Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Dec 7] IPSA EGM

Options
  • 05-12-2008 6:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭

From the IPSA website:
    Notice of EGM
    Please note due to largest interest from members the venue has been changed to Tullamore Court Hotel
    Date and Time: Sunday 07/12/08 at 12.00 Noon
    Venue: Tullamore Court Hotel, Tullamore, Co. Offaly.

This meeting will consist of an information meeting, with all up-to-date information, followed by a question and answer session. Following this, the membership will be asked to vote on the two following resolutions.

1). That the association be maintained as a legal entity, and its current operational status be continued, while all avenues including legal opinions and options continue to be aggressively examined and explored, with a report back to the membership at a future EGM.

2) That the association be wound up as of 31/12/08

<name snipped -sparks>
    Secretary,
    IPSA

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭G17

Hi mods, should this be moved to the target shooting section? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Nope, no politics allowed there, and this is political.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

IWM nailed it - this ties into the recent stuff on banning handguns, and all that stuff is in here, so here this is. It was originally in the handgun ban thread, but this seemed more appropriate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭G17

My bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭les45

As I had the honour to announce the forming of the IPSA on the sixth of March 2005 I will also take this opportunity to announce that as of the 31 of December 2008 The Irish Practical Shooting Association will cease to exist . On behalf of the committee and indeed my self I would like to thank all our members for their support over the last 4 years , the ranges that hosted IPSC matches , MNSI , Castlebridge and Nurney , the Department of Justice for their help and guidance , and all other shooting groups that assisted us over the last number of years .
    I would also like to express our gratitude to Boards for allowing us to use this forum to advertise matches etc .

John FitzGerald Regional Director IPSA .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

les45 wrote: »
    As I had the honour to announce the forming of the IPSA on the sixth of March 2005 I will also take this oppertunity to announce that as of the 31 of December 2008 The Irish Practical Association will cease to exist . On behalf of the committee and indeed my self I would like to thank all our members for their support over the last 4 years , the ranges that hosted IPSC matches , MNSI , Castlebridge and Nurney , the Department of Justice for their help and guidance , and all other shooting groups that assisted us over the last number of years .
    I would also like to express our gratitude to Boards for allowing us to use this forum to advertise matches etc .

John FitzGerald Regional Director IPSA .

Gutted for you lads :(

EDIT: If there's anything you think we could do to help let us know. Probably too late for that but there's a lot of us here who would write a letter or send an e-mail for you guys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Sorry to hear that it has come to this lads :(

Reckon in the fullness of time your sacrifice will be recognised. I am a pistol owner and personally I want to say thanks to all concerned for this selfless act ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

:( This is very sad news for Irish shooting. I'm absolutely gutted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

A sad day is right, I'm sorry for ye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

It's nothing short of a disgrace that the National Governing Body of an internationally recognised sporting code has been forced into a position from where it had realistically no option but to dissolve itself.

The campaign of disinformation and black propaganda against IPSA and IPSC shooting that led to this is positively repugnant, and those involved should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves.

Anyone thinking that this will have any effect whatsoever on 'gun crime' is utterly deluded and equally, anyone thinking that this will somehow safeguard other firearms and sporting codes is just as deluded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

Rovi wrote: »
    Anyone thinking that this will have any effect whatsoever on 'gun crime' is utterly deluded and equally, anyone thinking that this will somehow safeguard other firearms and sporting codes is just as deluded.

IMHO its the beginning of the end.

Jonty wrote: »
    IMHO its the beginning of the end.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭les45

Vegeta wrote: »
    Gutted for you lads :(

EDIT: If there's anything you think we could do to help let us know. Probably too late for that but there's a lot of us here who would write a letter or send an e-mail for you guys
    Veg . You offer is very welcome , but after two meetings with a very senior Government Minister and reps from the Shooting Groups on the FCP we really were left with no option but to cease all IPSC shooting activities here in Ireland. Considering how bad the roads were yesterday we had a reasonable turn out of members , it was 97% vote to disband from the members that made the journey . A very difficult day for all IPSC shooters in Ireland .

Again thank you for your support ,

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Gerri

Veg . You offer is very welcome , but after two meetings with a very senior Government Minister and reps from the Shooting Groups on the FCP we really were left with no option but to cease all IPSC shooting activities here in Ireland. Considering how bad the roads were yesterday we had a reasonable turn out of members , it was 97% vote to disband from the members that made the journey . A very difficult day for all IPSC shooters in Ireland .

John

Does this mean there will be no more IPSA shoots in Hilltop?

