Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

verso petrol or diesel

Options
  • 06-12-2008 12:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭

guys quick question

salesman says my wife better off with the new 1.6 petrol corolla verso as against a new corolla verso 2.2 diesel.

1)he says the mpg difference is not that much (petrol 37.5 diesel 42.5)

2)the 1.6 petrol model sells loads

3)the 1.6 is "grand"

on our sums the diesel is not that more expensive over the life of the car.

he will get more money from us for the diesel!!

SO why is he saying this.

any advice greatly appreciated

shovel

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

shovel wrote: »

Because he works in 'sales' :o

3)the 1.6 is "grand"
    :D

Whats the tax v tax on both cars ? could be stock he' s trying desperately to shift ( i.e. 1.6 Petrol) due to nex tax regime

• Registered Users Posts: 51,248 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Because he probably has lots of 1.6 litre models in stock and no diesel models available. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭shovel

Thanks for the replies

Road tax for 1.6 petrol= 600 euro

Road tax for 2.2 diesel=430 euro

But the diesel to buy is 1500 euro dearer

Maybe it is just to get rid of the petrol models because of the tax changes.

But still, i would have thought that they would be pushing the dearer car so as to up their profit percentage.

Shovel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭skyhighflyer

Because the diesel will fly off the forecourt while the 1.6 sits there.

The 2.2 diesel will be much better suited to a relatively heavy car like the Verso.

The €1500 difference will be more than compensated for when you go to trade it in.

Like most dealers, he's probably trying to get rid of the last of the 'Paddy-spec' underpowered 1.6 litre machines while he can.

Not necessarily saying the 1.6 would be a bad buy, but you'd want to be getting a seriously good deal (much better than €1500 less) to take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

There were very few Verso diesels sold in this country over the years. The majority were the 1.6 manual petrols.

I think right now the 1.6 Luna has a pretty good spec as the car is due to be replaced sometime in Q2 2009.

We got a 2.0 diesel Sol. It pulls along great when its full. It misses the 6th gear on the motorways, which the newer 2.2 diesel gets, but the cruise control system is really easy to use. The extra mpg makes a difference aswell on the diesel Verso as the tank is only 53 litres, making the range a little less.

Go for the diesel if you can afford it. If you can wait a few months, get the new model. If you are buying without a trade in, you'll get a really good deal up North now on a 08 model with a bit of miles on it. Go for the T-Spirit spec.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

guys quick question

salesman says my wife better off with the new 1.6 petrol corolla verso as against a new corolla verso 2.2 diesel.

Don't belive everything you read! Unless you're getting a massive discount off the petrol model then no you wouldn't be better off. Diesels always sell for much more used, so you'll pay €1500 more now, but you'll get most of that back when you want to sell it on.
    1)he says the mpg difference is not that much (petrol 37.5 diesel 42.5)

The diesel actually does 44.1 mpg. But the Verso is piss poor at mpg and CO2 compared to its rivals. Having said that the 2.2 is quite powerful at 135 bhp.
    2)the 1.6 petrol model sells loads

It did before the July VRT changes. The 2.2 was several grand more and on top of that would have been more than €800 to tax(as it is 2231 cc).
    3)the 1.6 is "grand"

on our sums the diesel is not that more expensive over the life of the car.

he will get more money from us for the diesel!!

if he has plenty of 1.6s then his garage are going to be mad to get rid of them because most people want diesel these days. Especially as the 1.6 is €630 to tax and the 2.2 D-4D is €448.

See above. While normally the Toyota badge acts like some sort of HUGE magnet and loads of people plump for something because it says Toyota on the bonnet, the Verso has actually proven to be a very poor seller. The Opel Zafira and Renault Secnic have this car segment sewn up. Hardly surprising as the Renault invented this type of car, and Opel revolutionised it 2 years later with the 7 seats.

