Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile broadband simcard in 3G phone

• 06-12-2008 11:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi,

I was wondering, can we use Mobile Broadband simcard in a 3G phone?
    I have 3G phone and mobile broadband. My current handphone package does not include 3G. So, I think it would be cheaper for me if I use the Mobile broadband sim card for the 3G handphone, just for the internet.

Anyone have any idea?
    Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

i tried this in england and it worked

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭jimmyjim11

works for me here on 3ireland and o2 on unlocked n95 :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

Yeah it works however the other way around, i.e. a Three sim that does not come with a modem cannot be used in their modem. The sim number and imei of the modem are hard coded together.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭jimmyjim11

have a 3 sim (1GB add on) with witch works in a 3G modem ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

flodis79 wrote: »
    Yeah it works however the other way around, i.e. a Three sim that does not come with a modem cannot be used in their modem. The sim number and imei of the modem are hard coded together.
    rubbish, a 3 handset sim can be used in a modem, all you need to do it buy one of the internet bed ons

• Advertisement

Walkman wrote: »
    rubbish, a 3 handset sim can be used in a modem, all you need to do it buy one of the internet bed ons

Walkman, no it's not. I bought the Huawei E160 and Skypephone bundle and wanted to use the sim assigned to the phone in the modem so that I could use the 120 euro free credit and get cheaper Internet. This was not possible, even I had an internet add-on already activated. They told me that broadband modems sims and 3pay normal sims are provisioned differently. So this is not rubbish information, it is 100 % true, and for once 3 gives me correct information since this is 100 % not working.

What you can object vehemently to, though, is WHY they can't change the provision of 3pay normal sim cards to work in the modem. I asked them, what happens if I sell the modem to someone and they want to use it with their own sim? The answer is that, the person can then go to a 3store and get a brand new sim activated and provisioned for modem use in-store. Then it will work.

But it is stupid enough that you can't change provision of a sim that is already used.. I think 3 just don't want to do it. They are just lazy. Their technical support is quite respectable though as of recently.. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Are you sure about that because i've used a 3pay sim in a modem

I'm afraid this is just yet another case where they gave you wrong information

Edit:i've also used modem sims in loads of different modems with no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Icdb

right to use your 3pay as a mobile broadband option... go into settings in my 3 and change your phone... to broadband modem.. then you have the options in add ons.. to buy the data plans..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

Am afraid you're wrong, i have done this many, many times.

But how come my other sim did not work and the original did? Both are set as modems in the settings. Do you have e160 modem?

• Advertisement

But how come my other sim did not work and the original did? Both are set as modems in the settings. Do you have e160 modem?

Did you have the APN set?

Yes, 3ireland I was using the same as the one preset in the modem.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

Stick the 3say sim into the phone, go to my3, access settings and turn on internet access. This is turned off by default on all phones. Then age verify the sim, pop it into your modem and away you go. Apologies Flodis if a was a little bit aggressive in my last post it wasnt ment that way, but this very topic was already discussed in another thread. Maybe I should get a job as a trainer for 3 as they obviously dont know how to train their staff properly as they tell them that things cant be done when they obviously can.

Walkman wrote: »
    Stick the 3say sim into the phone, go to my3, access settings and turn on internet access. This is turned off by default on all phones. Then age verify the sim, pop it into your modem and away you go. Apologies Flodis if a was a little bit aggressive in my last post it wasnt ment that way, but this very topic was already discussed in another thread. Maybe I should get a job as a trainer for 3 as they obviously dont know how to train their staff properly as they tell them that things cant be done when they obviously can.

It is indeed working now. But I had to use 3ireland.ie as APN, and not the 3internet one that is the default one in the Huawei modem. Thanks for insisting that it should work - I got it correctly set up now.

Yes, 3ireland I was using the same as the one preset in the modem.:)

Was just about to say 3ireland.ie when you confirmed problem. Likewise, the UK versions insist it's 3internet when it is in fact three.co.uk

Advertisement