Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Failing Subjects

Options
  • 05-12-2008 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hey! Just wondering could anyone tell me what the deal was with failing subjects for semester 1? Anyone know how many you're "allowed" fail and what would happen if one failed all one's subjects...?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭papajimsmooth

You can fail as many as you want in first semester as long as you only have two fails going into next year, so you will have to repeat the ones at summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭rg2007

Thank God, i'm screwed for sociology, worst choice i made taking that up, dont think ill bother going to the two exams, least then i can study for economics.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Shazbot

rg2007 wrote: »
    Thank God, i'm screwed for sociology, worst choice i made taking that up, dont think ill bother going to the two exams, least then i can study for economics.

Well that would be the biggest mistake you could make. If you don't go to the exams then you will fail them and won't be able to pass by compenstation (you can only fail 1 with an E grade). No point getting an A in economic and failing 2 sociology modules. You will still fail the year.

If you attend the exam and atleast bull**** something close to the essay topic you should pass.

Don't be so rash to brush the exams off, unless you don't plan on completing your course.

Shazbot wrote: »
    Well that would be the biggest mistake you could make. If you don't go to the exams then you will fail them and won't be able to pass by compenstation (you can only fail 1 with an E grade). No point getting an A in economic and failing 2 sociology modules. You will still fail the year.

If you attend the exam and atleast bull**** something close to the essay topic you should pass.

Don't be so rash to brush the exams off, unless you don't plan on completing your course.

yeah i suppose i should, i can blab on for 2 hours quite well, and i went to most of the lectures, never got into it though, too boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

So you can get through the year with 2 fails?

How does that work?

• Advertisement

i cant, ill probably have to repeat, but i wont make the same mistake twice, and ill choose something better

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Shazbot

Mikeyt086 wrote: »

How does that work?

Re-read what I said and what's been said on countless other threads. Do they still have meetings about this every year before exams start for 1st years? You can only fail 1 by an E grade to pass by compensation. Failing 2 or 1 with an F grade then you can't pass by compensation.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,388 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Mikeyt086 wrote: »

How does that work?

Ok, you're doing 60 credits over the course of the year. If you get 50, you move into 2nd year(or next year, whichever one you're in) like normal, bar you must repeat the ones you failed to make up the 60 credits from 1 st year. If you're below that(the 50 credit mark) its into Stage X, and lets not get into what that is, cos not many people know!

Advertisement