And there is a new Verso coming out next year as well, based on the Auris. So he'll be wanting to get rid of the last of those cars for that reason too.
    any advice greatly appreciated

shovel

If you've your heart set on a Verso then it just has to be diesel, lower tax, less depreciation, but most importantly a LOT more power and torque, so that engine will be miles quicker, especially when fully laden.

However I would strongly advise you to go for something else.

The Verso is expensive and poor on CO2. The basic Aura model lacks curtain airbags, so if you go for this model you will not be getting a 5 star NCAP car(it got 5 stars because the Verso they tested had curtain airbags as standard) and therefore is obviously less safe than the more expensive models and its competitors obviously too. It also lacks traction control and ESP too.

The 2.2 D-4D Luna is €32,940(I have ignored the basic Aura model because I just simply cannot tell someone to buy a car designed for families that doesn't have curtain airbags).

The Renault Grand Scenic 1.5 dCi Dynamique has a little bit more in the way of equipement, but is only €156 on the road tax, does 54.3 mpg as opposed to 44.1 mpg(or 10.2 mpg more) and costs €30,390. The biggest drawbacks over the Toyota that I can see is the fact it has only 106 rather than the 135 bhp of the Toyota, and of course Renault's reputation for durability as well as the dealers.

If you're worried about the reliability of a Renault and are thinking about the Toyota on reliability grounds, then the Zafira is the ideal car for you, and I think it is miles ahead of any other MPV out there.

The 1.7 CDTi Club is also €156 on the road tax like the Renault, but being a larger engine it has more power, at 125 bhp, so in fact it is not far off the Verso diesel on power, but clearly has superior running costs.

Its engine is from Isuzu, (ironically Toyota part owns this company and believe it or not are actually getting them to design a new diesel to go into European Toyotas(either a 1.6 or a 1.8)), so you'll get Japanese reliability from this engine as standard too. And the 1.7 CDTi Club will come with most of the essentials for €29,225. If it's too sparse then the Design model comes in at €31,740. Tbh this is probably the fairest comparison against the Verso diesel Luna.

I'd be going for this car if I were you. You *really* need to test drive the award winning Opel and check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

^^^
    Most informative post Ive read in ages!!

If you want my tuppence worth, go for the renault, the road noise in the verso and the zafira is terrible.

Apart from that diesel FTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

pred racer wrote: »
    ^^^
    the road noise in the verso is terrible.

I disagree....

The only advantage I can see the Zafira has over the Verso is the boot size.

We've owned the diesel Verso for 2yrs and I have driven plenty Zafiras on holidays as hire cars, so I can compare the 2 well.

The Verso is extremely comfortable for long journeys as is the Zaffy, but I find everything in the Verso is in its proper place.

Where it loses out is the boot. Its too small and the toneau cover is in a stupid place and cant be left in situ

Lads

Thanks for all the replies.

My other half has had 4 toyotas already so is keen to get another one.

She is thinking of the luna model with 09 spec (privacy glass, climate control etc)

Got her to drive a quaschai and a s-max.she did not like either.

Did not get a chance to drive a zafira.

The hire car she has at the moment is a 08 corsa.

The ventilation fan keeps going on and off.the outside passenger door handle keeps sticking.she is not impressed with it.

LEX.is the zafira as big as a s-max?.she said the s-max was too big. save me another day out if it was.

thanks again for the replies.

shovel

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Have a quick look at a Citroën C4 Picasso 1.6 HDI before you commit. Nice car plus the added bonus of a €1,000 fuel voucher. 2009 EGS model is an Airdream model (band B - €156 road tax).

• Advertisement

Lads. After all that my other half went for a diesel verso.

Very happy to get sorted.

Thanks again for all the help.

Shovel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭bostoncommon

Lads. After all that my other half went for a diesel verso.

Very happy to get sorted.

Thanks again for all the help.

Shovel

Phew.

Thank god you didnt buy the Zafira or one of those French Junkers.

You better half was right.

She ALWAYS is!!

Advertisement