Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who makes the best chocolate?

• 05-12-2008 11:30pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Who do you think makes the best chocolate? Cadburys, Nestle, Mars, (shudder) Hersheys, Lindt, Kinder, other? The way I judge is by who makes the tastiest Easter eggs. I'd have to go with Mars (Galaxy etc). Lindt is lovely, but too heavy to eat much off. Mars make such wonderful things are Malteasers and Galaxy Caramel. I'd also choose Celebrations over Roses, Quality Street, Milk Tray, etc.

Who makes the best chocolate? 84 votes

Cadbury's
    0%
    Nestle
    38%
    samhailbytewinteardouglasmangeeceeMimikyuc - 13shortys94JPAemeraldstarArcheronsmasheyGrid.Monkey61Gavin "shels"Green Giantrobby^5View ProfilePodge2k7Acacia 32 votes
    Mars
    4%
    franmannumacdKevstersiochain 4 votes
    Hersheys
    14%
    BlistermanFaithwhiskeymanLirangeXavi6Peyton Mannings_carnagerainbowtroutPigwidgeondeleriumtremensWhipping BoyBaybay 12 votes
    Lindt
    2%
    kernoflutegirl 2 votes
    Kinder
    35%
    eclectichoneyRuu_OldDrag00n79parasite[Deleted User]roboCathyMoranKnifeWRENCH11811spuriousstarnAmalgamPrincess Consuela BananahammockChakarthemadchefadmiralofthefleetfonpoknonorrisEileenGXxlauraxX 30 votes
    Other
    4%
    HugglesJimboCkalLomu 4 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭XxlauraxX

Kinder
    I love those Lindt truffel things :pac: For every day eating tho it would be Mars aswell!

Laura

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators Posts: 51,860 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Kinder
    Would have to go with lindt, especially after trying the chilli chocolate.:D

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭starn

Kinder
    Lindt all the way, Kinder is quite nice followed by Caburys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Kinder
    Lindt is tasty, I get the hazelnut and also wafer chocolate bars. They last me forever though, find them very sweet. Cadburys a second place, but well behind. Hersheys is vomit in bar form. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Kinder
    koth wrote: »

That packaging gives your ears a right tingle seeing it the first time, tastes great, wish it was a tad stronger. The Mint is really nice, in that product range. Lindt also have a Pistachio bar in the lumpy, cream filled versions, love that too.

A pity Leonidas isn't on that list, or Butler's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

Find that Lindt stuff crap. Like handmade high quality Belgian and Italian milk cocolate truffle, pralines etc. In Ireland Butlers an LiR are nice, rarely if ever eat cadburys or mars type stuff, cheap and nasty. I eat Gold and Blacks milk choclate which is very nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭1966

Love anything by Lily O'Briens
    uuuuuummmmm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Baybay

Hersheys
    I don't eat much chocolate but I do like any of the Galaxy bars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Nestle
    No Butler's? :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I think some countries have definitions of what chocolate is, and many of those brands could not be called chocolate, due to not having enough cocoa. I like Leonidas best

http://www.xocoatl.org/flavor.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭cozmik

Have a look at the link below for some of the world's best chocolate.

http://www.seventypercent.com/chocop/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭11811

Kinder
    Lindt is definitely the best outta this bunch.
    why even put Hersheys in there? I hardly call it chocolate...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Kinder
    If I'm judging just by the quality of the actual choclate (i.e. not taking into account stuff like caramel, nougat or Maltesers) then Lindt has to be the nicest.
    Cadburys second, then Mars, Nestle, Hersheys and Kinder last.

I love Swiss choclate - the chocolate on Toblerones is delicious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

after having the lindt dark chili chocolate i have to say lindt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Poulain are my favourite at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭Ckal

Other
    Kinder. There is nothing better than a box of Kinder Bars with a glass of milk.

Having said that, I'm a Hershey-Whore. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Kinder
    Milka have brought out a lovely watermelon-based chocolate here recently. There was a brand I had as a kid that began with an S that was devine, Can't remember what it was called - think it was Swiss.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

Nestle
    Hershey's is horrible. Cadbury's ftw!:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

after having the lindt dark chili chocolate i have to say lindt.

