Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Oil at $42 barrel - How much should petrol/diesel cost?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

S.I.R wrote: »
    petrol/diesel should be 85-90 c per liter, diesel being the cheap seening as its quicker and cheaper to produce... :rolleyes:

Care to elaborate why 'should' it be at this price? As the current Wholesale for UNL and Derv is substancially more than that amount.

Also, for the record Diesel ALWAYS undergoes a price surge in Winter due to the base materials of Derv are also used to make Home Heating Oil.

The average Hydrocarbons in Derv are C12H26 (C = the quanitity of Carbon Atoms in the blend with H being the quantity of Hyrdogen Atoms in the blend), The range of hydrocarbons found in in Home Heating Oil have a expanded range from about C10H25 to C16H34, which means that in effect on the lighter end of the scale the two products are essentially almost identical in composition, hence the dye agent that is often added to the light blend home heating oils in some countries tpo prevent people using the cheaper HHO product in their vehicles.

So to conclude, Derv should not be cheaper than UNL as it is currently in direct competition with the Heating Oil market which with the freezing temperatures at the moment is absolutely booming and as a result a lot of the refineries in Wexford are almost soley concentrating on producing HHO instead of Derv thus reducing the quantity being made, and as a result the price is increased wholesale due to supply and demand.

Also internationally these blends are highly in demand so the option of importing finished product cheaper is no longer there.

So I have to ask again, why do you say that fuel should be available at the pumps at 85c, and that Derv should be cheaper? What are you basing this on?

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

95.9 cent a litre diesel in Rathnew Station. HAPPPY DAYS! Cost 48 euro for 50.5 L

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

http://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2008/05/cftc-investigation-of-oil-trading.html "The West Texas Intermediate oil contract, based on delivery in Cushing, Oklahoma, is good for 300,000-400,000 barrels per day. The storage capacity in Cushing is about 20.5m barrels. The trading volume on which that is based is between 500m and 600m barrels per day. If you are going to manipulate the price, you would think about doing that in Cushing."

http://www.bloggingstocks.com/2008/08/21/speculation-accounts-for-81-of-oil-trading-volume/ the Commodities Futures Trading Commission (CFTC) has analyzed the books of oil traders and calculated that 81% of oil trading volume was conducted by speculators.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Hammertime wrote: »
    no it shouldn't
    Yes it should, its cheaper to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Plug wrote: »
    Yes it should, its cheaper to make.

I refer to my post of 11:08 today. There are more than simply the costs of manufactoring to consider in the price of a product.

Derv will most likely be increasing in price in the next few weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

I love it when people post on boards that petrol should be at this price, or diesel should be at that price, but never back it up with any reasoning.

I always wonder what profession they are in. I know that they are not in the oil/petrol industry. I know that they do not own a filling station, or we would be able to fill up for less than what we can now. :D

hammertime is very good at keeping us informed about the price of petrol and diesel, and why the price is what it is, but, yet, there are still posters who do not believe him. :confused:

He is in the fuel trade.

I think it should cost €10 to see my doctor, because that is what my father paid when he was my age. :rolleyes:

Advertisement