Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance Up soon - Some queries

Options
  • 06-12-2008 4:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭

My insurance is up in a few weeks so Im starting to do some shopping around. I just have a few queries re my renewal:

- My insurance is up on Jan 3rd. I turn 26 on Jan 8th. I know 25/26 is a pivotal age bracket for some insurance companies, so would it be worth my while to maybe get temporary insurance, for lets say one week, and then fully renew once i've turned 26? Is it possible the premium will be cheaper when 26 shows up on their database, as opposed to 25? Or does their system account for exactly what age you are, instead of just going by one number?

- I've only been driving for 2 years, both of those with Quinn. Got my full license in July 08, so with 2 years NCB, and with me turning 26 soon, would now be a good time to move to another company? If so, who would you recommend? I have a Golf 1.4, 00 reg, and will be holding on to it for the foreseeable future.

- Quinn sent me out their offer this week to renew with them, and to be fair its a decent offer. I did a quick check last night with a few others (insure.ie, britton) and got back quick quotes that were 40/50 euros cheaper than what Quinn were offering. Obviously I will use this as ammo to get the price down. However, my 2nd year with them involved me paying monthly direct debit. I'm aware this costs slightly more than paying in full. I wish to pay in full this year, so should I expect their offer to fall somewhat (assuming their current offer includes the presumption that I was going to continue with DD)?

- I noticed recently that on last years renewal, the value of my car (as in the value I have it at in my insurance) remained the same as it was the previous year. Does this figure affect the premium? I think I recall doing several test quotes before with varying car valuations, with little or no difference in premium. Seeing as my current value is about 60% of what it was 2 years ago, should I look to change this if I stick with Quinn?

Any info at all will be appeciated lads!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Scottie99

I would try 123.ie or any other broker, I'm also in the same predicament. Was given a renewal of €474, now got it down to €375 online. I think I can get it further when I talk direct.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭fletch

+1 for 123.ie, they insured me with the Travelers insurance company. My renewal was over €800 with Quinn, got insured with 123 for €540 and that includes NCB protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Just tried 123. Entered all my details, and got a quote of 920. I then looked through what they had as a summary of my details which I had entered and it said 24 years of age instead of 25 (i'm 26 in 4 weeks). I changed my DOB back 12 months, then it said I was 25, and the quote was reduced by 200 quid!

I might give them a ring later.

Getting back to my issue with my insurance expiring a few days before my 26th.

Would ye recommend I get temp insurance for a week, then when I turn 26, renew fully?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

get a few online quotes to check out the price difference, just iput your date of birht wrong on some of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Fizman wrote: »
    My insurance is up in a few weeks so Im starting to do some shopping around. I just have a few queries re my renewal:

- My insurance is up on Jan 3rd. I turn 26 on Jan 8th. I know 25/26 is a pivotal age bracket for some insurance companies, so would it be worth my while to maybe get temporary insurance, for lets say one week, and then fully renew once i've turned 26? Is it possible the premium will be cheaper when 26 shows up on their database, as opposed to 25? Or does their system account for exactly what age you are, instead of just going by one number?

-Just get insurance straight away, there's no point in waiting a couple of days. The insurance quotes will be the same.

- I've only been driving for 2 years, both of those with Quinn. Got my full license in July 08, so with 2 years NCB, and with me turning 26 soon, would now be a good time to move to another company? If so, who would you recommend? I have a Golf 1.4, 00 reg, and will be holding on to it for the foreseeable future.

-Try some brokers, Aaran Insurance, AA etc, they are very competitive for males with a full licence.

- Quinn sent me out their offer this week to renew with them, and to be fair its a decent offer. I did a quick check last night with a few others (insure.ie, britton) and got back quick quotes that were 40/50 euros cheaper than what Quinn were offering. Obviously I will use this as ammo to get the price down. However, my 2nd year with them involved me paying monthly direct debit. I'm aware this costs slightly more than paying in full. I wish to pay in full this year, so should I expect their offer to fall somewhat (assuming their current offer includes the presumption that I was going to continue with DD)?

-Go back to them and see what they say about your cheaper quotes, sometimes they'll agree to match them, sometimes they'll say they need proof of the quotes before they'll match it. The premium should reduce somewhat because you're going to pay in full and not by DD. What kind of APR or extra premium was added on last year, there should be a breakdown on your renewal letter.

- I noticed recently that on last years renewal, the value of my car (as in the value I have it at in my insurance) remained the same as it was the previous year. Does this figure affect the premium? I think I recall doing several test quotes before with varying car valuations, with little or no difference in premium. Seeing as my current value is about 60% of what it was 2 years ago, should I look to change this if I stick with Quinn?

-Value isn't a major part of premiums these days, only if it's over a certain bracket (i.e. 50,000€) You have to tell the insurance company what you want to insure your car for. They cannot tell you! They can advise you of the market value which is what will be paid out in the event of a claim, but you have the final decision.

If you can get a discount by reducing the value of your car, then go ahead, just make sure you're not under insuring your vehicle.

Any info at all will be appeciated lads!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,248 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Maybe you could take out a policy, pay it in monthly installments but cancel after 1 month? That way you can get the cheapest policy for a 26 year old.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

I thought the "breaking point" at 25 years, not 26?

Advertisement