Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

play.com well over priced!

Options
  • 05-12-2008 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭

I think play.com are finished! the main reasons are
    -their exchange rate is a joke
    -they do not let you but in sterling
    -http://www.blahdvd.com and dvd.co.uk are always cheaper
    -they dont deliver gadgets/electronics to Eire
    -they take far too long to deliver!

I wont be using them again if only because of the sh/te exchange rate!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

blah blah blah...how many times is this going to be thrashed out

they still have free shipping and good deals like far cry 3 for 25.49 this week.
    shop around but don't think they will go under because of a few people in ireland boycotting them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

stek wrote: »
    I think play.com are finished!
    If they lost their many Irish customers completely I'd still stay they'd be fine for a while!
    -their exchange rate is a joke
    Definitely! Though the alternative is a delivery charge to Ireland, which would probably put off even more people.
    -they do not let you but in sterling
    Correct (force that poor exchange rate / delivery costs offset)
    -http://www.blahdvd.com and dvd.co.uk are always cheaper
    Haven't used dvd.co.uk, but I've only ever found Blah to be cheaper once (in around 40 checks) and that was years ago. I guess that depends on what sort of DVDs you buy (and I rarely buy new releases).
    -they dont deliver gadgets/electronics to Eire
    Nor do many sites, including Amazon (because of recycling legislation differences between here and the UK, and the logistics involved)
    -they take far too long to deliver!
    They are, but orders of magnitude quicker than SendIt, or CDWOW!

The fact is, there's some justification for the poor currency rate (offset the higher costs to Ireland), but only some. Even taking that in to account they're often cheaper than any other site and/or bricks'n'mortar. Not always, but often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

This thread is worrying me now! I'm thinking off buying a 2gb stick of ram of play.com for €21,and its the free shipping thats the deal maker.

How long does delivery actually take?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

The value of Play.com in general was very good until Sterling exprienced a value collapse. Play.com have yet to reflect this in their exchange rates, but as others have said, that price does include European shipping.

That said, this thread has no place what so ever on the 'Bargain Alerts' forum and should be either locked by a moderator or moved to After Hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Play.com is grand for games ,got a few games for the ps3 for little over 20 euro.

It's fine as long as you don't rely on them for everything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

311 wrote: »
    Play.com is grand for games ,got a few games for the ps3 for little over 20 euro.

It's fine as long as you don't rely on them for everything.

Absoultely right. I think it's safe to say all of us here buy from a collection of online sites - when one doesn't have good value one of the others invariably does.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

What the hell is this in the bargin alerts forum for?:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭tregan

hi there,

i've just purchased two bluetooth headsets for christmas presents - thought the prices were great but after my order i get the following message

"Thank you for your recent order with Play.com.

Please be advised that your first order must be dispatched to an address
    within the same country as your billing address"

I have a friend in london who said she'd take delivery and post to me as they wouldn't post to ireland. have written back to them asking for suggestions as to what i can do as i obviously don't live in england!!

how did anyone else get around this problem? thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,154 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

donmeister wrote: »
    This thread is worrying me now! I'm thinking off buying a 2gb stick of ram of play.com for €21,and its the free shipping thats the deal maker.

They wont deliver Ram to here

http://www.shop4memory.com/

Use shop4memory. Its free delivery and they're Irish and they're cheap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

I'm thinking off buying a 2gb stick of ram of play.com for €21,and its the free shipping thats the deal maker.

umm, just bought a 16gb for €15 on ebay.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Please take this over to Consumer Issues

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Dr. Nick wrote: »

I'd say you are mixing up a memory stick and actually Ram there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

Even with their crap exchange rate, i have often purchased from them and saved a fair few quid compared to high street prices.
    Always found their delivery times excellent and customer service excellent

Dr. Nick wrote: »

You bought a 16gb stick of ram on ebay? Your avin' a Giraffe mate!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Stek, thanks. I have been getting play.com newsletters for a while (hoping they'll get my DVD of choice, The Happiest Days of Your Life), and will now unsubscribe.

By the way, if you want a good place to buy memory, try OWC.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

Aquos76 wrote: »
    I'd say you are mixing up a memory stick and actually Ram there.

ah, yes. just read 'stick'

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

What annoys me is that they claim that delivery is free, but it isn't, they just raise the price on everything in euro to an extortionate amount to include delivery charge. How come I can get a game delivered from a different U.K. site for just a pound, when I'm charged so much more on play? I'm not buying it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

tregan wrote: »
    how did anyone else get around this problem?