Gerri wrote: »
    It means that there will be no more IPSA events anywhere.
    The individual ranges still exist of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

John

How does a sport where Irish competitors participate and travel to international competitions (and doing well, considering the age of the sport in the country) get crushed in such a short space of time.

I am literally dumb founded and extremely saddened by this.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

the Department of Justice for their help and guidance
    :eek::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

John,I know you are trying to be magnamious and diplomatic here.

But that from what you and others have said about dealing with "them and a paticular individual in that Dept, who was pushing for us to close up .....Well words fail me......

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Vegeta wrote: »
    How does a sport where Irish competitors participate and travel to international competitions (and doing well, considering the age of the sport in the country) get crushed in such a short space of time.

I am literally dumb founded and extremely saddened by this.

They were doing way better than certain other shooting disciplines who will escape this current purge unscathed :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Gun Shy

Well guys and gals just wanted to echo the sentiments expressed by John Fitzgerald in his earlier posting, and to thank all those both nationally and internationally who contributed in no small part to the formation of IPSA, and allowed us achieve such a high level of international recognition and acclaim in such a short time.
    A special mention to those members of IPSA who were interested and committed enough to trust us on our foray into IPSC Shooting and who could see the bigger picture a big THANK YOU.
    JD Corcoran
    Founder Member and First Membership Secretary IPSA

Gerri wrote: »

There has NEVER been an IPSA shoot in Hilltop

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

Unfortunately now the Minister and the Department can now claim they never banned the IPSA, they voted themselves out of existence.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

It's a pity to see the IPSA go after such a short lifespan. Are there any plans to continue up North, on the Isle of Man or further afield?
    They were doing way better than certain other shooting disciplines who will escape this current purge unscathed :mad:

Less of the digs please bunny, they aren't going to help the situation. Also, it's far from clear who will and will not lose out in this round of legislative spanking (since the Bill in question hasn't been published yet) so I wouldn't go jumping to conclusions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭packas

dresden8 wrote: »
    Unfortunately now the Minister and the Department can now claim they never banned the IPSA, they voted themselves out of existence.

I'm not sure how a Government would legislate to ban a recognised sport.

Just to echo what John & JD said earlier. Thanks to all who supported IPSA & IPSC. Also to the members who voted to disband for the greater good of the sport and shooting sports in general. IPSC will continue to be the largest and most popular shooting sport. It's a sport I will always love. Maybe that was why we were doomed to failure in Ireland...being too polpuar & growing so quickly?

Again thanks to the committee & all committed IPSC shooters.

regards,
    Pat.

IRLConor wrote: »
    It's a pity to see the IPSA go after such a short lifespan. Are there any plans to continue up North, on the Isle of Man or further afield?.
    The sport is recognised by governments and supported (both monetarily and institutionally) by official national sports funding bodies all around the world, INCLUDING in that most nannylike of Nanny States, our next door neighbours in the United Kingdom, so the irrational fear being displayed by the powers that be here is all the more puzzling.

Unless the Minister is planning to restrict the right to travel, plenty of people will be carrying on their involvement in the sport in other jurisdictions.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Rovi wrote: »
    Unless the Minister is planning to restrict the right to travel, plenty of people will be carrying on their involvement in the sport in other jurisdictions.

Good to hear they're not giving up altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Kind of a question of jump or being pushed folks.:(
    Personally,I am going to see if I can continue up in NI or Germany.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

There literally was no choice but to disband - we were given the choice to disband IPSA and continue pistol shooting in Ireland or keep IPSA and see a total abolition of all pistol and revolver shooting disciplines.

Not really what I would refer to as a choice.

So, as it stands today, IPSA is still suspending all activities and will cease to exist, at the end of the year.

There's nothing to say but that it is a sorry state of affairs.
    As Rovi said - those that brought this situation about should be ashamed of themselves

The Pistol and Revolver Shooting Sports in Ireland continue.

B'Man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 BoxOfTruth

As a grass roots member of IPSA, at least till the end of the year :-( , I would like to thank John, all commitee members, instructors, coaches and RO's for the massive effort they have all put into our sport over the last few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Could you back that up with facts bunny? I'm always happy to hear where Irish shooters are doing well abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I think we can leave the usual ISSF/IPSC scrap to one side for this thread guys. You'd be trying to compare chalk and a range of cheeses anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Sparks wrote: »
    I think we can leave the usual ISSF/IPSC scrap to one side for this thread guys. You'd be trying to compare chalk and a range of cheeses anyway.

I like cheese :D

Sorry, I wasn't trying to cause a scrap, just looking for some good news.. anywhere..

Advertisement