Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MEDION Mini 10" Netbook in Aldi on 11th, €379.99

• 06-12-2008 12:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

MEDION® AKOYA® Mini 10" Netbook E1210 for €379.99

Link here http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/58_7717.htm

Looking for a light wireless laptop for use around the house. I would consider this as it seem very well specified for the price.

Any negative experience with these machines or alternatives with similar specs but larger screen.

I would love an Mac Air but cannot afford one

Ferret

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Thats a better spec than an Advent 4211 or MSI Wind. I'd say its fairly ok!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭ongarite

A quick search of google & Wiki says that this Medion Akoyo Mini is a re-baged MSI Wind U100.
    Some differences from MSI Wind U100 are no built-in Bluetooth (USB Bluetooth included though), 0.3MP camera instead of 1.3MP & different wireless card (Draft N instead of Draft B,G in Win U100).

Medion_E1210.jpg

IMO its a little overpriced. The Samsung NC10 is slightly dearer but has twice battery capacity (7-8hrs), 1.3MP & integrated Bluetooth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭wingnut

It is another rebadged MSI Wind. You can this on Pixmania for €335 but the pix one has 40 GB less HDD and 1 year less warranty. Strange they way the bluetooth is through a mini adapter.

On a second glance, it is abit over priced. Advent 4211 is €379 in Currys. Better reputation, built in Bluetooth etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

160GB HDD in the Aldi varient.

I have the Advent 4211, with an 80GB hard drive, and its great. Small, light, bluetooth, wireless, 1.3 megapixel webcam etc. One word of warning: if a CD or DVD drive is important, it may not be for you. This has a full size QWERTY keys, which was a must for me.

It might be cheaper from the UK in Currys or PC World in the Boxing D- .. koff .. St. Stephens Day sales.

El Reg review

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 ferret

General response is overpriced and some of the features are not necessary. I am still hovering over the idea of a 15" laptop with a decent processor and small HD to keep it light. The 10" screen would take some getting used to. I use a 20" and 22" on dual screen setup on a quad core desktop.

Probably wait until the PC world/Curry sale on 26/27th Dec.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

could this run photoshop and flash and other publishing applications and a tolerable speed?

A mate has an Advent 4211 and it would struggle to run Photoshop etc. Not slow but not uber quick

Placebo wrote: »
    could this run photoshop and flash and other publishing applications and a tolerable speed?

No, not powerful enough. They are designed with for web surfing, email and light office use. The clue is in the name.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

yeah but i was just looking at the specs and they seemed ok, suppose processor isnt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭carbsy

ongarite wrote: »
    No, not powerful enough. They are designed with for web surfing, email and light office use. The clue is in the name.

This is totally untrue.They can run Photoshop, flash etc at a very tolerable speed.I trust ongarite (why bother even commenting!) has never used one where as I have used most of the current ATOM netbooks.

I'd recommened upgrading the memory to 2GB though.The only thing that will hinder you in Photoshop is the size of the screen!

I have a Samsung NC10, carbsy. The Atom processor is a very weak processor, its decoding and math crunching abilities are poor, but then it wasn't designed for that. In benchmarks, a Pentium 4 1.6 GHz or old Celeron is faster than it but then they don't have a TDP of 2.5W.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭carbsy

I have a Samsung NC10, carbsy. The Atom processor is a very weak processor, its decoding and math crunching abilities are poor, but then it wasn't designed for that. In benchmarks, a Pentium 4 1.6 GHz or old Celeron is faster than it but then they don't have a TDP of 2.5W.

Ok ongarite, sorry for jumping down your throat! :) But I had an ASUS 1000 and also MSI Wind and found them both more than usable with Photoshop.Not great, I'll admit but more than usable...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,960 ✭✭✭Soarer

I have a Samsung NC10

QVC are selling this today as their TSV for around £300 + shipping. It's also available on their "easy pay" scheme over 4 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

With ongarite on this one. Use as a netbook, no issue. Dont try to get too clever though.

Open office fine.

Photoshop not fine.

Advertisement