Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

focus problem

Options
  • 06-12-2008 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭

i have a 05 1.4 petrol focus
    last weekend i was out and about and went into a shop, i came back out and the car wouldnt start, each time i tried to start it the headlights flashed and sometimes the speakers made a poppin noise, i'm fairly handy with cars and have changed engines and the like but havent a clue bout electrics
    any one got any ideas

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,367 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

That sounds mad. Highlights just flashed by themselves when starting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭VanhireBoys

When you say didnt start.. Did it turn over on the starter ...? If it didnt it could be the immobiliser which is a problem Ive seen on an 06 1.4 focus. The engine wouldnt turn over and the stereo cut out and odd things happened when you went to start.

I shorted out the starter solonoid to turn it over no problem. Battery and connections no problem. Checked at the starter again to the solonoid trigger wire no juice... Checked from the key down no problem. The immobiliser had failed and the car ended up having to get taken to a dealer to get sorted out... Messy

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

thanks fopr the replies yeah its turnin over but sounded like it was under strain while it was

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Have to checked the mechanics mantra? "Air, Fuel, Spark"?

I would first check the fuel supply is ok... then check that you've got a spark.... then take it from there...

yeah checked the fuel at the fuel rail and its gettin a spark, i'm startin to think its the ecu

• Advertisement

guil07 wrote: »
    yeah checked the fuel at the fuel rail and its gettin a spark, i'm startin to think its the ecu

Have you been able to see if the injectors are turning on? If you had a multi meter this would be quite quick...

If you had carb cleaner, you could spray some into the intake and see if the engine starts/runs on this for a short time....

It would be worth doing a quick scan with a scan tool and seeing what codes it throws up...

Unlikely to be an engine ecu, could be an immobiliser transponder problem, don't know if these give any trouble in the focus, or if there's any lights on the dash to tell you the immobiliser hasn't been recognised....

no the only thing for the immobilisier is a red light over the clock it flashes in a sequence after the car is started if there is a problem
    how would i check the injectors and i was goin to buy a scan tool but was told i'd be betteroff to go to the dealer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

Could be the Fuel return pipe. There were 904 petrol Focus' 2005 models recalled.

Be no harm to ring ford in Cork with your VIN to check if yours was one of the affected ones.

Details of the recall:
    The fuel return pipe is not to specification and will degrade. This could lead to seapage of fuel.
    Remedial Action:
    Recall the vehicles that are likely to be affected and replace the fuel return pipe.

And as an extra bonus if that is the problem, you can leave the car into any Ford dealer and they will replace the fuel return pipe free of charge.

guil07 wrote: »
    no the only thing for the immobilisier is a red light over the clock it flashes in a sequence after the car is started if there is a problem
    how would i check the injectors and i was goin to buy a scan tool but was told i'd be betteroff to go to the dealer

You should be able to read a voltage on the lines supplying the injector, if the ECU is pulsing the injector....

If you spray some carb cleaner into the intake (probably best to remove the air filter and spray into the intake there), while someone is turning over the car... If the car starts and runs for a bit, its a fuel problem.....

ah get ya, yeah i'll try the carb cleaner tomorrow
    thanks for the help much appreciated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭jonnygee

Sorry if this sounds unhelpful in any way but please dont do anything yourself (you will just be wasting your time) and take your car to a main dealer asap.

how is tryin to save money wastin my time, the dealer is my last opiton

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

^Well you could do more damage, considering you dont know anything about electronics. Would be the better option and safer option.

true, i'll chance it though

btw i didnt mean that i dont know anythin bout electrics, just not a whole lot

Advertisement