Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pink floyd

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭joeperry

i have tickets to aussie pink floyd, has anybody seen them? How are they?

I've just booked 2 tickets cheers for the heads up,i've wanted to see these guys for ages .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Alanthroneus

Awesome... im looking forward to it now... I hear they are playing the wall in it entirety....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

Awesome... im looking forward to it now... I hear they are playing the wall in it entirety....

They are indeed.
    I doubt I'll be spoiling your fun by saying they'll almost certainly play bits of DSOTM & WYWH too ;)

I had a goo at their website and they'res lost of testimonials from people and one person wrote that was the best 3 and a half hours of their life or summat like that!!!!!.................3 and a half hours jeepers ,these guys really know how to put on a nights entertainment all for 50yoyos too .

joeperry wrote: »
    I had a goo at their website and they'res lost of testimonials from people and one person wrote that was the best 3 and a half hours of their life or summat like that!!!!!.................3 and a half hours jeepers ,these guys really know how to put on a nights entertainment all for 50yoyos too .

Or free as the case is... Mwahahaha

• Advertisement

Or free as the case is... Mwahahaha
    Ok spill the beans,are you in johns ambulance or summat? :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

As a regular concert goer Ive never been enticed to go and see tribute acts.However, Ive heard such good reports about the Aussie Floyd, Im gonna go this time.The fact the Wall is played in full sealed it for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

poundhound wrote: »
    As a regular concert goer Ive never been enticed to go and see tribute acts.However, Ive heard such good reports about the Aussie Floyd, Im gonna go this time.The fact the Wall is played in full sealed it for me.

You'll be glad you did.
    If your eyes are just glassy enough that you can't make out the bands' faces, you'll think it's the real thing. Or as near as you can get to it anyway.

The only tribute band I've seen more than once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭poindexter

any time the australian pink floyd show comes to Dublin i'm there, fantastic act.

went to floyd in 1994, pulse tour, chantilly race course in paris. unbelievable is the only words i can put on it. there was a thunder storm with sheet lightning as they were about to start and it really could have been part of the show.

like someone else said up there, i also got into floyd by watchin the division bell tour, the concert in venice with everyone on boats and gondola's. one lasting memory for me was in comfortably numb, the line 'my hands felt just like 2 balloons' and a girl had her hands up in the air, swaying. cheesy yea, but as a 13 yr old hearing some magic for the first time i knew i had just found my fav new band

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Got myself and the old fella tickets for the Australian Pink Floyd in Dublin, the closest I will ever get to see to the real thing. As for him the fecker has seen them many times back when he were a young scamp :} I think it says a lot when father and son can enjoy the same group stretching such a timescale..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I've seen The Australian PF myself many years ago, they certainly put on a very good show, and definitely worth a look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Are they playing ireland anytime soon?

Yes, in April.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

SKY ARTS channel are having a pink floyd night on xmas night for those that are interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭boycey

A nice spliff, kids in bed, feet up, Dark Side Of The Moon on a decent stereo. Thats a good night in!!

I actually ended up working at a show in Basil, Switzerland, back when they were touring The Division Bell. They played Dark Side..from start to finish. It was a real treat, even though it involved a few days hard graft! Still, i would have done it for nothing once I heard I was gonna get to see a Floyd show. Good times:):):)

Are they playing ireland anytime soon?
    Ah,cool,where is this on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

Iv seen the APFS loads of times over the last 8 or so years. Would recommend it to anyone, fans or not. It is an amazing show and as close to the real thing as you can possibly get.
    Was great when they used to play the Olympia.

Ah,cool,where is this on?

Tis on in the point ( or the 02 as it likes to be known as now).........

One of my alltime favourites...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UB-t39ySEx0&feature=related
    Absolutley love the guitar work...

One thing as odd as it may sound is it makes me sad that there is hardly anything out now that can top the likes of Floyd. Such sheer talent and skill, they did so much with so little.

Dear lord to see the world in which we live where X fACTOR is what people consider a musical piece of greatness and make them number 1 for xmas etc. They havent got the talent to lace Pink Floyds boots.

• Advertisement

One thing as odd as it may sound is it makes me sad that there is hardly anything out now that can top the likes of Floyd. Such sheer talent and skill, they did so much with so little.

Dear lord to see the world in which we live where X fACTOR is what people consider a musical piece of greatness and make them number 1 for xmas etc. They havent got the talent to lace Pink Floyds boots.
    Yes,very true..im not as taken by gilmores solo material though,his floyd stuff is so much better,sad that now there will be no more floyd albums,the division bell and momentary lapse of reason are great albums.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

the division bell and momentary lapse of reason are great albums.

True (read old) Floyd-heads snort! ;)

Momentary_Lapse_US-250.jpg
    Apparently they actually used over 700 hospital beds for this shot,i always thought it was trick photography!Nutters!Imagine setting that one up!:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Havermeyer

Sean_K wrote: »
    GTFO

They are stunningly beautifully amazing and anyone who says otherwise is an eejit:P

Up to a point.

Anything after The Wall was fairly tame imo. I tend not to think of Pink Floyd post 1980. They will always be late 60's and 70's for me.

The defining band of the 70's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Nephilim Wolf

Their an excellent band, and David Gilmours solos are incredible and very memorable.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I think The Wall is one of the best albums of all time.

Dont' see Xmas Pink Floyd Night on Sky ARTS though? Only this (and feature in A Technicolor Dream beforehand at 9pm)...

SERIES: Pulse
    On: Sky Arts 1 (256)
    Date: Thursday 25th December 2008 (starting in 7 days)
    Time: 22:35 to 23:30 (55 minutes long)

Dark Side Of The Moon Live.
    Pink Floyd pack the pyrotechnics for an explosive performance of Dark Side Of The Moon. All the hits from the album, recorded at the record-breaking 1994 Earl's Court concerts.
    (Stereo, Widescreen)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Excerpt taken from DigiGuide - the world's best TV guide available from http://www.getdigiguide.com/?p=1&r=247828

Copyright (c) GipsyMedia Limited.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Nephilim Wolf

Momentary_Lapse_US-250.jpg
    Apparently they actually used over 700 hospital beds for this shot,i always thought it was trick photography!Nutters!Imagine setting that one up!:eek:

I thought it was trick photography myself. Its also a very good album, although it does have a couple of duffers like 'A New Machine' Prt 1 & 2, but thankfully the good songs outweigh the bad ones.

Where were you when I was burned and broken
    While the days slipped by from my window watching
    Where were you when I was hurt and helpless
    Because the things you say and the things you do surround me
    While you were hanging yourself on someone else's words
    Dying to believe in what you heard
    I was staring straight into the shining sun

Lost in thought and lost in time
    While the seeds of lifeand the seeds of change were planted
    Outside the rain fell dark and slow
    While I pondered on this dangerous but irresistible pastime
    I took a heavenly ride through our silence
    I knew the moment had arrived
    For killing the past and coming back to life

I took a heavenly ride through our silence
    I knew the waiting had begun
    And headed straight..into the shining sun

Pure bliss.. One of my favourite bits of guitar work from Gilmour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

mike65 wrote: »
    True (read old) Floyd-heads snort! ;)

Let them snort away. There are some class songs on those albums like On The Turning Away, Sorrow, High Hopes and Wearing the Inside Out.

I just wish the internal politics of the band hadn't thrown the balance out of whack. When Waters, Gilmour and Wright were working together, they made some great albums. I don't think any of them ever managed to reach the same dizzy heights in their solo material .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

As it happens I like Momentary Lapse esp that beguiling opening recorded outside Gilmours houseboat.

Advertisement