They didn't, there's no way around it. Play won't ship these to you, so you can't buy them. Try www.mymemory.co.uk for bluetooth headsets. I bought this a few weeks ago, free delivery too.

Even though they charge more in Euro than £, I don't think it means Play.com are finished. They're still cheaper for a lot of stuff than buying locally, and they can still be cheaper than other websites too.

Check around before you buy, Asda, Sendit.com, DVD.co.uk, Blahdvd.com and mymemory.co.uk. Sometimes Play are good, other times not. Just like any site.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

jenno86 wrote: »
    http://www.shop4memory.com/

Use shop4memory. Its free delivery and they're Irish and they're cheap.

If you use the www.memoryc.com address they charge you €5 for delivery, service is excellent though so would recommend them. Go with the www.shop4memory.com to get free shipping (this is a strange one, why have two sites one charging the other not)

MC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Goods usually arrive from Play within the week. I tend to buy most stuff from them these days. The exchange rate may not be the best, but the free delivery and regalar offers works for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Xcom2

Placed an order with amazon.co.uk the other night because the play price was way too much.

Ordered 8 graphic novel's

amazon price including postage charge(£11.91) £82.28 = €95.14

play price with free postage £84.42 = €119.42(play rate)

The rest of europe seems to be subsidising cheaper prices for there uk customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

The exchange rate really is ridiculous now..
    Just take one example.. Id like to get this as a gift for someone
    Its £25 = 29 euro at todays exchange rate.
    Changing to euro on the play site it comes to 38 euro. Thats 10 euro of a difference. Thats an extra 1/3rd of the products cost.. what a rip off..

Its not a conspiracy with play ,their site is a freepost site.
    If they had to do a correct exchange rate for ireland ,they'd have to rewrite the whole site just for us. Then it wouldn't be a freepost website anymore.

Maybe it's just not worth their while to go to all that hassle. They could still charge what they liked anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Its not a conspiracy with play ,their site is a freepost site.
    If they had to do a correct exchange rate for ireland ,they'd have to rewrite the whole site just for us. Then it wouldn't be a freepost website anymore.

Maybe it's just not worth their while to go to all that hassle. They could still charge what they liked anyways.

what?? They don't have to re-write anything just to display different exchange rates! That's what scripts are for..

And it aint free post, as already stated here, they just up the price to cover the postage costs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

All they really need to do is allow us to pay in Sterling. The bank will handle the exchange rate for them. If they want to cover the extra delivery charge for posting to Ireland, then perhaps they could add a supplement of 1 pound or something.

jor el wrote: »
    All they really need to do is allow us to pay in Sterling. The bank will handle the exchange rate for them. If they want to cover the extra delivery charge for posting to Ireland, then perhaps they could add a supplement of 1 pound or something.

I've been getting a lot of stuff from amazon lately and as you know it's almost £2 sterling delivery for a dvd.
    Play's costs must be at least the same for ireland ,it's only on high price items like games that this affects on play with the exchange rate they have.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

if you don't like it don't buy from play.com, now stop creating these stupid threads!

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Xcom2

Cabaal wrote: »
    if you don't like it don't buy from play.com, now stop creating these stupid threads!

Well I dont buy from play.com anymore.I also dont see how this thread is stupid as it is in the consumer Issues forum and is informing consumer's about a frankly rip off practice.

All play have to do is allow us to pay in sterling and the banks will handle the rate but they wont as they are advertising the site as free postage but are adding it on(and more).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Xcom2 wrote: »
    Well I dont buy from play.com anymore.I also dont see how this thread is stupid as it is in the consumer Issues forum and is informing consumer's about a frankly rip off practice.

All play have to do is allow us to pay in sterling and the banks will handle the rate but they wont as they are advertising the site as free postage but are adding it on(and more).

Nobody forces anyone to buy from play.com, they can charge what they like in a free market

If a DVD in town is 20e and I try and sell it for 100e and someone buys it I'm not ripping anyone off I'm merely selling an item, not my problem if people don't shop around.

Advertisement