Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Dinner !

• 06-12-2008 12:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭

What do you eat for christmas dinner?

Turkey, goose ... etc.:)

Laura

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

turkey and tonnes of stuffing, roast potatoes - the 3 main things for christmas dinner

oh did i mention stuffing :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭XxlauraxX

Saibh wrote: »
    turkey and tonnes of stuffing, roast potatoes - the 3 main things for christmas dinner

oh did i mention stuffing :P

+1 i love sausage stuffing ! :pac::pac::pac:

Usually we have turkey,ham,sausage stuffing,sage & onion stuffing,sprouts(bleugh:(),peas,carrots,potatoes ... there are many more but i can't remember !:) will add them later !

Laura

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I bake a whole ham the day before. On Christmas day I roast a marinated loin of pork because my family don't like turkey. We have these with potatoes roasted in goose or duck fat, creamy mash, sprouts with wholegrain mustard and bits of ham through them, carrots tossed in sauteed onions and butter, and stuffing. Gravy and white sauce for anyone who wants them. Oh and apple sauce too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭jaffa20

I bake a whole ham the day before. On Christmas day I roast a marinated loin of pork because my family don't like turkey. We have these with potatoes roasted in goose or duck fat, creamy mash, sprouts with wholegrain mustard and bits of ham through them, carrots tossed in sauteed onions and butter, and stuffing. Gravy and white sauce for anyone who wants them. Oh and apple sauce too :)

Yum yum.

Now that sounds nicer than a bland dry turkey for dinner.

extra space for one?:D:D

That is a good idea with the loin of pork because not too many in my family like turkey either
    I love roast potatoes in goose/duck fat !!:pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Come on over Laura, one more won't make a difference :)
    I marinate the pork in olive oil, garlic, lemon juice and rosemary and it doesn't dry out on the inside.
    I usually make a huge pavlova for dessert too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭SeekUp

Turkey (and gravy), ham, roast beef (and gravy), ribs, mashed potatoes, stuffing, green beans, macaroni and cheese, corn, sweet potatoes, potato salad, fruit cocktail, rolls, punch, chocolate cake, banana coconut cake.

All prepared by an 83 year old woman.

Some of it really doesn't make much sense, but still -- it's kind of fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

I've wanted to try a ballotine for a few years now and this year I have no-one talking me out of it. Not sure if it will be turkey or goose - more likely turkey unless I can get a goose at a reasonable rate. Basically the bird is deboned, the meat and skin laid out and a stuffing placed in the middle - then rolled up like a log, tied and roasted. Easy to carve and pretty on the plate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭cmcsoft

Turkey, Mash, loads of Stuffing, Carrots and Gravy.....lovely

Minder wrote: »
    I've wanted to try a ballotine for a few years now and this year I have no-one talking me out of it. Not sure if it will be turkey or goose - more likely turkey unless I can get a goose at a reasonable rate. Basically the bird is deboned, the meat and skin laid out and a stuffing placed in the middle - then rolled up like a log, tied and roasted. Easy to carve and pretty on the plate.

Did that last year with the turkey legs and it was divine!:pac::pac:
    I want Christmas now :mad:

Laura

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

we were in brisbane 2 years ago for xmas. it was about 20deg c i think.
    we had a nice juicy steak and lamb cutlets done on the barby and spuds if i remember correctly.

dont think we will be out this year !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

XxlauraxX wrote: »
    Did that last year with the turkey legs and it was divine!:pac::pac:
    I want Christmas now :mad:

Laura

What did you stuff the legs with?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

The ham is boiled the night before, my mam and dad have turkey, I have a chicken breast as I can't stand turkey and then we have mashed potatoes, roast potatoes, carrots & parsnips mashed together, peas, stuffing, brussel sprouts, cocktail sausages (so nice when baked!) all preceded by smoked salmon and followed by christmas pudding for my dad, mince pies for my mam and usually chocolate for me!

Then Christmas night it's lots of party food like cocktail sausages, vol au vents, turkey and ham sandwiches with my birthday cake!

Well since all of our Christmas Day meats are pig products and we don't know when they'll be available again, or how expensive they'll be due to demand, I may be using Plan B - the huge leg of lamb that's in my freezer :D

Minder wrote: »
    What did you stuff the legs with?

Sage & Onion stuffing (homemade) !:pac: :D

Ok Dizzyblonde I'm coming to yours for Chirtmas!

not too much stuffing!

Laura

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

we usually have capon but couldn't find one for love nor money last year, so we had goose which was phenomenal. stuffing is homemade liver, sage and chestnuts, and then obviously the potatoes cooked in the goose fat, carrots, and brussel sprouts. mmm god it was good

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭MattKane

Turkey and ham with cranberry sauce and all the other extras like cocktail sausages and brussel sprouts. To be enjoyed with a Pinot Noir.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

Being a product of mixed cultures we get two Christmas dinners.

Christmas Eve for the Danish side we start with rice porridge which is served with butter, cinnamon, sugar and Christmas beer.

Then we'll probably have roast pheasant with pear and pancetta. Sides to this will be potatoes of some sort, red cabbage and probably carrots.

No dessert but plenty of chocolate and what not floating around.

Christmas Day for our Irish celebrations we start with oak smoked salmon from some guys in the Aran islands, then the usual turkey and ham (which we cook the day before), plus the usual brussel sprouts, potatoes etc etc etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

Here's the plan:

Smoked salmon and brown bread

Goose and stuffing
    gravy
    apple sauce
    ham (if available)
    chipolata sausages
    mashed potatoes
    roast potatoes in the goose fat
    Red cabbage (braised)
    carrots
    sprouts
    vegetarian option (still thinking about this but last year we had a butternut squash pie in filo with a yoghurty raita sauce from Dennis Cotter's cookbook, which worked well with the spuds, veg etc)

pudding
    homemade ice cream

cheese
    crackers
    chutney

Irish coffee and chocolates if anyone's still standing.

Followed by 2 hours of dozing through Casablanca

Advertisement