Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

OCZ SSD woes

• 05-12-2008 7:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭

I got one of these a few months back , had been running it fine for several months with no issues but this week has been a nightmare, I have no idea why, I lost 3 OS installs due to corruption, had a lot of bother getting things sorted, was pointed to an optimisation page for these which I thought might fix the problems, anyway followed it to the letter but came home today brought the PC out of sleep and got a bluescreen -NVstor64.sys on reboot I get an error occured while attempting to read the boot configuration data, that seems to point to nvidia drivers maybe they have been the problem, i don't know ,

anyway when i boot off the windows disk it just hangs with the hd activity light on, also tried booting off my ghost disk but it also just hangs, i booted of cute partition manager but it doesnt recognise ssd's wouldn't you know lol

anyway i thought i would wipe the ssd, reimage and change nvidia drivers to see if that did any use, but how can i do that now ?

I can image another of my drives boot off that and see can i see/format the ssd, or i can try downloading a different partition/format tool to wipe it,
    does anyone have any suggestions ?

I'm close to just fecking the thing in the bin tbh, i bought it off memoryC anybody know what their position would be if i asked whats the story on returning this

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

I installed Vista on another disk, I can see the ssd as unallocated space but when I try to initialise the disk it says the operation failed due to an I/O error, I guess it's broken, I'm going to try and send it back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

The OCZ ssds have been doing this a lot lately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

If you've been using the SSD for several months without those optimizations applied then you've probably fubar'd the drive. An RMA is probably your best bet

I have indeed lol, rma it is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭SeanW

Yes, definately RMA that Core, and replace it with something better. IMO the Cores are overrated.

Réalta now has Mtron Single Level Cell SSDs down to the price where I would call them a good deal.
    http://www.realta.ie/ssdrive-ssd-shop/26-mtron-mobi-3535-slc-ssd-35-desktop-size.html
    These wouldn't be much more expensive than your Core, and would be faster as well far more robust.

• Advertisement

I have to say though having gone back to a bog standard maxtor drive the difference in boot times is amazing, it's a full 2 or three minutes longer now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

get a samsung SSD. not this cheap MLC stuff from ocz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭Conar

I've had no problems with mine since I got it installed properly.
    Had some issues initially but once I streamlined SP1 on to my Vista install all went fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Advertisement