Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

People with a death wish (fog)

Options
  • 06-12-2008 2:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭

Driving through Cork City at about 8.30 this morning. It was still a bit dark and very foggy.

Low and behold, the first driver I came accross had no lights on. I flashed him. Low and behold, the second driver I came accross had no lights on. I flashed him. He got angry and started to beep the horn at me.

In fact, i'd estimate that of all the cars I passed this morning, only half of them had lights on at all.

How stupid are these people ? If you don't realise you need to turn your lights on then you shouldn't be allowed to drive.

The faster the gov gets off its arse and brings in day time running lights the better cause from what I can tell a lot of Irish motorist can't tell when they need to turn them on.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

The faster the gov gets off its arse and brings in day time running lights the faster cause from what I can tell a lot of Irish motorist can't tell when they need to turn them on.
    +1. I see at least one car a day driving in the dark with no lights on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭AugustusMaximus

Just a little point.

After a bit of research, it turns out that the EU Commission has passed a law meaning that all cars in the EU from 2011 onwards will have daytime running lights.

Good to see someone's thinking. Why the delay though ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

An average, I see about 2 or 3 cars with no lights on. Half of these would acknowledge what they done. I despise those extra bright halogens though. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Just a little point.

After a bit of research, it turns out that the EU Commission has passed a law meaning that all cars in the EU from 2011 onwards will have daytime running lights.

My mk4 came standard with day time running park lights (ie. there's a wiring problem and they won't go off). I think it's a good idea, like most modern bikes you can't turn the lights off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭VanhireBoys

I always drive with the dips on - simply so that earlier mentioned "donkeys" have a chance of seeing you.....:(

I think Saabs and Volvos have daytime running lights since the 70's

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

Just a little point.

i wonder how many extra litres of petrol that would burn a year

towel401 wrote: »
    i wonder how many extra litres of petrol that would burn a year

.000000001?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

With Ford if you choose the option of daytime running lights/ xenon HID you get rear leds are as standard.

Having your lights on all the time will burn them out faster so usually low loading LEDs will lengthen the life and energy consumption.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Yeah I see this all the damn time.

My lights are always on, I turn them on before I even start the car up, habit really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭cmcsoft

I always drive with my lights on, it's just a habit I developed and I think its a good one. It makes sense to make it compulsory. I don't see what the big deal is about driving with lights on

• Advertisement

I could not get the camera out of the centre arm rest last night fast enough. There was a car coming towards me whilst I was stopped at the shop with only fog lights on. It has no dipped lights or sidelights.

Madness.

I could not get the camera out of the centre arm rest last night fast enough. There was a car coming towards me whilst I was stopped at the shop with only fog lights on. It has no dipped lights or sidelights.

Madness.

But sure that's the cool thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

.000000001?

Per car per year or per second?
    A car with the lighs on uses approximately 1-3% more fuel. The additional electricity must be generated, so the extra fuel is burned.

I think that the major problem is in education. How many hours do you have to spend with qualified driving instructor before you apply for your driving test in this country? None? That's the problem. Most of drivers have no idea about safe driving and technical culture of using a car.

Regards.

But sure that's the cool thing to do.

I doubt they even worked at all. If the fogs were on the sidelights should have been on. I would say there is some type of wiring issues. How would you not notice on those back roads?

Seweryn wrote: »
    Per car per year or per second?
    A car with the lighs on uses approximately 1-3% more fuel. The additional electricity must be generated, so the extra fuel is burned.

I think that the major problem is in education. How many hours do you have to spend with qualified driving instructor before you apply for your driving test in this country? None? That's the problem. Most of drivers have no idea about safe driving and technical culture of using a car.

Regards.

I think i took about 8 or 9 hour long lessons with my instuctor. Lol, after three he told me that i was grand, but i kept taking them just 'cos. If your going to learn you might as well learn it right.

I think i took about 8 or 9 hour long lessons with my instuctor.

I agree and you did the right thing. But you didn't have to take any lesson and just pass the test. There is no obligation with that and that's wrong. There should be a course, say minimum 20-30 hours with the instructor plus the teory that everyone should complete before applying for the lincence. Otherwise we are going to see these idjits all the time.

Seweryn wrote: »
    I agree and you did the right thing. But you didn't have to take any lesson and just pass the test. There is no obligation with that and that's wrong. There should be a course, say minimum 20-30 hours with the instructor plus the teory that everyone should complete before applying for the lincence. Otherwise we are going to see these idjits all the time.

