Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hi, info and advice please on renting..

Options
  • 05-12-2008 7:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭

Hi folks the girlfriend and i are planning to move into a new apartment,as i went to pay the deposit the landlord said she needed one months rent AND one months rent as deposit up front before the lease can be drawn up and to get the keys,, is this right, because when i moved into our current place we just paid months deposit,got the keys and paid monthly from there.Any info and advice is welcome..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

that's been my experience in the past, one month's rent in advance and one month deposit, you could haggle now as there are tons of places available. say it to her that your previous landlord accepted one month's deposit and if possible get a reference from him which would vouch for you as a good tenant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

gversey wrote: »
    Hi folks the girlfriend and i are planning to move into a new apartment,as i went to pay the deposit the landlord said she needed one months rent AND one months rent as deposit up front before the lease can be drawn up and to get the keys,, is this right, because when i moved into our current place we just paid months deposit,got the keys and paid monthly from there.Any info and advice is welcome..

Yup, one months rent up front and a months rent as deposit. That's pretty standard from what I've seen during our apartment hunts. It's also what we ask for if we advertise for flatmates.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

gversey wrote: »
    before the lease can be drawn up
    No, they should have the lease up front. Otherwise they'll try to insert all sorts of stuff (but of course, you can decline to sign).

Say you are moving in on 1 February. Typical process:

25 Jan: Landlord gives you the lease.
    27 Jan: You sign lease, give landlord deposit and February's rent.
    1 Feb: You move in.
    1 Mar: You pay the March rent.
    Many months later.
    1 Nov: You give landlord notice that you are moving out on 1 Dec. You pay November's rent.
    1 Dec: You move out. Landlord inspects property, makes sure bills are paid and gives you your deposit back.

Some landlords will ask you to pay the last month's rent up front, at the start of the tenancy. Some will just try to fudge it and scam you. Some will try to charge administration fees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Emerald Lass

one months dep and one months rent is standard. It is to make sure you are paying at the start of the month for the following month, i.e move in 1st December, and pay for all of december. This means that when you are moving out and give at least one months notice, the last month is paid for. A lot of people try to use their deposit as the last months rent, which is against most lease agreements and a lot of LL's (myself included) will not accept this as if there is any damage or outstanding bills they will no longer have a deposit it cover it as it has been used for rent.
    The only time this is usually waived and deposit only is as requested is if oyu are getting the rent paid for by HSE or SW - then some LL's will allow you to pay at the end of the month, but its not usual - most still ask for the rent 1 mth in advance.

Advertisement