Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

General "ability to drive" question

Options
  • 06-12-2008 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭

Hi,

I own a car and am insured on that car with third party fire and theft.(I am the policy holder). I only have a provisional driving license. My sister has her own insurance (third party fire and theft) on her own car (she is a fully qualified driver). However, her car has broke down and she wishes to drive my car.

(With my permission), Is she legally allowed to just jump into my car and drive it? or does she need to be a named driver on my insurance policy first?

cheers

dan.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Depends whether her own policy covers her to drive other cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

Should be no hassle, though she has to call her insurance company and tell so she is covered.

There used to be an 'open' driving policy where your could drive any car to the same limit as your own, but am pretty sure thats not covered with Third, party F&T.

Tell her to call her insurance company, give them the reg and tell them for how many days she will be driving it and away she goes. Think its free to do that too..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

It will say on her insurance cert whether she is or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,367 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Feelgood wrote: »
    Should be no hassle, though she has to call her insurance company and tell so she is covered.

There used to be an 'open' driving policy where your could drive any car to the same limit as your own, but am pretty sure thats not covered with Third, party F&T.

Tell her to call her insurance company, give them the reg and tell them for how many days she will be driving it and away she goes. Think its free to do that too..

This is not exactly right. What you are suggesting I think is to get her to switch her policy to OPs car. Yes this will cover her but OP still needs the car too and I dont think you can have two policies in force on a car at any time.
    Best thing to do would be to check her policy to see if it allows driving other cars. If yes, all is fine but she will only be third party in all cases.
    If no, get her insured on OPs policy. It will most likely make it cheaper overall.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,515 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

'open drive' is only available on fully comp. I can guarantee (with the exception of specific policies) she cannot drive your car under her insurance. Plus, alot of open drives are dependant on age criteria too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement