Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

03 opel vectra

Options
  • 06-12-2008 2:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

Hi all,

At the moment I'm driving a 01 laguna II 1.6 and the amount of problems I am having with it is unbelievable, only yesterday on my way back from cork the engine just cut out!!!! No warning or nothing just went dead until I started it again which took a few attempts!!

So I was thinking of changing it for a 03 vectra 1.8 gts and I was just wondering what is this car like??? Good or bad........... Also considering the fact I do alot a miles a week, about 300-400 I would also like to know what mpg it would do????

Any advice or suggestions welcome!!:)

Thanks in advance!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

Had a 03 1.8 Elegance and the mpg was shocking. 22mpg around town! Not a great engine. They replaced this engine in 04 to a VVTi which was mlies better in both mpg an pick up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

They're in the same league tbh, I'd buy a Ford Mondeo or some Jap.yoke if you just want to get from a to b. I'm a bit suprised you got to Cork in the Renault in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 White Wolf

furtzy wrote: »
    Had a 03 1.8 Elegance and the mpg was shocking. 22mpg around town! Not a great engine. They replaced this engine in 04 to a VVTi which was mlies better in both mpg an pick up.

The reason why I thought it would be somewhat good was because I had 99 astra and never had any problems with it so I thought the vectra would be similiar if not better however I am shocked by the fact it will only do 22mpg!!:eek: I honestly thought it would do a lot more than that!
    junkyard wrote: »
    They're in the same league tbh, I'd buy a Ford Mondeo or some Jap.yoke if you just want to get from a to b. I'm a bit suprised you got to Cork in the Renault in the first place.

I dont know about a mondeo, I heard they had their own problems no??? Ye well considering the amount of problems I have had with it everytime its starts is a bonus for me but at the moment I would say I would be lucky to get 2 grand for it. Would/Do garages still take trade in's????

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭BrianD3

If you are having starting/cutting out problems with your Laguna it may well be due to a dirty flywheel sensor. Removing the sensor to clean it takes about 5 minutes and even if it needs replacing it's not a expensive item.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Cpaw

What do you expect OP when you buy a Renault or Reno whatever the hell you call them:rolleyes:

Just get a Ford Focus, they the the bees knees :)

• Advertisement

BrianD3 wrote: »
    If you are having starting/cutting out problems with your Laguna it may well be due to a dirty flywheel sensor. Removing the sensor to clean it takes about 5 minutes and even if it needs replacing it's not a expensive item.

Ye I had this trouble before and brought it to renault and they cleaned the throttle body or box or something like that and now its happening all over again but worse!! Just tonight I tried to start it and it took 16 attempts before it kicked in!!!:eek::rolleyes:
    Cpaw wrote: »
    What do you expect OP when you buy a Renault or Reno whatever the hell you call them:rolleyes:

Just get a Ford Focus, they the the bees knees :)

Yes I agree with you there alright thats why I want to get rid of the crock of **** asap!!!!!:mad:

So would a vectra be a bad idea then?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,248 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

OP did you look at the Mazda 6? They can be had for similar money as the Vectra but are light years ahead of it in almost every area. Lovely to drive and well built, just don't buy the diesel version as they have been known to have major issues.

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=1270162

I had a Vectra back in 99 and I can honestly say it was the worst ball of **** I ever owned. It broke my heart, depreciation was shocking on them and they were terrible to drive. Opel dealer aftersales is also non existant.

Regarding the Mondeo, I'm not sure who is telling you these stories but the Mondeo is a way better car than the Vectra. Just avoid the Mondeo LX, the 1.8 litre only has 110bhp ,the 1.8 Zetec has 125bhp and more toys:

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=1224756

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

bazz26 wrote: »
    I had a Vectra back in 99 and I can honestly say it was the worst ball of **** I ever owned. It broke my heart, depreciation was shocking on them and they were terrible to drive. Opel dealer aftersales is also non existant.

That Vectra in fairness is very different to the one you would've had. I personally haven't heard anything really negative regarding the outgoing Vectra's reliability either. They aren't really a bad car.