Where can this be got?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭cmcsoft

Not a huge fan of rich chocolate but I love cadbury's golden crisp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭deise gal

Did any of you guys ever taste Tesco Finest Chocolate yumyum

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭MattKane

Nestle
    Cadburys. It's great in Ireland, but somehow even better in New Zealand. Something to do with the milk apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

Mars
    You left-out Kraft (They make Toblerones)... ...:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

Curly Wurly. Like a bird with a worm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,902 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Hersheys
    Mars because of Galaxy.

Cadbury a distant second though Nestle scores well for its white chocolate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

Nestle
    Cadburys or Kinder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭noel farrell

Nestle
    cadburys i have developed a taste for it over time i know it wouldent pass for chocolate in other countrys not enough coco too much dairy milk :D

cadburys i have developed a taste for it over time i know it wouldent pass for chocolate in other countrys not enough coco too much dairy milk :D

It also has vegtable fat in it which is another chocolate no-no. :)
    In the United States, confections cannot be labeled as chocolate if they contain vegetable fats. When vegetable fats are present the item must be labeled as chocolate flavored candy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vegelate

Real chocolate should only have at most five ingredients: cocoa mass (aka chocolate liquor), sugar, cocoa butter, vanilla and an emulsifier (usually soy lecithin).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

Cadburys is all veggie fat and other yukkie shyte,

lindt is superior and they have cool chilli flavours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

Kinder
    Lindt is a delicious chocolate, especially the truffles. Is the brand Lindt or Lindor or what? That always confuses me.

Guylian is another favourite for truffles. They do those praline seashells, which aren't very pleasant, but their truffles are absolutely scrumptious and so far as I know, only available from foreign airports :mad:

After the two above, I'd have to pick the makers of those little chocolate disks you get in tubes from Jamin in Holland. Not making the annual trip to Amsterdam in 2009 so will have to go without :(

Oh, and normally don't like Butler's, but a good friend gave me a box of their organic chocolates and they were so so lovely.

Man, I love this time of year...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

Kinder
    Lindt make the best chocolate in my humble opinion.

But, cadburys is the everyday choc if you know what i mean. Hate Nestle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 302 ✭✭tannytantans

Nestle
    Definitely Cadburys (only the irish cadburys though...)Next would be Hersheys - I LOVE Milk dudds and Cookie and Cream bars :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,031 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Côte d'Or
    I used to live off the stuff when in Belgium. Absolutely gorgeous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭lovemypinkhat

Thornton's...although I am biased seeing as I work there :P When I haven't stocked up on enough from work, Cadburys or Nestle will do but I try not to, because I end up eating so much more because there's less cocoa in them etc. So Thornton's ftw, or any luxury chocolate really :) Butler's: drool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭kerno

Lindt
    Hersheys..Tasted everything they have in america.. :D

Wonder why butlers aint there..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Can't believe nobody has mentioned Green & Blacks yet. For me it's either that or Lindt. Lindt I find to be sweeter but G&B's is richer.

Actually, Green & Blacks!

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭kerno

Lindt
    Sleipnir wrote: »
    Can't believe nobody has mentioned Green & Blacks yet. For me it's either that or Lindt. Lindt I find to be sweeter but G&B's is richer.

Actually, Green & Blacks!
    Whats Green and Blacks i have never heard of it! Is it irish?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

kerno wrote: »
    Whats Green and Blacks i have never heard of it! Is it irish?

No it's not Irish but if you like your chocolate you should certainly try it.

http://www.greenandblacks.com/uk/home.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

nyom! Hersheys is awesome, went into there store when was over in NY , it was the reason my bag was overweight coming home! :) there "hugs" little chocolate are by far my favourite..

everyday chocolate here, then cadburys win hands down, not a huge fan of Nestle (maybe cause i over-indulged in it before and it made me sick ! :P)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Wexford Girl

Have to say Lily O Brien's. Hershey's is also nice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

Nestle
    koth wrote: »

chilli chocolate was a nice extra alright. unusual.
    but for down right pure pleasure cant beat a nice pure cadburys chocolate

:eek: i have yet to try the chilli chocolate! i knew there was something i was to do!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

Nestle
    you mena its not on your top 50 things to do before you die yet !
    I already tasted it but i put it back on ! just cos its so unusual :)

hmm , im going to try said chocolate soon i promise! :) better be nice;):P

I like Valrhona.

Advertisement