Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Orange Lodge in Bandon

Options
  • 05-12-2008 7:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭

This is something that has been racking my brains for a while.

I have a bit of interest in Irish history, does anyone know if there is still an orange lodge in Bandon? Been looking around on the net and can't find anything.

I hear if was allegedly burned down by the Old IRA in 1920-22, don't how true that is tho.

Seem to remember something on RTE news about some members of this lodge a few years ago, not sure if I say a few lads practising drums near Bandon courthouse recently not sure if it had something to do with it...

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,439 ✭✭✭jhegarty

There is a former lodge (i think lodge , defianlty was an orange order building) , which is now a private house.

It's across from entrance to lidl/supervalue car park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭segaBOY

jhegarty wrote: »
    There is a former lodge (i think lodge , defianlty was an orange order building) , which is now a private house.

Thanks, know the area you're talking about never knew bout a lodge there tho, thank once again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 donieD

jhegarty wrote: »

Thats correct to the best of my knowledge, also I think there may be some orange order memorabilia kept in christchurch on north main street which there was shown in a program on rte about a couple of years ago.Cant remember the program name though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 donieD

Forgot to say i think the burning could be Castlebernard which was burned at this time and lord bandon taken hostage and later released

• Registered Users Posts: 12,486 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

the orange lodge is owned by McCArthy family from near Beara, Paisley even visited it a few years ago

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭segaBOY

Thanks for all your comments lads, interesting stuff-is anything still active around there? I suppose we're in an era of a lot more acceptance with regard 10 years after the Good Friday Agreement and current on going peace process (even in a stalled fashion) etc.

Can't say I'd be joining the Order but good to see some stuff has been kept for further generations to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,486 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

don';t think orange order stuff goes on but it is still one of the largest protestant towns in Ireland, the phrase "even the pigs are protestant" is said with reference to Bandon. However, the catholic procession still goes through the town every year and lot of other religions come to watch it and lots of inter religion cerremonies take place, theres a lot of different churches in Bandon e.g. methodist, baptist (number of churches), jehovahs witnesses to name but a few.

Advertisement