Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is French hard....???

Options
  • 05-12-2008 8:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Just wondering is French hard for the LC???. I know some French and can talk some. However is it difficult to study in a year???. I’m considering of studying it....as one subject to do for the LC (repeat LC) for admission requirements for universities.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

It's not too hard, but you need a pretty extensive vocabulary and good grasp of grammar.

There's a lot of focus on being precise. Your grammar has to be pretty good for the written pieces and so on.

I know someone who's originally from France- french being their first language- who only got an A2 in it last year,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

South_wind wrote: »
    Just wondering is French hard for the LC???. I know some French and can talk some. However is it difficult to study in a year???. I’m considering of studying it....as one subject to do for the LC (repeat LC) for admission requirements for universities.

It depends. I did French in 1st year with a good teacher but, she left. Then I got this hideous teacher who could not control a class for 2nd and 3rd year. She said I was well able for higher level..failed it in the JC.

Now for the LC, I have a great teacher and doing ordinary level at the moment and it's very easy yet, I haven't learnt anything prior coming into the LC course.

I reckon you'd be able to do ordinary for sure in a year but, for higher I'd really doubt it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭GA361

Do Italian.It's a hell of a lot more interesting than French and therefore easier to study for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭SarcasticFairy

In a word, yes!

Although I'm not great with languages in general! The HL paper is nearly impossible unless you're practically fluent... You really do have to be very precise to get anywhere near a high B or an A. If you have an extensive vocabularly and are good at grammar & languages, then fire ahead, otherwise I would avoid it.

What do you need it for?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

How good is your french? If you have JC French you should be able to get a pass, but if you'd be pretty much taking it up from scratch I'd go with Spanish which is much easier to learn.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Signature

If you have very good French than go for it. I know people of French, Russian, etc descent who can get an A in their respective language exams without even taking the subject!

But remember that many months of your LC year have already passed and the orals will take place in just a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

French is and isn't hard.

It's hard because I'm really lazy.
    It's not hard because it's syntax makes some sense.

Can I make a joke about surrendering now?

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭naasface

yes its quite hard but id say you'd be fine. im in hons and i think i'll do grand with a little study. there are pass people in my class and by the sounds of it pass is piss easy.
    if you've any doubts just get a grind? I say go for it! if u have it to junior cert standard with some study you'll definitely be able for it.
    Though i've heard spanish and german are easier!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

Non!

If you get grinds or just put plenty of time into it you'll be able to pass/meet university requirements no bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

Ordinary level is really easy in comparison to Higher level. It's really easy to pick up marks, and most of the phrases are versatile and can be modified to fit into any situation (postcards, message, letter, C.V. etc.) 4 reading comprehensions (2 answer in English, 2 answer in French). I dropped from Higher to Ordinary just to get by - Higher was getting a bit intense, and I was never strong at French.

Once you know simple verbs and key phrases you should be okay with the Oral exam - you can lead the conversation yourself if you don't let the examiner get a word in :p

• Advertisement
Advertisement