Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Piont Cook

Options
  • 06-12-2008 9:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭

Hi

Lads need a few suggestions.

Where is a good place to rent in Melbourne

Requirements are

Accessible to CBD by Train/Tram
    Would like a back garden
    3 Bedrooms
    Rent 350 PW
    Decent Neighbourhood Crimewise

My initial thinking is
    Point Cook
    Essendon
    Moonee Ponds

Any ideas ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Zambia232 wrote: »
    3 Bedrooms
    Rent 350 PW

This seems quite cheap. My initial thinking is you could get a place for this price, but it will be either miles away from anywhere, or will be a hole. My 2 bedroom place is $400 a week, although its right in the middle of St. Kilda.
    Decent Neighbourhood Crimewise
    Most places are absolutely fine.
    Just avoid Collingwood!;)
    My initial thinking is
    Point Cook
    Essendon
    Moonee Ponds

Don't know much about these places, but I was in Point Cook once. It's miles away from anywhere. It's bascially typical suburban hell, housing estate after housing estate and the place has no character.

Maybe try somewhere like Northcote. Closer to the city, and a nicer area to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

Point Cook is the 'burbs. Forget it.

Essendon is a pretty nice area. Good Irish pub there too.

Moonee Ponds in another lovely area with its swishy little shops/cafes on Puckle Street.

Given the choice of most favored area to live I would have to say South Yarra / Prahran.

Pricey but über cool :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Rip Roara

Best place for rent in Melboune is with out a dout willamstown or spotswood as prices still good and beach is close by plus up market Eats
    close to city by train and not much crime.

Rip Roara wrote: »
    Best place for rent in Melboune is with out a dout willamstown or spotswood...
    Williamstown is a good area and great in the summer.

The thing that gets to me about Spotswood is the amount of heavy traffic they get as in the volume of semi trailers and other trucks that seem to constantly trundle through the place.

Rip Roara wrote: »
    Best place for rent in Melboune is with out a dout willamstown or spotswood as prices still good and beach is close by plus up market Eats
    close to city by train and not much crime.

Williamstown is nice, but does anything happen out there? Seemed pretty quiet when I was out there.

Where's Spotswood, out that direction too?

• Advertisement

Williamstown is nice, but does anything happen out there? Seemed pretty quiet when I was out there.

Where's Spotswood, out that direction too?

Willamstown has a lot of pubs and night spots. plus a lot of history. Spotswood is betwen Newport and Yaraville But it is not as trendy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Thanks lads food for thought.

Point cook I do have to is admit looks like a huge flatter Clonee.

Sanctury lakes is very Stepford wives

I have to travel out to Essendon, Moonee Ponds on Saturday afternoon to have a gander. might drop a bedroom to see if that gets us somewhere.

I also like the idea of Northcote.

Williamstown and Pahran are just p**ing money away in our scenario.

Keep any good ideas coming.:)

Northcote is a pretty hip and happening area that is not too expensive. Lots of cool bars, cafes, restaurants and vintage stores all along High Street which gives it a unique and alternative vibe.
    Just avoid Collingwood! ;)
    I don't think its that bad down there anymore. When I first came to Melbourne I loved Smith Street because it reminded me of my old neighborhood in San Francisco. I like the different mixtures of people and the edginess of the place.

Theres plenty of good watering holes and cheap eateries around there as well and btw if anyone says a bad word against Collingwood my team they get biffed :D

Thanks lads food for thought.

Point cook I do have to is admit looks like a huge flatter Clonee.

Sanctury lakes is very Stepford wives

I have to travel out to Essendon, Moonee Ponds on Saturday afternoon to have a gander. might drop a bedroom to see if that gets us somewhere.

Williamstown and Pahran are just p**ing money away in our scenario.

Keep any good ideas coming.:)

I worked as a security gard in Moone ponds and had close frends who lived in Essendon. Moone ponds has a lot of drug use and the cops dont care And my frend was robbed 3 times in 12 months.:eek:

dSTAR wrote: »

I don't think its that bad down there anymore. When I first came to Melbourne I loved Smith Street because it reminded me of my old neighborhood in San Francisco. I like the different mixtures of people and the edginess of the place.

Theres plenty of good watering holes and cheap eateries around there as well and btw if anyone says a bad word against Collingwood my team they get biffed :D

Yeah I was only messing, it just has a bad name really. I work in Collingwood (near Smith St) and it's always grand. Smith St is really cool, some great bars along there: Panama, Kent St. etc.

You support Collingwood?:rolleyes: That good to know before any boards beers! I won't be leaving my pint out of my hand in case it disappears!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭missannik

Check out www.realestate.com.au for an idea of prices... I think you'll find that it'll be tough going finding a place that has all that you listed for that price.

Moonee Ponds and Essendon are alright, I'd avoid Point Cook- it's a dustbowl of nothingness. Inner city suburbs to the north and east are generally far more entertaining than those in the west... just a thought. :)

Rip Roara wrote:
    Moone ponds has a lot of drug use and the cops dont care And my frend was robbed 3 times in 12 months.
    I always thought Moonee Ponds was a pretty well heeled and established area.
    You support Collingwood?:rolleyes: That good to know before any boards beers! I won't be leaving my pint out of my hand in case it disappears!
    Hehehe you funny now. But I would keep more of a careful eye on your girlfriend I tell you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭missannik

^ ^ ^ I agree about Moonee Ponds... it's a good area, in my book.

Advertisement