Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

play.com well over priced!

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

I was about to order a lot of DVDs and games from Play this morning until I checked the exchange rate. They are offering 70p to €1 when the currency market rate is closer to 94p to €1. Bit of a rip off there so I cancelled the order. At the current exchange rate, Play are barely cheaper than the bricks and mortar shops here and in some instances, HMV are actually cheaper than Play :eek: - oh how times have changed.

I sent an email to Play letting them know that I won't be buying from them again until they revise their exchange rate - I now live in the knowlege that Play are quaking in their boots at the loss of my custom ;):rolleyes::P

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭boopolo

cgarvey wrote: »
    Haven't used dvd.co.uk, but I've only ever found Blah to be cheaper once (in around 40 checks) and that was years ago
    Years ago sterling was way stronger. Play charge you 20% in exchange profit. Blahdvd charge £1 delivery. Even without this difference; blah are cheaper for some games/bluray. At the moment you can buy 2 blurays (from a big sellection) for £18. See they also have Little Big Planet for £18.99 including delivery. Smyths have Little big Planet on sale now ... reduced from €69.99 to €59.99:eek:

Boo

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭stek

I was about to order a lot of DVDs and games from Play this morning until I checked the exchange rate. They are offering 70p to €1 when the currency market rate is closer to 94p to €1. Bit of a rip off there so I cancelled the order. At the current exchange rate, Play are barely cheaper than the bricks and mortar shops here and in some instances, HMV are actually cheaper than Play :eek: - oh how times have changed.

I sent an email to Play letting them know that I won't be buying from them again until they revise their exchange rate - I now live in the knowlege that Play are quaking in their boots at the loss of my custom ;):rolleyes::P

try dvd.co.uk, they allow you to buy in sterling but they charge £1 for delivery. which still makes them competitive.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Xcom2 wrote: »
    Well I dont buy from play.com anymore.I also dont see how this thread is stupid as it is in the consumer Issues forum and is informing consumer's about a frankly rip off practice.

All play have to do is allow us to pay in sterling and the banks will handle the rate but they wont as they are advertising the site as free postage but are adding it on(and more).

If they're cheaper than anyone else then buy from them, If they aren't cheaper then don't buy from them.

It's simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭SASR

Mhm, I'm going to stop buying from Play.com unless they sort out their own conversion rate. A year back paying in Sterling was no problem there. I'm not gonna be paying the amounts they charge people in Ireland now that the Sterling is in a hoop.

• Advertisement
Advertisement