Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

La Liga week 14

• 06-12-2008 1:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭

Sat 6 Dec 2008 (all times local)
    20:00 Villarreal - Getafe
    20:00 Sporting - At. Madrid
    22:00 Barcelona - Valencia
    Sun 7 Dec
    17:00 Mallorca - Recreativo
    17:00 Osasuna - Valladolid
    17:00 Deportivo - Malaga
    17:00 Numancia - Almeria
    17:00 Racing - Athletic
    19:00 Betis - Espanyol
    21:00 R. Madrid - Sevilla

Real Madrid could be bolstered by the return of four players for sundays game with Sevilla at the Bernabeu in a must win game or else face the prospect of being potentially nine points behind rivals Barcelona going into El clasico next week. Metzelder, Robben, Higuain and Cannavaro all rumoured to return from injury. Meanwhile Sevilla will be without the suspended Luis Fabiano who was red carded against Barcelona last week. Bojan could be set to replace the suspended Eto'o against Valencia in what looks like the game of the weekend. Valencia rested Villa, Silva, Joaquin and Renan for thursday nights Uefa cup tie against Brugge. While second place Villareal look to be in for a tough game away to Getafe who mustered a draw and a victory in their last two outings against Barcelona and Real Madrid.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Without Eto'o this game will be very close. Quite easily a score draw, 1-1 or 2-2. I reckon Henry/ Messi will be played up front, with Bojan and the other on the wings. It'll be important how Villa an Joaquin play, pace could really open up Barca's defense. I'm hoping the new serious winning mentality of this Barca team will pull through though.

2-1 would be ideal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Getafe have gone in front against Villareal. Granero with the goal and its a contender for goal of the season that. Took the cross on his chest and volleyed it into the top corner.

2 - 0 Getafe. Gavilan with the goal and another volley this time into the bottom corner. Getafe are really punching above their weight the past 3 games.

I thought Munoz was a recipe for disaster. Getafe had a working model where they didn't rely on a particular manager, they only relied on having a young manager who can instill a confidence and get the team playing free flowing football. Munoz was an old defensive style manager, but lately he's been getting results, good stuff because I admire little Getafe.

Also, is that fcuking Ray Houghton commentating on La Liga for Sky. What has this world come to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

3-0!!!!!

• Advertisement

3 - 0 . Casquero. I cant believe it and I dont think Getafe can either.

3-0, what a game. Ray doesn't understand that a team bottom half team can beat one of the top 4. Welcome to la liga my friend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Long way to go, could turn out similar to the Villarreal-Atlético game from a few weeks back

That was a crazy goal. Mad I tell you.

3 - 1

Pires rather fortunately makes it 1-3, bizarre goal. The comeback could be on.

• Advertisement

Barca team to face Valencia:

Valdes
    Alves
    Marquez
    Puyol
    Abidal
    Toure
    Xavi
    Gudjohnsen
    Henry
    Messi
    Hleb

Interesting no Bojan in the side. Sergio B and Keita on the bench. I thought Sergio and Keita would have started.

That team would be excellent if Bojan was playing instead of Hleb. Guddy and Xavi is a nice attacking midfield, and with Toure's recent form he deserves games. Don't want him departing for L'Arse or the White Lady anytime soon.

I'd imagine Pep wants to see what all the fuss about Hleb is all about, I'm not surprised that once he's fit he starts. Ditto with Henry, he's too expensive to be kept off the pitch for any period.

What the hell was that free-kick all about ? the thing ended up nearer the bloody corner flag ! Professionals my arse.

3 - 2 Game on now.

They should really be level by now, but fair play anyway, they're putting up a fight to prevent a total collapse of what used to be a formidable home record.

What a game... 3-3, Jesus I love La Liga.

Knew it would be something like the Atlético game!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭~Marky~

What a comeback 3-3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Some dreadful defending. The 'keeper kicking the ball off Pires which went into the goal was ridiculous. Glad Villareal didn't win, they were shocking for the first half hour

• Advertisement

The nerves are getting to me now, I really don't feel confident at all, Valencia are the best team in the league with their style to end Barcelona's current unbeaten run.

Edit- That's an awesome mural at the Camp Nou, Cules always do awesome ones for big games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Nice early scare for Valencia...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Anyone have a stream in English?

Beautiful goal. Absolutely beautiful. Maybe this will persuade the doubters that we are the real deal.

1-0 Barca lovely chip from Henry

What a ball...

*eyes Yaya covetously*

Frisbee wrote: »
    What a ball...