OP did you look at the Mazda 6? They can be had for similar money as the Vectra but are light years ahead of it in almost every area. Lovely to drive and well built, just don't buy the diesel version as they have been known to have major issues.

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=1270162

Regarding the Mondeo, I'm not sure who is telling you these stories but the Mondeo is a way better car than the Vectra. Just avoid the Mondeo LX, the 1.8 litre only has 110bhp ,the 1.8 Zetec has 125bhp and more toys:

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=1224756

Hi bazz,

Thanks for the info, never considered a mazda 6 but after seen those pictures I would be interested alright! Not a bad car at all!! Do you have one yourself??

There seems to be alot of bad stories bout the vectra so I am starting to have my doubts now!! Reliability is what I'm after more than anything followed by good mpg!

Never really thought about a mondeo though...........what are they like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Tony Broke

With the kind of milage you do OP, I would be going diesel.Your talking 35mpg from 1.8 mondeo or Mazda 6.

Passat or A4 would be my choice.

• Advertisement

VolvoMan wrote: »
    That Vectra in fairness is very different to the one you would've had. I personally haven't heard anything really negative regarding the outgoing Vectra's reliability either. They aren't really a bad car.

I think the vectra gts looks much nicer than the rest of the competition, I'm sure they would have improved since 99??:confused: Surely they cant be as bad as people say??? And a renault for that matter??

Tony Broke wrote: »
    With the kind of milage you do OP, I would be going diesel.Your talking 35mpg from 1.8 mondeo or Mazda 6.

Passat or A4 would be my choice.

And what kind of mpg from a diesel like the ones above, Passat or A4.

Hi White Wolf :)

To be honest I think the Vectra is now well and truly outdated, It came out in 02 I think? Plus it has since being replaced with the new Insignia which has also led to the vectra name drop. Also stay away from the 1.6, as said the mpg is dreadful and with your milage diesel is the better option.

Why not try the Passat 1.9 TDI, Holds its value and an all round great car. There are some great bargains to be had out there now. However that heap of ****e you have is worth **** all :D Is it the new model from 2001 onwards?

Cpaw wrote: »
    Hi White Wolf :)

To be honest I think the Vectra is now well and truly outdated, It came out in 02 I think? Plus it has since being replaced with the new Insignia which has also led to the vectra name drop. Also stay away from the 1.6, as said the mpg is dreadful and with your milage diesel is the better option.

Why not try the Passat 1.9 TDI, Holds its value and an all round great car. There are some great bargains to be had out there now. However that heap of ****e you have is worth **** all :D Is it the new model from 2001 onwards?

Yep thats the one. Ye I thought that alright! Right so back to the drawing board! Really considering a diesel now aswell! Was also thinking of going north for one, would I get a good deal and what would the vrt average??

Thanks for your help so far!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Tony Broke

White Wolf wrote: »
    Yep thats the one. Ye I thought that alright! Right so back to the drawing board! Really considering a diesel now aswell! Was also thinking of going north for one, would I get a good deal and what would the vrt average??

Thanks for your help so far!

You could get a good deal from the north, but its a pain in the ass.You have to vrt it straight away, do an nct, sort out road tax and so on.You will get a bargain here as well if you play hard.

I would be aiming for 03/04, 1.9 tdi ( 110bhp or more ), less than 100k miles, for less than 7k.

Tony Broke wrote: »

I would be aiming for 03/04, 1.9 tdi ( 110bhp or more ), less than 100k miles, for less than 7k.

Why more than 110bhp? That can contribute to an increase in insurance costs. Also hoping to get one for less than than 7k with them years and milage is just not gonna happen :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,248 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Maybe that model Vectra is not as bad as the one before it but I still think that a Mazda 6 or Ford Mondeo of similar vintage are streets ahead of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

Maybe that model Vectra is not as bad as the one before it but I still think that a Mazda 6 or Ford Mondeo of similar vintage are streets ahead of it.

Of course. But if your expectations aren't too high in the first place the Vectra will probably live up to them. It's a no-nonsense sales rep's car through and through.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Countryripple

PM sent to Whitewolf

Advertisement