Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GTAIV - PC - Multiplayer

Options
  • 06-12-2008 12:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭

Right, I know theres a number of threads about this game going but I want to talk about multiplayer here specifically.

I'll give a little back story so as people can see where I'm coming from, and hell maybe there'll be others who think like me.

I'm a PC gamer. Over the years, like many, I've really enjoyed the GTA games. But also, over the years, I've become more and more of a multiplayer gamer 1st, and a single player gamer 2nd.

That and along with the GTA format getting stale and repetitive (for me) as stopped GTA from being that "Holy fcking **** best game ever bla bla etc etc" that it is for many console gamers at least.

This happened to me before San Andreas was released. Because before that, I stumbled apon a multiplayer mod for GTA vice city called MTA.

It was buggy as hell, but I fkin loved it. It was GTA online, a city full of real players getting in car chases and shoot outs. Making gangs on the fly and so forth. It was great. I played it for about 2 years.

All I could think of was how amazing it would be if it was done properly , with actually peds and traffic and cops driving around too, along with being online. I was hoping GTAIV (PC version) would be the answer to this.

I know the console online wasnt as good as it should have been, but I was sure it could easily be done right on the PC.

My only reason for wanting to buy this game is for the multiplayer. So I gotta ask, since all the current talk is really about the single player and how bad of a conversion the game is. WHAT ABOUT THE MULTIPLAYER???

Is it what I've been waiting for?

Is it worth going through all this ****e like signing into multiple bull**** accounts just to even play online?

I'm only thinking of buying this for online, will I be wasting my time and money? Anyone else out there think like me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Ruffty^

Yes I agree. Although I am also a fan of the sp from all the last gta pc games.
    For me, the stand out thing about gtaIV was the multiplayer. When I heard the pc was going up to 32 players I was even more excited.

Like you Cunny-Funt I spent time with MTA and other multiplayer mods for vice and SA, however as you say, they were bugged like crazy. I too dream of a gta city full of real players, and 32 would have been a great start. I'm sure, even if gtaIV came with crap game modes as long as the basic gameplay worked, modders would have great fun with it, possibly even kill the 32player cap.
    I was all excited about this game, and then they released it, massive disappointment, I can only imagine how people that bought the game feel. :(

3(+1) things are really putting me off;
    1. System requirements. Many people are of the opinion this is because the game is a badly un-optimised port. I don't know myself.
    2. Plenty of bugs and game crippling errors.
    3. All the DRM security and registration bs needed to use a game legally bought and payed for.
    (4). This point on its own would not stop me from buying the game. However, is it true that an "auto-aim" option is in the pc multiplayer? I read you can filter for servers that have it on/off, but to have "auto-aim" on the pc is retarded, and this great idea of having a filter will only serve to splinter the community. All for the sake of the people that want to use controllers on the pc.

Explained;
    1. I have read many user reviews of unacceptable fps lag. For example, my spec; Quad Q6600 2.4GHz, GeForce 8800GTS 320MB, 500GB S300 16MB 7200RPM, 2gigs ram (planning on adding 2 more). My understanding is this beats a ps3 and xbox on paper. Yet from many different reviews I have read I will barely be able to match console graphics levels, and if I do, I will have terrible fps of 20-40. Pcs better than mine still struggle to match/surpass the graphical detail found ingame on xbox and ps3 with 50+fps. Imo this lends to the arguments of a terrible un-optimised port.
    It is possible patching may improve performance, but for myself, I would not be happy to buy the game unless I could match/surpass xbox and ps3 performance with a stable 60fps. Is that unrealistic?

2. There seems to be a mountain of bugs and errors, now there is no reason why patching cannot eliminate these. It is very frustrating the game was released in such an unready state however, and will be hurting R*s rep badly.

3. Well, I guess you have to live with the DRM security crap. From many reviews I see angry people saying they will turn to piracy. Others actually say they will purchase the game and leave it in it's box and packaging while they play a pirated version that has removed the malicious software in the DRM security.

Then there are the steps to play multiplayer, it seems absolutely farcical. Have a look at this here 25 steps to complete a simple online multiplayer game?

Feel free to correct/comment on anything in this post.
    I would be very pleased if someone came on here and said any of the 3 points putting me off getting the game are exaggerated and/or incorrect! Doubt it though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

Well 32 players is fine. I was talking about being able to play in a city that has AI peds and traffic + cops, unlike the MP gta mods of before.

Is anyone else just buying this for the MP?

Has anyone played MP on the PC yet to give me an idea of how good it is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I'd love a GTA multiplayer that was more like a MMORPG

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Ruffty^

Yeah, if the game works, even though R* didn't bother, you should look out for mods. I played a bit of a gtaSA multiplayer mod a while back, with things like;
    -different jobs to choose (e.g. taxi, ice cream, cop, etc.)
    -this earned money, you could buy property with
    I think I'm right in saying all this was loaded when you joined.

Can anyone tell me what the MP is like for the pc version?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

finally got it working.

the MP version is quite good, hell of a laugh. recommended if your able to handle the requirements

Yeah I had a quick shot of the MP in my mates house. Seems like it 'could' be good BUT...

The frame rate on his computer was ****ing disgusting. Plus the game looked awful. It was on low-medium settings and it was meant to be night time or something . But instead it just looked black and white.

My mates PC is pretty damn good too and around the same specs as mine, hence the disgust.

His:

(Q6700 - 8800GTX Ultra - 2gb )

Mine:

(Q6600 - 9800GTX - 2gb )

A game that looks as bad as GTA4 should not run like that. Its a disgrace.

One other thing that has me worried was that the MP seemed kinda buggy. Peoples cars were flicking all over the place. Even the mods did better then that?

And don't get me ****ing started on the menu system. MP option should be in the main menu. And when you press ESC you should see =

Resume
    Options
    Extras
    Exit to menu
    Exit to windows

in the centre of the screen. Not endless screens of different menus which to get to you must click tiny buttons at the top left of the screen then move mouse all the way down to the bottom right. I mean wtf....

Advertisement