Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Murray Motor Company/Audi A4 Cabriolet

Options
  • 05-12-2008 9:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Hi folks, long time lurker, first time poster here. Looking around at the moment for a cabriolet (am I a big girl's blouse?!!) and reckon this is the best time of year to buy them? Liked the look of the old Saab 9-3 but not as keen on the new one. Looking to spend about 16-18k. Saw this Audi which looks good and reasonable value http://www.carzone.ie/search/Audi/A4/1.8T-Cab/200845190791837/advert

Has anyone dealt with Murray's before? And does anyone have any views on the a4 cab? Not really much of an expert on these matters!!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

The spec is good for the cabriolet.

Nice colour, leather, cruise, dual climate control.

In these market conditions I would go in with €16k and not just for the sake of it. Be serious with your offer! :cool:

Keep telling the sales man you are a cash sale and no trade and he can make life easy on himself by making it a quick sale. Commission is commission, just keep telling him that! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 RyanAer

Thanks quirky...I was thinking of offering that kind of money but worried it would be too low! Then again, having been watching prices for a good while these cars seem to have lost about 5k-7k in value in last 3 months alone. Guess like everyone I don't want to buy something and then find it's worth much less a few months later (everyone's issue right now I know!)

Brutal at haggling but will give it a go! In fairness I have no reason to buy soon so happy to wait if necessary.

Really apppreciate your advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Tell the dealer that if he does not like your price or come to a happy medium then tell him that there is definately is a garage that WILL do a deal.

Give him your number and tell him he has one hour to come back to you. Put the offer on the table and leave and go looking at other cars someplace else.

He WILL ring you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

The arse has fallen out of the market for every car, even the once depreciation-proof A4 Cabriolet is suffering. We paid 36 k for an '04 1.8 T Multitronic during the summer before last and now I'm seeing them with feck all mileage on them dipping below 25k.

Besides leather, that particular model doesn't have as good a spec as you think. It's wheels are pretty basic, it has no heated seats, remote stereo controls or even an armrest. Also, I've noticed the lack of auto affects resale/saleability on the used market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 RyanAer

Thank VolvoMan. I didn't realise that heated seats were a common spec so thanks for that. Low spec Maybe explains why this partic car is cheaper than others on the site. Have you been happy with your purchase (depreciation aside of course which as you say seems to have gotten everyone!)? Any costly problems?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Audi/A4/CABRIOLE/200846190893543/advert

Here's an English one. It's seem high spec but remember to factor in for VRT.

Another 04 that would be bought for a bit less on a straight deal.
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Audi/A4/1.8T-163/200843190623284/advert

Another option.
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/BMW/3-Series/Ci-M-Spo/200840190256633/advert

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

RyanAer wrote: »
    Thank VolvoMan. I didn't realise that heated seats were a common spec so thanks for that. Low spec Maybe explains why this partic car is cheaper than others on the site. Have you been happy with your purchase (depreciation aside of course which as you say seems to have gotten everyone!)? Any costly problems?

Absolutely. The ride is typical Audi (very firm) and even harsher on 17" wheels but they really add to the look of the car and are worth the sacrifice in my opinion. It doesn't suffer from any of that 'scuttle shake' usually associated with convertibles either. It has a good stereo as well and a very big boot. Interior quality is absolutely top notch, you will not find better in the class. The Multitronic gearbox is a better bet than the manual as it doesn't give very much away in performance and as I pointed out they are far easier to sell.

Service intervals are variable depending on your driving and the 1.8 Turbo engine is average on fuel, nothing more. The 2.4 V6 was common on early cars (2002-03) and is similarly powered but a lot smoother. If you don't mind the road tax it isn't a bad choice.

Try and avoid garish colours like Cosmic Yellow and even non-metallic red as any of the cars I've seen for sale with that shade have been hanging around a long time and are priced accordingly. The heated seats are not essential but are very handy at this time of year and on a breezy day with the roof down.

I hope I've been of some help to you and good luck in your search.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Some good advice here - I had trouble selling my 320ci cabrio in August as no one seems to want the manual - they are thought of as mid aged womens cars it seems and they like auto boxes!

I drove an A4, C70 and 9-3 cabrios before buying our BMW so here is my opinion on the A4 compared to its rivals.

The torsional rigidity is superb - way better than the equivalent Saab or Volvo.
    The Audi feels better built than any of them.
    BMW 3 series is way better to drive but imo the Audi is better looking -

I certainly wouldn't bother with the 2.4 v6 - it doesn't sound as good as the bmw 6 pot and its no faster than the 1.8t Audi

I only ever got to drive one at motorway speeds - but did think the wind noise was louder than the 3 series too.

Oh yea - I would go for the heated seats - it makes the car much more usable - ( I got more use out of my car in January - April last year than any other time)
    Hope this is some help.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement