Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

360 superior res to PS3???

• 06-12-2008 2:51am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭

Hi there

I've had a 360 for the past year and a half and apart from the noise and the occasional crash, I've no complaints. The graphis are deadly, the menu system easy to use (esp the new one) and the games cheap depending where you get them.

Here's the boggle:

The ast few games I've bought are available on the PS3 also. My bro has a PS3 and we happened to have the same game. The graphics looked identical.

Here's the catch:

The box for the PS3 game stated 720p. Mine stated 720p/1080i/1080p.

Is this a repeat of the Halo 3 debacle, i.e. the resolutions stated on the Xbox boxes are actually the maximum upscaled image availalbe. The PS3 doesn't upscale games past their native res (I know cos the telly displays a 720p icon whenever a game boots up on the PS3, even though the telly's FullHD and the PS3's set to 1080p output---I believe this was a conscious decision by Sony)

I bet all the Xbox games are natively 720p (or less, ... Halo 3...) and the Xbox upscales. What a lie. What if the Blu-ray boxes stated on the back that everything was 1080p, even if they were natively 480p??? (i.e. supplementary docs). This would be classed as misrepresentation.

Anyways the console rocks and the games are great. Just cleared GOW2 and the visulas were great. But if it was 1080p as stated on the box, I wouldn't have seen the "jaggys" on the game, it would have used up every pixel.

Any ideas anyone?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

The ast few games I've bought are available on the PS3 also. My bro has a PS3 and we happened to have the same game. The graphics looked identical.

Ok Firstly and very importantly whats the game?
    also Both of your televisions are Full 1080p televisions?
    ie. when you're on the Xbox 360 dashboards the tv is displaying at 1080p and the same for your bro on the PSN cross media bar thing.
    The box for the PS3 game stated 720p. Mine stated 720p/1080i/1080p.

Secondly yes that can happen that the developer could choose to full develop 1080p (nativly or upscaling) for one console and not the other.
    Is this a repeat of the Halo 3 debacle, i.e. the resolutions stated on the Xbox boxes are actually the maximum upscaled image availalbe. The PS3 doesn't upscale games past their native res (I know cos the telly displays a 720p icon whenever a game boots up on the PS3, even though the telly's FullHD and the PS3's set to 1080p output---I believe this was a conscious decision by Sony

I bet all the Xbox games are natively 720p (or less, ... Halo 3...) and the Xbox upscales. What a lie. What if the Blu-ray boxes stated on the back that everything was 1080p, even if they were natively 480p??? (i.e. supplementary docs). This would be classed as misrepresentation.

Speculation to be honest. And some untruths.
    In the case of Halo I believe the developers (bungie) only made textures up to 720p but did create a position whereby you can upscale it (it's more of a game option than a Console option)
    I not sure if I'm explaining it fully correctly, but I'm afraid you don't have a firm grasp on the differences in the resolutions and what exactly is being upscaled where

Anyways the console rocks and the games are great. Just cleared GOW2 and the visulas were great. But if it was 1080p as stated on the box, I wouldn't have seen the "jaggys" on the game, it would have used up every pixel.

I'm pretty sure you are right on this, Gears of War upscales, but that's not nescessarily true about the jaggys either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

The PS3 doesn't upscale games past their native res

The PS3 will upscale some games depending on the developer but only if you disable 720p in the options.

Also, some games like MGS4, Bioshock, GTAIV, GT5 prologue and other aren't rendered in their resolutions on the back of the box. Same as the Halo 3/PGR debacle.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,796 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Practically every new game out at the moment displays in a lower resolution that 720P and then upscales to 720P. This happens on both the PS3 and the 360. In fact from the eurogamer comparison articles the PS3 comes off worse in multiplatform games either losing some detail in scenes and displaying at a lower resolution than the 360 and upscaling.

Compared to PC's the PS3 and 360 are woefully underpowered and to get graphical detail close to waht the PC can achieve they have to lower their resolution to below 720P and upscale.

Advertisement