Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"disk unreadable" - when playing from HDD

• 05-12-2008 6:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭

I installed Forza to the HDD (20Gig) because even though it's a brand new original it was giving "disk unreadable" errors.

The HD install went perfect, it's playing from the HD but still giving a disk unreadable error - always in the same place - just after finishing a race. I've connected to Live and the game updated to the latest version.

Anyone else seen these errors while playing from the HD - I had "fallout 3" installed previously and played about 40 hours without any hassle. It's strange because Forza was giving the same errors playing from the DVD and now from HD. I turned off the menu music and the error has dropped from about every 2/3 races down to every 5/6 races - but it's still damn annoying.

Is it my copy of Forza ? My DVD Drive? My HDD? The XBox itself? any ideas?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

It sounds like an issue with the disc, It's most likely trying to read something like a periodical diskcheck which proves it's genuine and can't for some reason, this would be my guess, you could rent another copy of the game or borrow it off someone you might know who has it - most likely it will let you know if it's the game or the xbox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Single Malt

It could be a bad disc. The install puts an image of your disc onto your harddrive, and if there is an issue with your disc, there may also be an issue with your install. Try to borrow/rent a copy, and install that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Evolute

Bring your copy of Forza back to the shop get a new one and delete it off the hard drive then install it off the new disc.
    The install function on the xbox is the same as the way older pc games used to be where you had to keep the disc.
    Also all of the videos in the game will be played off the disc not the hdd even though you have installed it and being the same idea if the disc is bogey the install will be the same

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Getting errors in the game now.

Maybe it's something still being read from the DVD, though the DVD drive is quite noisy and I can tell when it's spinning - and it doesn't seem to be.

Installed Dead Space to HD and getting the same problem - can't even get through to the start of the game - so it's not the Forza Disk - XBox or HD must be a problem - bought the XBox 2nd hand a few days ago so I'm guessing it's a problem with the console as I've had the HD ages with no hassles (My last console RRoD'd and I replaced just the console).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Evolute

Must be the disc drive on the xbox is on the way out could be why it was traded in the first place. Hope ya still have your receipt man

what I don't understand is how the copy/install process succeeds - this is digital data (and signed) it just shouldn't be possible to make a corrupt copy - if the DVD drive is sending bad data the console should spot it and stop it. Also if the "copy" on the HDD is bad then the game should crash/stop in the same place every time, this isn't the case (with the HD install of FM2) - it crashed regularly but not at the same time place.

My google-fu is weak - I can't find anyone else with this error (on a HDD installed game) - but 1,000s of posts about the error when playing on DVDs, many seeming to think that the actual error is unrelated to a "bad disk" or drive but a symptom of a failing console.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭ROC1977

how long have you got the 360. Do you watch dvd movies on it?
    If your 360 has been around a while a couple of years old. Then the laser could be on its way out. Some Older 360's have rubbish dvd drives.

Google Xbox 360 laser pot adjustment. I used to get read disc errors all the time on my old 360. But adjusted the pot and that fixed it.

By the way folks, when you install a 360 game onto the HDD, you are not installing the full image of the game only about 80% of it. The other 20% runs off the disc. So it is possible for a bad disc to still fu3k up an installed game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 beefyjohn

I get the same issue with forza locking up. i havent installed it on my hard drive yet but i dont think i will. forza seems to be one of the biggest games for RRoD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭ROC1977

I'm not sure that games have anything to do with RRoD. Overheating, X clamp, and badly soldered points.

• Advertisement
Advertisement