Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women in positions of power.

Options
  • 06-12-2008 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭

Just read a short news piece that half of Obamas national security team is female. Hillary Clinton as Secretary of State, and Janet Napolitano as Secretary of Homeland Security and also Dr. Susan E. Rice as the US Ambassador to the United Nations. Same in Australia, women being put into positions of Treasury and Foregin affairs, are women hitting their stride on the political stage?

With an Africian American in The White House and women being put into powerful positions... are the time really changing? Or will there be a back lash from the more traditional corners of the world, a womans place is in the home, kids etc?

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I think Obama is clever enough to recognise talent and ability, regardless of gender, and has just picked the best people for the job. The fact that a significant number of them are female may just be coincidental. However, it may also be that the advancement of women's rights since the late 60s has meant that women like Hillary Clinton and Janet Napolitano are better educated and have more experience than many of their predecessors. Their age profile means that they are now part of the generation that's in charge of stuff, whereas before there may not have been as many "older" women with the right qualifications to be considered for senior jobs, which meant they were excluded when their generations were in charge of stuff.

The other factor to be considered is that women in general have become more involved and interested in politics. For many years it was considered mainly a male preserve, but again since the late 60s women have become more politicised and it's inevitable that this would eventually lead to a point in time where women occupied a greater number of senior positions. It can only be a good thing, imo, as there's something wrong with a society where half the population are so massively under-represented. Seeing what's happening in other countries may encourage more women to get involved in politics here. The fact that only 22 out of 166 TDs (13%) are women is pretty shameful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Jules wrote: »
    Just read a short news piece that half of Obamas national security team is female. Hillary Clinton as Secretary of State, and Janet Napolitano as Secretary of Homeland Security and also Dr. Susan E. Rice as the US Ambassador to the United Nations. Same in Australia, women being put into positions of Treasury and Foregin affairs, are women hitting their stride on the political stage?

With an Africian American in The White House and women being put into powerful positions... are the time really changing? Or will there be a back lash from the more traditional corners of the world, a womans place is in the home, kids etc?

It's too early to tell I think. Still too much danger of being the 'token' woman. Not unlike Sarah Palin...ahem

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

There will be a blacklash!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

ellscurr wrote: »
    It's too early to tell I think. Still too much danger of being the 'token' woman. Not unlike Sarah Palin...ahem

Of all the women in politics...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

I think Obama is smart enough to know he got some votes because he's black. He knows the underdog wins people over, so i think he's trying to get the public en masse on side before he even starts the job. As far as any of them being any good, i think i'll reserve my judgement for when they are actually in power and see how many election promises are kept and what really changes.

Generally i think women in power are viewed as cold and bitchy. Even in my own work when a woman in a higher position is mentioned its usually accompanied by derogatory comments. Whether its jealousy or not, women are viewed still as the housewives and the babymakers, and to be anything else seems to label women cold hearted and power thirsty.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Having women in a cabinet is eye catching but meaningless. Look at how many women are in the senate and house of representatives for a true image of political life.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,364 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

LolaDub wrote: »
    I think Obama is smart enough to know he got some votes because he's black. He knows the underdog wins people over, so i think he's trying to get the public en masse on side before he even starts the job. As far as any of them being any good, i think i'll reserve my judgement for when they are actually in power and see how many election promises are kept and what really changes.

He was never the underdog!! And the only people who vote based on colour, voted for McCain. If he never had the public on board, he'd never have won the election.
    Generally i think women in power are viewed as cold and bitchy. Even in my own work when a woman in a higher position is mentioned its usually accompanied by derogatory comments. Whether its jealousy or not, women are viewed still as the housewives and the babymakers, and to be anything else seems to label women cold hearted and power thirsty.

Women who are cold and bitchy tend not to be very good at their jobs and usually get caught out before they get that far.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Peared

What's the betting many of the debates will centre around menstruation and the fact that women are 'unhinged' for a few days every month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭GirlInterrupted

Condaleeza Rice has been Secretary of State for the Bush Administration with largely, a respectable record, and some aclaim. She's surely the poster girl for minorities in power, being the first woman of colour to hold such high office.

