Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

basement insulation

Options
  • 06-12-2008 12:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

I just got my basement ceiling insulated. The basement is not in use and the main house is very cold. The company that did it used a product that looks like aeroboard but grey in colour and about 5-6 inches thick. They placed this under the floorboards (which is the ceiling of the basement) and fitted some damp-proof membrane beneath it to keep moisture out of the house. I just realised that there is a gap between the floorboards and the insulation of about 3-4 inches and I think it should actually be flush with the boards to be effective. Could anyone shed some light on this for me please? Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Insulation thickness will depend on u-value. Check manufacturers IAB Cert for details. What was used as a damp proof membrane? IMO a vapour barrier should be on the Warm side of the insulation, to prevent condensation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 dixiechick

Thanks RKQ. Not sure what membrane was used. My main concern is that there is a gap of 3-4 inches between the insulation and the floorboards. Surely that means that those 3-4 inches are going to be filled with cold air and the house will still be cold. Should the insulation not be right up against the floorboards(basement ceiling)?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

dixiechick wrote: »
    My main concern is that there is a gap of 3-4 inches between the insulation and the floorboards. Surely that means that those 3-4 inches are going to be filled with cold air and the house will still be cold. Should the insulation not be right up against the floorboards(basement ceiling)?

Check with the manufacturer. The air above the insulation is warm. The air below the insulation is cold (basement)

Advertisement