Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Labrador pup

Options
  • 06-12-2008 8:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭

How much would such a pup cost through a breeder registered with kennel club?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Tony H

I would not put much faith in IKC breeders , I was looking for a Golden Retriever recently and after looking at some of the breeders with IKC reg pups I was shocked at the conditions in which some of the dogs were kept ,obviously this would not apply to all IKC breeders
    If you want a pedigree dog the best place to start with would be the owners clubs , in your case this would be
    Labrador Retriever Club of Ireland

Mrs. A. Hancock
    48 Shelbourne Road, Ballsbridge, Dublin 4.
    (01-6685244)
    With Golden Retrievers the price from all members of the All Ireland Golden Retriever Club seems to be €650 ,and this price gets you a dog with both parents hip scored and checked for any eye problems , so I would guess a Lab pup would be around the same .

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Very important point above ^^

If their living conditions are not great please don't support the breeder.

Also, if you don't want to pay so much, if you wait for a month or so after christmas there will be so many "cute" puppies like labs looking for new homes. Unwanted gifts. :( :mad:

Very important point above ^^

If their living conditions are not great please don't support the breeder.

Also, if you don't want to pay so much, if you wait for a month or so after christmas there will be so many "cute" puppies like labs looking for new homes. Unwanted gifts. :( :mad:

That's really true about dogs available after Christmas , our last dog Charlie (who we recently had to pts) was a Christmas dog and was found wandering the roads around March before he found us.
    He gave us over 12 years of unconditional love and joy .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

What do people think of websites like donedeal? I know theres puppy farmers on it but theres also reputable people also. Saw this ad which is a good example of what I'm looking for.
    http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/dogs/848099
    We want a young puppy and specific breed and color so we don't want to go shelter route this time.

That looks like the real deal , I recently checked out a link from donedeal in the Limerick area and it was horrifying , there was two retriever bitches and two samoi bitches and 8 retriever pups in the one enclosure , the dogs were filthy , the pups were miserable and malnourished looking and the whole place was covered in sh1t ,

There will be genuine people on that site but the only way to know is to visit the seller and see the parents of the puppy , the conditions they are kept and judge for yourself
    The breeder I was thinking of buying a golden from had the pups in the house and would not even consider selling to me before he talked to the vet that my last dog had been treated by , heres a link to the site
    http://www.riverdancegold.com/

• Advertisement

TBH I think you will find it hard to get a responsible breeder to sell to you so close to christmas.

Hope you find your dog. We officially adopted ours today. :D

Just need a name for him now.

TBH I think you will find it hard to get a responsible breeder to sell to you so close to christmas.

That another condition that we had to agree to as there would be a lot of disruption around Christmas so we were not going to get our puppy until the new year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭ODD-JOB

Why dont you go down and save one from the pound,... ????
    I dont know how anybody supports breeders:confused:Dog farmers, and buy and sell traders. .... when there are so many unhappy dogs on death row.

I guess it depends what you want from your dog though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Jammi

Anybody know of any sites to look at to decide on what type of dog to get, in relation to your own conditions?

What I mean by this, is that I have my own house (end terrace), and have a garden. We used to have a labrador when I was growing up in the family home, but don't know if my own house and garden is big enough for that size of dog again. May have to go smaller.

Any suggestions, anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭leadinglady

Jammi wrote: »
    Anybody know of any sites to look at to decide on what type of dog to get, in relation to your own conditions?

What I mean by this, is that I have my own house (end terrace), and have a garden. We used to have a labrador when I was growing up in the family home, but don't know if my own house and garden is big enough for that size of dog again. May have to go smaller.

Any suggestions, anyone?
    Once the dog gets enough exercise during the day with walks, you should be ok with a lab' especially if he is in at night/evening time. Try go for a lower energy dog as opposed to a smaller dog. Labs would be low energy and are the best family dog to get too.

I would suggest, if you are not bothered about papers or breed, go to a rescue, or look on irishanimal.ie or dogs in distress website and pick out a lab cross who is maybe a bit smaller but would have the characteristics of a lab. I have a golden retriever cross, a smaller version of a retriever really, and he is the most fab dog. He had a great calm temprement but put him out by the canal or in a field with a ball and he goes into mambo mode!! :D

Good luck!!!

• Advertisement

Another option for you would be to foster with a view to adoption. You could have a dog or pup in and see how a dog fits into your life. If it doesn't work out, you have at least saved his life. Rescues are crying out for foster homes at the moment. Just be prepared for tears and "what if's" from the first dog you take in to the last!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭leadinglady

Jammi, I was just on Celtic Animal Lifeline (CALL) web site and on their pages, there is a beauty of a retriever x, Bonnie.... She is very pretty, young and loves to play. Maybe u should have a look...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭gino85

that type of stuff pisses me off, how could people just not want a dog, we had 3 yorkies and my mother got a 4th, i wasnt happy at first that she did get the 4th one but the dog is part of the family now

Advertisement