However, she's not the most influential or powerful black woman in the world.

Thats got to be Oprah Winfrey.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

Condaleeza Rice may of served as Sec of State.. but she wasn't very good and personally if woman want some one in the political field to look up to it should be Aung San Suu Kyi or more closer to home our own Mary Robinson.

• Advertisement

Condaleeza Rice may of served as Sec of State.. but she wasn't very good and personally if woman want some one in the political field to look up to it should be Aung San Suu Kyi or more closer to home our own Mary Robinson.

What do you feel was lacking in Rice's work? What has Suu Kyi done to warrant such praise?

Suu Kyi gave everything she had for what she believes in. She has been under house arest on and off since 1989. She a strong, intelligent and idealistic woman who, under the worse possible conditions has never stop fighting for what is right christ her husband was diagnoised with cancer and she would not leave her country as she would not be allowed back in. She didn't even see him before he died.

Rice is a poster girl.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭chops1990

Did you know that nostradamus predicted a black pope? and said that six months of being put into that position he'd be executed, world war 3 would break out, and the next war would be fought with pitchforks. Maybe the people who translated it were wrong and this will transpire when Obama is assassinated in six months....

Rice is a poster girl.

I already said that.

She deserves some credit. She's been widely acknowledged as being the architect of her ''Transformational Diplomacy'' initative. She's the first woman of colour to hold such high office.

She looks really good in heels....:).

And she's a classical pianist who plays to concert pianist level.

She's achieved a lot more than most of us will.

I'm not taking anything away from her just answering a question.

As a woman Suu Kyi gave up the man she loved, her children.. her life for what she believed in. Yes i'm sure there are many many more women like her all over the world but she has always been an inspiration to me.

chops1990 wrote: »
    Did you know that nostradamus predicted a black pope? and said that six months of being put into that position he'd be executed, world war 3 would break out, and the next war would be fought with pitchforks. Maybe the people who translated it were wrong and this will transpire when Obama is assassinated in six months....

This is not a thread about obama or nostradamus. Please stay on topic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

It's tokenism.
    Like having Ms Harney as sub-taoisach, or Obama as Pres in the US.
    Make the underclasses feel warm and toasty.

When women can learn to spell correctly, then they'll have a chance :)

The only place a woman should be in a position of power is the bedroom. Hahahahaha, before I get lynched I'm only messin

nipplenuts wrote: »
    It's tokenism.

Since when has being female or black made you a part of an underclass??

I'm ignoring the last part...you spelt Taoiseach wrong.

It's tokenism.

Who are these 'underclasses' you speak of, and what makes you think that they are interested in tokenism?

• Advertisement

Ah, right so. When females can understand irony and the use of a smilie I'll vote for them. Easier?

hahahahaha. This is gonna be one of those battle of the sexes things isnt it???

Well I'm male, so I don't see why it would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

I'm not taking anything away from her just answering a question.

As a woman Suu Kyi gave up the man she loved, her children.. her life for what she believed in. Yes i'm sure there are many many more women like her all over the world but she has always been an inspiration to me.

sounds like someone who's emotionally unbalanced not someone I'd want working in tesco's never mind leading a country.

devotion to your belief system is one thing......

being a level headed intelligent politician in modern society is another.

As a woman Suu Kyi gave up the man she loved, her children.. her life for what she believed in. .

I'm not sure how much honour there is in giving up your children...but yes, she was inspirational.
    Ah, right so. When females can understand irony and the use of a smilie I'll vote for them. Easier?

I was just thinking the same thing about men. But without the smilie.

I have no idea why it should be.

Yup, its turning out to be one of those battle of the sexes things I was talking about. I'm gonna sit back and watch all the bitchin take place right in front of me. :D

I was just thinking the same thing about men. But without the smilie.

Ah. Bless.

I have no idea why it should be.

coz nipplenuts is making it be one :D

Ah. Bless.

Grrrr....!
    coz nipplenuts is making it be one :D

Not playing :P.

• Advertisement

One more off topic, smart arsed comment .. and the poster will be banned.. im looking at you chops and nipplenuts.

Advertisement