to around 29 dollars a barrel...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Mickk

Furet wrote: »
    The Renault garage on the Model Farm Road was 99c for a few days early last week, but it's 101 again now.

Don't forget the government in all their wisdom increased the vat rate by half a percent which came into effect last monday.

South Link Service station is .99c HURRAHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Applegreen tyrconnell rd, 98.9c. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭Dartz

Blanchardstown Renault... 108.9c for both :mad:

Fortunately, the Hartstown Topaz does Petrol at 99.9, and Diesel at 101.9 IIRC

• Registered Users Posts: 16,052 ✭✭✭✭event

.99 cent pretty much everywhere in dundalk, has been for the last week or so

Nearly every station in cork apart from the usual rip offs like texaco in blackrock/mahon! Strange how there all basically the exact same price! I love it:D Happy christmas fuel tank... Actually no, ill change that, happy christmas wallet:p

• Registered Users Posts: 68,997 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Dartz wrote: »
    Blanchardstown Renault... 108.9c for both :mad:

Last time I tried to get fuel there I was told "the power is out, the pumps are off". Oddly enough the Power City in the same estate had power, as did the Blanch centre...

Not enough to feed the meter I wonder ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Texaco, Tower Rd Clondalkin 97c. Not sure about the diesel, it's only a newly refurbished garage so I'd imagine they'd be competitive. :)

Most places around Limerick are at the 97 mark. It's great haha:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Once it stays below the euro mark I'm happy out tbh

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

The desial should be cheaper than petrol.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

there is a lot more trading in oil than there used to be
    used to pass through 3 traders on average now up to 20 and each takes a slice of profit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

Athy 94.9 for Diesel :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Plug wrote: »
    The desial should be cheaper than petrol.

no it shouldn't

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭inode

over in the states im getting regular for $1.59 a gallon. only a few weeks ago it was like 2.20 a gallon. Back in october it as nearly 3.59 a gallon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭mumhaabu

inode wrote: »
    over in the states im getting regular for $1.59 a gallon. only a few weeks ago it was like 2.20 a gallon. Back in october it as nearly 3.59 a gallon

What state you in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭inode

in las vegas at the moment but have been travelling for the last two months from new york city the whole way over San Francisco

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

Im delighted to say that im picking up diesel around Nenagh/Borrisokane for 98.9c a litre..... @ 56mpg average im happy out!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

petrol/diesel should be 85-90 c per liter, diesel being the cheap seening as its quicker and cheaper to produce... :rolleyes:

Advertisement