Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I want more than 1mb!!

Options
  • 06-12-2008 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭

368244048.png

I want more than 1mb!!

I am based in Enniskerry, Co.wicklow.
    Im with eircom atm.

I want to increase my internet connection speed for downloading and especially for gaming.

Any advice and help appreciated!

How come my speed is at .85mbs rather than 1mb, what Im paying for!
    Is this because of the busy networks around my area?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

880kb/s is about what you would expect for a 1Mb line. there are overheads with phone lines that will slow it down.
    that is a good speed for the line that you are paying for but you could phone eircom and ask them to test your line incase there is anything bad on the line - might get a bit more performace (not likely). past time you would have to see if you could get it upgraded

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

That is just about full speed possible for 1mbit.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,169 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

There are overheads of about 15% on adsl lines.

1024kbps*85% = 871.25kbps

You are getting exactly what you are paying for.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Yeah, call eircom to see if it's possible to increase the speed of your broadband connection up to 3 mbit, their next package up.

If your ping times to the likes of rte.ie are consistently over 50 milliseconds, your line is probably too long for high speeds and has a setting called interleaving set to high, which slows the ping time down. But it helps give you a consistent connection speed.

The overhead on your 1 mbit or 3 mbit package if you can get it will always be there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Galen

I'd give my eye teeth for a 1 mbit connection but wisp is all that's available.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭97i9y3941

try another isp?,have 8mb with digiweb myself

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭BaRcOe

Galen wrote: »
    I'd give my eye teeth for a 1 mbit connection but wisp is all that's available.

You live in a field?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Galen

Yes I'm stuck in a field and Eircom have no intention of upgrading my local telephone exchange (although local Eircom technician claims it's due but more than likely crap). So my only choice is wireless or dare I mention it, satellite.

The service from the wisp is great, but only 512kb but I could be stuck on dial up.

Advertisement