Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women in positions of power.

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Jules wrote: »
    Rice is a poster girl.

I am increasingly of the view that it is not men who keep women from power and deny them promotions, but rather other women. Whether this is out of jealousy or, more likely, a greater ability to see what is lacking in another woman I do not know.

It may well come to a point where more men than women vote for female candidates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Grrrr....!

Not playing :P.

Me neither :P

Sorry Jules. Fun post made while you were posting your warning

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

/takes off mod hat.

I must correct myself she didn't give up her children, they live in the UK and are not allowed in Burma to see their mother. And she cannot leave as she would not be allowed back into Burma.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I actually don't see Aung San Suu Kyi as being relevent to this discussion at all. Yes, she's inspirational, both to men and women, because she had given up so much to stand by her beliefs. However, she's not in a position of power, other than to act as a figurehead for the Burmese opposition, albeit a very significant figurehead. However, Condoleezza Rice, like her or loathe her, is one of the most powerful female politicians in the world. I have little time for either her boss or her party, but I'm sure she has been an inspiration to some women, particularly black women, who now realise that they can ascend to the highest levels in politics and be taken seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

*concurs*

Suu Kyi may have made sacrifices, but whether they have led to anything important, whether they have changed anything in Burma or just made her into a living martyr is hard to know. On the other hand Rice has taken on a tough, important job, and although I don't have any sentiment for her party I think she has done a decent job-hasn't started any wars for one! She's an intelligent and thoughtful woman, but being in the position of secretary of state hasn't really changed anything. The fact that she is only the second black person and second woman to have held the position (first black woman to hold it if we must sub divide our minorities), combined with the fact that Obama's female appointees are actually a talking point, shows how much ground is yet to be crossed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Condoleezza_Rice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

I would tend to disagree, she is very much in a position of power, just look at the amount of influence she has, and support she has gained from the path she has taken. She has made the eyes of the world look at Burma and made people notice the issues within the country.

I'm not saying i know a lot about politics, or world affairs but as a woman i would see her in such a light due to what she has done.

Advertisement