Aye i agree with you, but i think the costs would be OTT for people to pay. Although if it saves lives it could be worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Madness.

An Audi Q7?
    A white one came at me last night, I thought there'd been a supernova

nipplenuts wrote: »
    An Audi Q7?

Far from it. A 01 Pug 206

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

nipplenuts wrote: »
    An Audi Q7?

VAG Cars generally require the parking lights ("sidelights") to be on to turn on the fogs.

Last week in the thick fog I and the Tractor towng a straw laden trailer in front was overtaken at the same time by a banged up old POS with no fogs, no dips, no parking and no indicators on a blind corner. D1ckheads are the ones crashing into ditches then getting the blame place on "speeding"..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

I'm getting tired of flashing people with no lights on at dusk & night-time.
    You know those signs that say "your speed is 80kph", can someone invent one that sees a car with no lights and says "Turn your lights on you dumb prick"

Also, what do you do when the car behind you has no lights on and your driving in an Urban area. Flash your fog lights :confused:

I'm getting tired of flashing people with no lights on at dusk & night-time.
    You know those signs that say "your speed is 80kph", can someone invent one that sees a car with no lights and says "Turn your lights on you dumb prick"

Also, what do you do when the car behind you has no lights on and your driving in an Urban area. Flash your fog lights :confused:

Pointless, if they cannot notice their entire dash in black except for the radio then they will hardly notice you.

I have given up on flashing people for not having their lights on at dusk as well.

One to be fair had her lights on but none of her front lights worked, only the back. How in gods name would a person not know?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

I have a problem with my headlights the last few days; they flash on and off as I brake because the switch is broken. So I avoid my dipped lights as much as daylight allows and will do until I can get it fixed to avoid getting my head kicked in. :D

That aside dipped lights are a major help, to the point of essential, especially at this time of year. The amount the increase visibility is amazing when you take not of it...just look at the cars coming at you next time you drive and look at the difference.

sdonn_1 wrote: »
    I have a problem with my headlights the last few days; they flash on and off as I brake because the switch is broken. So I avoid my dipped lights as much as daylight allows and will do until I can get it fixed to avoid getting my head kicked in. :D

Incorrect bulb fitted somewhere in the system. Find it, replace it and bobs your uncle, problem solved.

Look at your dash when the car is moving and indicate, brake your dash will look possessed. Crazy stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Incorrect bulb fitted somewhere in the system. Find it, replace it and bobs your uncle, problem solved.

Look at your dash when the car is moving and indicate, brake your dash will look possessed. Crazy stuff.

I didn't think of that. I was tempted to think it was the switch 'cos it needs very little pressure to turn the beams on (ie it doesn't need to be pushed all the way into position, just tapped and they come on). Hence the brake= lights-on response. They were flashing on the dash just for a sec when the indicator self-cancels also.

That and there's no bulb been replaced for a long time, and they were grand, both lighs still working btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,991 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I turned on my dips when I collected my car from the dealers in August, they've not been turned off since. Its not as much of an issue with my current colour (slate grey), but on my previous colour of car (azure blue), I saw a serious enough crash caused by the car disappearing in sunlight glare - a Seicento the exact same colour had managed to become invisible, and a car pulled out of a side road in to its direct path.

Even when you assume dips aren't needed, they're a safety feature. In fog, they're absolutely essential.

I usually drive in rural areas... Anyway... yes, I turn the rear fog light for a moment, then (if it didn't work) the emergency hazard lighs, break lights and then I give up. What can you do if the one behind you is a pure idjit?

Pointless, if they cannot notice their entire dash in black except for the radio then they will hardly notice you.

I have given up on flashing people for not having their lights on at dusk as well.

One to be fair had her lights on but none of her front lights worked, only the back. How in gods name would a person not know?

As my park lights are always on, so are my dash lights, so this results in the rare occasion of me forgeting to turn on my lights:o

As my park lights are always on, so are my dash lights, so this results in the rare occasion of me forgeting to turn on my lights:o

True of most people in an urban area. They assume their lights are on to a suitable level.

• Advertisement

True of most people in an urban area. They assume their lights are on to a suitable level.

And the country lads just assume people will see them without thier lights on:p

Advertisement