Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavy cards are bad?

Options
  • 05-12-2008 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭

I just ordered the Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 1GB Passive, I know I wass told here it may be slightly over priced but I had my reasons for buying it and it's bought now anyway.

What I am worried about is the weight of the card due to it having allot of copper and aluminum. I noticed on Dell pcs they always seem to have a brace going across that holds the graphics card in place. My case doesn't have one of these braces and I'm wondering if the card will be ok without one? I don't want it damaging the board over time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

As long as its screwed into the case it should be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

As cian said, the bracket should give it enough support that it won't unduly strain the slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Neo#

I just put a pc together and got a 4850. It is huge but after screwing in to the case it is just about fine. It would be better to get a brace if you plan on moving the pc around a lot I would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

The PC stays put. It should be ok so.

Cheers lads.

Advertisement