Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

graphics card for vostro

Options
  • 05-12-2008 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭

my brother has a vostro 200 desktop and wants to get a decent graphics card. can anyone advise on what he can get that will be compatable and play games COD etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Ati 4670 for €75 would be fine.

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/1637126/art/sapphire-technology/radeon-hd-4670-512-mb-gdd.html

My choice would be the 4830, its only €100 and can play everything perfectly.

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/1773190/art/sapphire-technology/radeon-hd-4830-512-mb-ddr.html

pricing.jpg

cod4-1920.gif

As you can see the 4830 is worth the extra few euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Looking for something reasonable myself.

Any opinions on these two?

They seem very reasonable, but what could they handle game wise?

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

4550 is a little weak for modern games, its fine for older ones, the new ones need minimum 9500gt/4650 imo.

4670 is a fine card for weaker power supplies and htpc's, but if you have a decent spec pc and psu go with the much powerful 4830.Its only €20 more and can keep up with the big boys.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭ShaunC

thanks for that sqaull i shall inform the little bro.
    bet he will ask me to get it for him and install it as well

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

check the card dimensions, the V 200 is a tight kitten

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Do you have any newer updates on the same topic? I am about to get new display and need a graphic card with digital output. Therefore I am looking for something that fits into the Vostro 200 case.
    Not for gaming, mostly picture editing. Even second hand could be considered, but I don't know what to look for on adverts.

Thank you in advance for any recommendations.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

What kind of digital output? DVI? HDMI?

If you're not using it for any gaming I'd imagine even a slimline Vostro wouldn't choke on a low-profile HD4350. And they're cheap as chips too :)

Solitaire wrote: »
    What kind of digital output? DVI? HDMI?

I don't know yet what display to buy. But I hope for some LED one. There are more digital cables possible for displays? You scare me! :eek:

LED? You mean OLED? Those are display types, not types of connector :confused:

I didn't mean Organic LED (=OLED), just LED monitor. However I have to admit that I don't follow PC hardware and software, because it is boring and I have more important things to follow. The question in the air is DVI or HDMI output from the graphic card. And as far as my limited knowledge says, the output should match the input of the display. And the display type will be the one using LED screen technology. Just in case that somebody has better knowledge of both groups of products, graphic cards and displays :)
    No worries, I don't know what to look for, therefore I am asking here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

ThOnda wrote: »
    However I have to admit that I don't follow PC hardware and software, because it is boring and I have more important things to follow.

gtfo!!!!!

Now that was constructive, informative and valuable post :pac:

One thing I can always rely on is the help and support from Boards.ie community.

Either DVI or HDMI is fine; the big bonus HDMI provides is that if the monitor has speakers that are actually worth using (as opposed to being just godawful :P) you can send digital sound to them over the HDMI cable. In any case a HD4350 provides both options, so no hassle there. Of course, you could even power a 1080p screen off a VGA port if need be; the HD4350 is just a nice "optional extra" ;)

Thanks for the information and explanation.
    I was buying computer components so long ago, that I had to be careful what bus is on the MLB. Therefore I don't have a slightest idea. My last computers were bought built and sold in the original state.
    It looks that any single slot card that is not too tall should fit in. Good.

Now to choose some display.

Thank you all (and I mean all) for your responses.

Advertisement