Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Astec Alarm Keeps Going Off

• 06-12-2008 2:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭

I've an Astec alarm installed in my house that keeps going off in zone 3. It gives u the 30 second warning like the one u get when u open the front door before it properly goes off and then the message is "entry zone 3". But there never is any entry in zone 3 the doors or windows are never tampered with when this happens.

I've checked the contacts and all the magnets are ok, i've also checked the sensors and all the wires seem to be ok. I can even open the doors and windows about 5 millimeters when the alarm is on without setting it off.

Anyone have any ideas what the problem might be ? Tempted to change all the sensors and contacts in zone 3 but don't know where i could get them and the last time i call the engineer that put in the alarm (before i bought the house) all i could get out of him was "it'll cost u €75 just to get me out to u" over and over again so wanna avoid him if i can.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

The system is seening an extra 360 ohms (approx) on zone 3 so it is seeing it as an entry exit contact open.How old is the system? On newer software it can be programmed to ignore this if there is no entry device on that zone.
    This is the best way to find this problem.
    Get a long lenght of cable enough to reach from the panel to all the devices on zone 3.
    At the panel disconnect zone 3 & connect to a pair on this cable.
    Connect the other end of this cable to your multi meter.
    The reading should be around 1520-1550 ohms.
    Go round each device tapping/opening & closing, When closed again the readings should return to their original values.
    Do this untill you get it sticking at a higher reading of 1800 or more, that is where your problem will be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Do exactly what koolkid said. You have a faulty mc sensor on that zone that method will find it for you, if you are not competent enough to do that employ an Alarm engineer (yes fishdog, an engineer) to it for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

yes fishdog, an engineer
    :D:D:D
    Or perhaps an alarm professor ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Zorba

Great thanks for all the quick replies, was actually thinking it was a faulty sensor somewhere, there's only 3 of them in zone 3 so was thinking of just buying a new sensor, seen them for 25 quid and replacing each one in that zone till the problem disappears, think i know which one it is though.
    koolkid wrote: »
    The system is seening an extra €360 ohms (approx) on zone 3 so it is seeing it as an entry exit contact open.How old is the system? On newer software it can be programmed to ignore this if there is no entry device on that zone.
    This is the best way to find this problem.
    Get a long lenght of cable enough to reach from the panel to all the devices on zone 3.
    At the panel disconnect zone 3 & connect to a pair on this cable.
    Connect the other end of this cable to your multi meter.
    The reading should be around 1520-1550 ohms.
    Go round each device tapping/opening & closing, When closed again the readings should return to their original values.
    Do this untill you get it sticking at a higher reading of 1800 or more, that is where your problem will be.

The alarm is roughly 4 yrs old, this zone 3 problem is was happening every now and again but it's happening more often now. If i take off the panel cover doesn't the alarm go off ? Do i not need the engineer code for it ? Also would i not be easier to just do the new sensor thing like i said above ? Actually am i right in thinking it's a faulty sensor ?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Zorba wrote: »
    The alarm is roughly 4 yrs old, this zone 3 problem is was happening every now and again but it's happening more often now. If i take off the panel cover doesn't the alarm go off ? Do i not need the engineer code for it ? Also would i not be easier to just do the new sensor thing like i said above ? Actually am i right in thinking it's a faulty sensor ?
    If you open the panel the alarm will go off. The internal siren only.
    You don't need an engineer code, the user code will disarm it.
    You could just swap out the sensors & there is a good chance that will solve it. But it is also possible its a wiring problem . I would look at the end of line connection first. Make sure one leg of the resistor is not loose.

• Advertisement

If you open the panel the alarm will go off. The internal siren only.
    You don't need an engineer code, the user code will disarm it.
    You could just swap out the sensors & there is a good chance that will solve it. But it is also possible its a wiring problem . I would look at the end of line connection first. Make sure one leg of the resistor is not loose.

Ok thanks very much for your help. First 2 yrs we were in the house the alarm hardly ever went off so that's what has me thinking one of the sensors is on the way out, but i'll take the panel off and have a look there before i do anything with sensors.

I found a site where i can buy an Aritech Inertia Sensor will this work ok with my Astec alarm, assume it will or does the sensor have to be an Astec one or will any sensor work ?

Astec sensors are required with Astec panels.

fishdog wrote: »
    :D:D:D
    Or perhaps an alarm professor ??

Would an Alarm Professor be qualified?????:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

Would an Alarm Professor be qualified?????
    To the same extent as an Alarm Engineer:rolleyes:

How did you get on Zorba...
    If ya need anything give myself or Fred Funk a shout we are full time installation engineers with about 40 years experience between us.
    Did you get my Pm? If you want a couple of Astec sensors let me know.

• Advertisement

How did you get on Zorba...
    If ya need anything give myself or Fred Funk a shout we are full time installation engineers with about 40 years experience between us.
    Did you get my Pm? If you want a couple of Astec sensors let me know.

Just got your email been busy the last few days so haven't got a chance to look at it yet, sent u a pm.

Dont worry Zorba.. We'll get a licenced professional to sort this for you :p

Advertisement