Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tough phone needed

• 05-12-2008 10:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭

My boss has had a 5140i since they came out and the buttons have gone to hell. There are pleanty of replacement covers out there but i think the problem is with the grid under they keypad which is damn near impossible to get. carphonewarehouse said they could get me one for 60 euro!

I thought by now that there would be a replacement for the 5140i but extensive googling hasnt come up with much in the nokia range. We have bags of 6300's I might just throw his sim into one of those and stick the phone into a krusell holder for the time being.

a final note. I see these jcb phone thingys about. You can pay as much as 300 euro for one of these on an irish site but i se on one particular english site you cant get it with a free vodafone sim for 99 pounds or twice that unlocked. If a phone is locked to vodafone UK can an irish vodafone sim be put into it without problems?

Any suggestions for a rugged phone (preferably on vodafone upgrade)!

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

you will need an unlocked phone for that. those phones are much cheaper on ebay. i havn't had a 5140 for a while but replacing the keypad might be a simple job. if you cant find the grid on ebay there are a couple of sites dedicated to nokia spares but i forgot what they are :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,252 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Any suggestions for a rugged phone (preferably on vodafone upgrade)!

Cheers

Samsung Bound http://uk.samsungmobile.com/mobile/GT-B2700 not sure if voda do it yet, 3 have it at the moment....looks a better buy than the JCB, it's got a flash light, external memory and a 2mp camera....the JCB hasn't much in comparison....

Samsung Bound http://uk.samsungmobile.com/mobile/GT-B2700 not sure if voda do it yet, 3 have it at the moment....looks a better buy than the JCB, it's got a flash light, external memory and a 2mp camera....the JCB hasn't much in comparison....

they call that a rugged phone now? the ruggedness of rugged phones is going down by the minute

Remember the Ericsson R190/R290? or even the 5210? those were *real* rugged phones.

towel401 wrote: »
    they call that a rugged phone now? the ruggedness of rugged phones is going down by the minute

Remember the Ericsson R190/R290? or even the 5210? those were *real* rugged phones.

the samsung bound looks good for a rugged phone, seems a pretty decent spec....I think Sony and Nokia are afraid to make rugged phones any more, it wouldn't help their bottom line...:)

Not a fan of the JCB or the Samung Solid, lookin forward to trying out the bound but I can't see me swapping from my e71, now that's a solid phone...

the samsung bound looks good for a rugged phone, seems a pretty decent spec....I think Sony and Nokia are afraid to make rugged phones any more, it wouldn't help their bottom line...:)

Not a fan of the JCB or the Samung Solid, lookin forward to trying out the bound but I can't see me swapping from my e71, now that's a solid phone...

probably, ****ing throwaway society. soon they will start soldering in batteries as well.

• Advertisement

towel401 wrote: »
    probably, ****ing throwaway society. soon they will start soldering in batteries as well.

You mean like apple....:D

You mean like apple....:D

yesh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Can't find that phone on three.ie or three.co.uk. Any idea where it can be got?

Can't find that phone on three.ie or three.co.uk. Any idea where it can be got?

As far as I know it's out next week, it's in the latest 3 store magazines...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Twired

the sony k800i is a tough motha****a I fell of a moving car with my one in my hand and landed on it and it still works 6 months l8r a friend dropped his into a cup of tea and it works fine
    and I heard of one being dropped in a water tank and it was grand
    tuff as fuk sir !

• Advertisement

Twired wrote: »
    the sony k800i is a tough motha****a !

+1

I've seen someone drive over one, nothing a bit of super glue couldn't fix:)

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Damomayo

Old phone now got it on 087 years ago but Samsung SGH-ZV10 is very tough phone kids always dropping it .......... i even left it in my pocket for a full wash @ 40 degrees (looks like new now lol) and still works perfect ..... Didn't think it would

Advertisement