*eyes Yaya covetously*

If you cover up the blue part of the Barcelona jersey they look like an effective Arsenal team. :pac::pac::pac:

eZe^ wrote: »
    If you cover up the blue part of the Barcelona jersey they look like an effective Arsenal team. :pac::pac::pac:

Ooooo snap.

We'' see Yaya in a Gooner jersey next year hopefully...

I wish...

Also, interesting statistic on David Villa this season. Prior to this game he has had 24 shots (not sure if thats overall or just shots on target), and 12 goals. He has missed one shot already, that means his next shot will be a goal. :(

• Advertisement

Also, interesting statistic on David Villa this season. Prior to this game he has had 24 shots (not sure if thats overall or just shots on target), and 12 goals. He has missed one shot already, that means his next shot will be a goal. :(

You can't argue with concrete proof like that...

Henry is on fire 2-0

HEN-FCUKING-RY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dynamite Arsenal goal there.

I miss you Thierry.

Btw, if anyone is wondering about the tag on Barca's jersey, it's a campaign in association with another UN charity in aid of refugees, there is a line of clothing with the logo the players have on the shirts tonight and the profits from the sale of the clothes go to the charity.

Amazing stuff. Pure class.

• Advertisement

Pretty much one way traffic so far. Messi looks like he is from another planet at times. Commentators here were joking he looks like a chicken at times running around with the ball and nobody can catch him. Valencia have been poor thus far.

Is there any money that could buy Messi?
    Say City offered €200 million, would it be turned down without a 2nd thought?

JPA wrote: »

Not without a 2nd. though.
    200million is alot and would make Barca even think about it. Don't think they'd sell though

JPA wrote: »

I'd say the only reason Messi will be sold by Barcelona is if he is mistreated by the club, I really don't think Barcelona would sell him, we no longer have massive debt thanks to Laporta.

Goal shouldn't have stood, but.

ALLLLLLLLLLVVVVVVESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Better than Roberto Carlos. No seriously.

• Advertisement

That goal was signposted as soon as Alves made that run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Goal shouldn't have stood, but.

ALLLLLLLLLLVVVVVVESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Better than Roberto Carlos. No seriously.

great goal.

Carlos can defend and when caught out of position always got in tackle something thats seems lost on Alves.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    great goal.

Carlos can defend and when caught out of position always got in tackle something thats seems lost on Alves.

Disagreed, but whatever.

Alves was bad defensively at the start of his Barca career, but he hasn't been the reason for the team conceding a goal in at least 8 games. He is every bit as good as Carlos in defense, probably better, it was in attack where Carlos came out on top. Now that Alves is at a top top club though, I can see him doing as well as the Madrid legend.

Disagreed, but whatever.

Oh you will see in time :p, he cost Sevilla enough goals over the years Mosquera was put inside him to cover the enormous space he leaves when he goes wandering. Cant argue with his bring the ball forward quickly skills he one of the best players in the world for that, but hes not a very good defender.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

I'd say the only reason Messi will be sold by Barcelona is if he is mistreated by the club, I really don't think Barcelona would sell him, we no longer have massive debt thanks to Laporta.

This may be Champo talking but doesn't every player in Spain have a release clause?

Bubs101 wrote: »
    This may be Champo talking but doesn't every player in Spain have a release clause?

The player can still say no.

Only way i could see any top young player like Messi Benzema going to city is if they get a new manager.

Messi could be offered 500k a week at City he could go for that alone, but reckon the club would have to be able to offer a genuine ability to win leagues and CLs .

Cant see that happening but im sure city will find loads of Chimbondas and Bogardes to sign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭juvenal

4-0 Henry (hat-trick)

Just walked in the door and put it on. Looks like a totally dominant performance by the result, how good have Barca really been?

Bubs101 wrote: »

Indeed, but the player himself has to agree to leave before it works. Plus, all the big teams have a gentleman's agreement where they won't buy a player using the release clause unless the players club agrees.

Jesus Alves, you love the exaggeration, stand up and dust yourself off, you're a grown man!
    dreamers75 wrote: »
    Oh you will see in time :p, he cost Sevilla enough goals over the years Mosquera was put inside him to cover the enormous space he leaves when he goes wandering. Cant argue with his bring the ball forward quickly skills he one of the best players in the world for that, but hes not a very good defender.

He was also the main reason Seville challenged for the title in 06, won the Copa Del Rey and won two Uefa cups in a row.

That was an awesome performance by barca, more so with the defending as you expect that kind of attacking play from them.

Should give Keita back to Sevilla tho :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement